πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

Eagles starting roster/age. (First or second round picks)

QB - Wentz, 26
RB - Howard, 24 (Sanders, 22)
WR - Alshon, 29
WR - DeSean, 32 (Arcega-Whiteside, 22)
WR - Agholor, 26
TE - Ertz, 28 (Goedert, 24)
LT - Peters, 37 (Dillard, 23)
LG - Seumalo, 25
C - Kelce, 31
RG - Brooks, 29
RT - Johnson, 29

DE - Graham, 31
DT - Cox, 28
DT - Jackson, 29
DE - Barnett, 23
LB - Bradham, 29
LB - Brown, 29
CB - Mills, 25
CB - Darby, 25 (Jones, 23)
NB - Maddox, 23
FS - McLeod, 29
SS - Jenkins, 31

Β 

We literally have 4 starters over the age of 30, two of which already have a 1st or second round pick waiting in the wings to take their snaps. I'm sure that number from last year is buoyed by 33 year old Corey Graham, 33 year old Micheal Bennett, 33 year old Chris Long, and 34 year old Haloti Ngata who all played significant snaps for us last year, mostly due to injury and are no longer on the roster.

Β 

Edited by Hockey5djh

Also because it was a realtively easy google I'll give you some bonus age stats...

NFL ranks in parenthesis.Cowboys may be younger but the eagles are trending in the right direction. I'd imagine that number lowers again this year.

Team 2018 2017 2016 2015

Eagles 25.7 (11) 26.4 (23) 26.5 (28) 26.7 (28)
Cowboys 25.4 (3) 26.1 (17) 26 (12)

26 (14)

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

For the record, I 100% disagree with this. All your best players are going to be ~29 this season or older. You are in the mature stage of the lifecycle. Possibly even decline.Β 

And yes, Wentz maybe under 29 but he is in a 50 year olds body.Β 

We’re in a growth spurt within the analogy of the little brother. Growth as in success. We’re in the middle of currently great success. Every year twist and turns that statement but as of now, perennial playoff team, arguably best roster in football and one of the top oddsΒ to represent the NFC in the SB.Β 

Β 

And for the ~29 point, that’s the price of a contending SB team. Rarely isΒ thereΒ a team of collective 25 year old competing for a championship. But it’s obviously a liquid environment. You have guys on your team sitting behind veterans ready to take the next step. Agholor, Goedert, our whole CB corps, Barnett, etc all ready to take the next step.Β Besides our best offensive and defensive players are 28 and Wentz (pretty much the only thing that really matters) is still young. Howard is 24, justΒ drafted a RB high and Arcega-Whiteside could be our next Alshon. It’s all a moving plot and changes from season to season. High hopes for 4 of our young DBs. Say 75% of those guys take major steps and we’re saying how young we are next year.Β 

Wentz detractors will go away if he plays a full season healthy. He plays a bit reckless. I don’t think he’s quite injury prone per say. He’s still a young kid playing a position where 35 year olds are still playing optimally.Β 

We have more cap space than you.

Do you? Spotrac has us with more this year and we have all of our guys signed more or less for the next two years.Β 
Brandon Brooks being the only huge one after the next two seasons, and he's a guard.

You have a ton of free space next year, but the Cowboys still have to try and sign Jaylon Smith, Zeke, Dak, Amari, Byron Jones next year (since Zeke wants paid early)
And there are a bunch of other guys ready to get resigned too in the next two years. Just those guys put you over where we are as is with even just conservative estimates on their contracts.
Β 

If their culture has actually changed they will play hardball and not resign guys over market value. If they haven't, they will do what they usually do and overpay everyone and get stuck again.

Β 

The problem with the Cowboys is that they actually drafted too well and haven’t been able to produce big wins while these guy still are young. Usually there’s a good mix of strong veteran guys with younger cheaper guys contributing to make some successes. The Cowboys turned their roster around quick but now those key guys are all looking to cash in, rightfully so. And there’s no way they can keep everyone that’s important to them.Β 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Do you? Spotrac has us with more this year and we have all of our guys signed more or less for the next two years.Β 
Brandon Brooks being the only huge one after the next two seasons, and he's a guard.

You have a ton of free space next year, but the Cowboys still have to try and sign Jaylon Smith, Zeke, Dak, Amari, Byron Jones next year (since Zeke wants paid early)
And there are a bunch of other guys ready to get resigned too in the next two years. Just those guys put you over where we are as is with even just conservative estimates on their contracts.
Β 

If their culture has actually changed they will play hardball and not resign guys over market value. If they haven't, they will do what they usually do and overpay everyone and get stuck again.

Β 

Signing Dak, Zeke, and Amari leaves them with about 20 Million next year, then they can make some cuts and probably use the remaining space to resign Byron Jones and Jaylon Smith, I figure they'll have $10-15 M left after it's all said and done.

