Is Mike Thomas A 'Tier 1' Wide Receiver?

BlaqOptic

Is Can't Guard Mike A Tier 1 Wide Receiver?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Is Can't Guard Mike A Tier 1 Wide Receiver?

• Yes, Definitely!
    • Yes
    • No, But Close
    • No
    • No Way In Hell!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/02/2019 at 05:00 AM

Just now, Destructo Spin said:

But corners cover better than linebackers, so it should be easier for RBs to make those catches, since they're closer to the LOS AND being covered by inferior coverage players.

Not when they have more ground to cover before the defense closes. 

1 minute ago, Destructo Spin said:

Set NFL records for catch percentage

Lead the league in receptions

#1 is a function of running short routes and having a QB who set the NFL record for completion percentage. The same is true of #2. Antonio Brown and Julio have both had seasons with more receptions than Thomas posted this year. Receptions is an unimportant stat. You still can't give us something the guys in Tier 1 aren't capable of doing. Simply put, they're better WRs than Thomas. He's not a top 5 WR.

7 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

"receptions is an unimportant stat"

LOL, this has gotten really stupid. I'm not even going to bother anymore at this point.

Yep, it is. It's like thinking carries is an important stat for HBs.

On 1/16/2019 at 7:11 PM, tyler735 said:

Or he's statistically had one of the better first 3 years to start a career for WR in NFL history. Most catches by a WR in NFL history through their first 3 seasons (321 catches- 2nd best is 288 catches). Also joined Randy Moss and Odell Beckham as the only WR's to surpass 1,100 receiving yards in each of their first 3 NFL seasons.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nola.com/saints/2018/12/saints-michael-thomas-sets-record-for-most-receptions-through-3-nfl-seasons.html%3foutputType=amp

He has also played brilliantly in the playoffs the past 2 years, and had a crazy catch rate of 85% this year, which if I'm not mistaken led the NFL.

It was 95%

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

#1 is a function of running short routes and having a QB who set the NFL record for completion percentage. The same is true of #2. Antonio Brown and Julio have both had seasons with more receptions than Thomas posted this year. Receptions is an unimportant stat. You still can't give us something the guys in Tier 1 aren't capable of doing. Simply put, they're better WRs than Thomas. He's not a top 5 WR.

I don't think anyone in the top 5 has a better catch radius or hands than MT, maybe ODB. In terms of route running, I mean, he's equal to all of them if not better than a few. Better route runner than Julio or Green IMO. I don't think its outrageous to have MT as the #6 guy in that tier 1 of WRs.

I don't think anyone is saying he's better than Julio or ODB or AB. Just that he deserves to be amongst the upper echelon of WRs.

2 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Yeah, he's great in both areas. Don't know you can say he's considerably better as MT just shattered the catch % record. 

Regardless, ODB and Nuk are the only two guys who I think could be argued.

I'm not sure how catch percentage is calculated, but Hopkins is the 2nd WR in league history to not record a drop in a single season - so that would put his catch rate at 100% (depending on how this stat is calculated).

https://247sports.com/nfl/houston-texans/Article/DeAndre-Hopkins-best-hands-in-the-NFL-125649158/

Archived