Both teams are utilizing their cap space to the fullest.Β 

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

Eagles starting roster/age. (First or second round picks)

QB - Wentz, 26
RB - Howard, 24 (Sanders, 22)
WR - Alshon, 29
WR - DeSean, 32 (Arcega-Whiteside, 22)
WR - Agholor, 26
TE - Ertz, 28 (Goedert, 24)
LT - Peters, 37 (Dillard, 23)
LG - Seumalo, 25
C - Kelce, 31
RG - Brooks, 29
RT - Johnson, 29

DE - Graham, 31
DT - Cox, 28
DT - Jackson, 29
DE - Barnett, 23
LB - Bradham, 29
LB - Brown, 29
CB - Mills, 25
CB - Darby, 25 (Jones, 23)
NB - Maddox, 23
FS - McLeod, 29
SS - Jenkins, 31

Β 

We literally have 4 starters over the age of 30, two of which already have a 1st or second round pick waiting in the wings to take their snaps. I'm sure that number from last year is buoyed by 33 year old Corey Graham, 33 year old Micheal Bennett, 33 year old Chris Long, and 34 year old Haloti Ngata who all played significant snaps for us last year, mostly due to injury and are no longer on the roster.

Β 

You changed the argument. What I said was: "All your best players are going to be ~29 this season or older"

That list includes:

Alson,

Deshean

Ertz

Peters

Kelce

Brooks

Johnson

Β (7/11 offensive starters)

Graham

Cox

Jackson

Bradham

Brown

McCleod

Jenkins

(7/11 defensive starters)

Or 64% of your starters are 29 and older this season.Β 

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

Also because it was a realtively easy google I'll give you some bonus age stats...

NFL ranks in parenthesis.Cowboys may be younger but the eagles are trending in the right direction. I'd imagine that number lowers again this year.

Team 2018 2017 2016 2015

Eagles 25.7 (11) 26.4 (23) 26.5 (28) 26.7 (28)
Cowboys 25.4 (3) 26.1 (17) 26 (12)

26 (14)

Average age per snap played is the more indicative measure. It removes all those 6th sting 21 year olds. The Cowboys were like 3rd youngest (1st in the playoffs). The Eagles were the oldest.Β 

(according to Reddit)

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

You have guys on your team sitting behind veterans ready to take the next step. Agholor, Goedert, our whole CB corps, Barnett, etc all ready to take the next step.Β Besides our best offensive and defensive players are 28 and Wentz (pretty much the only thing that really matters) is still young. Howard is 24, justΒ drafted a RB high and Arcega-Whiteside could be our next Alshon.

Thats a bunch of unprovens and mediocre players....

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Β 

It’s all a moving plot and changes from season to season. High hopes for 4 of our young DBs. Say 75% of those guys take major steps and we’re saying how young we are next year.Β 

Wentz detractors will go away if he plays a full season healthy. He plays a bit reckless. I don’t think he’s quite injury prone per say. He’s still a young kid playing a position where 35 year olds are still playing optimally.Β 

Hes has some sort of injury every year since highschool, yet he isnt injury prone?

Just injury unlucky I guess.Β 

49 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

The problem with the Cowboys is that they actually drafted too well and haven’t been able to produce big wins while these guy still are young. Usually there’s a good mix of strong veteran guys with younger cheaper guys contributing to make some successes. The Cowboys turned their roster around quick but now those key guys are all looking to cash in, rightfully so. And there’s no way they can keep everyone that’s important to them.Β 

I guess we will just have to keep being one of the best drafting teams in the NFL....

:Shrugs:

40 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Average age per snap played is the more indicative measure. It removes all those 6th sting 21 year olds. The Cowboys were like 3rd youngest (1st in the playoffs). The Eagles were the oldest.Β 

(according to Reddit)

A lot of those snaps are from the aforementioned Michael Bennett, Chris Long, Haloti Ngata, and Corey Graham.Β 

I do think the Eagles will look towards pass rusher early in next years draft unless Josh Sweat takes a huge step forward and lives up the sheer potential he has to a large degree. Average age of our starting lineup right now is 28.09, subbing in Dillard for JP brings it down to 27.45. Yeah a bit old, but definitely not decrepit.Β 

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

A lot of those snaps are from the aforementioned Michael Bennett, Chris Long, Haloti Ngata, and Corey Graham.Β 

I do think the Eagles will look towards pass rusher early in next years draft unless Josh Sweat takes a huge step forward and lives up the sheer potential he has to a large degree. Average age of our starting lineup right now is 28.09, subbing in Dillard for JP brings it down to 27.45. Yeah a bit old, but definitely not decrepit.Β 

Yeah I'd expect a 1st round DE, or them going after someone in Free Agency/trade

Thats a bunch of unprovens and mediocre players....

Hes has some sort of injury every year since highschool, yet he isnt injury prone?

Just injury unlucky I guess.Β 

Well, when you have studs playing in front of them, you won’t know until they play. That’s how the NFL works. You find talent and play them until their money outweighs the talent. I’m not bringing up a AAA CF when Mike Trouts playing for me.Β 

He plays entirely too risky for his position. But it’s one of the reasons why he’s so good. He’s willing to extend plays while a guy like Eli has been diving on the ground for 20 years. There’s a happy medium. I’m confident Wentz will find it. Eli dives on the ground and hasn’t missed a game. Wentz is diving into end zones getting sandwiched by defenders because he’s trying to score. It is what it is. He’ll mature.Β