2019 Expansion Draft - Which players would you put up?

Dome

Imagine the NFL announced an "expansion draft" planned for two new teams, THIS YEAR! No further announcements have named any locations, team names, or anything. Just that there will be two new teams in need of players. The rules for the expansion are surprising.

1. Each team must list six players from their current roster that can be "drafted" by one of the new teams. 
    1. Players that are UFAs heading into 2019 can not be put on the list.
    2. Players that ended the 2018 season on IR can not be put on the list.
    3. Punters and kickers can not be put on the list.
    4. If one of these players is selected by a new team they take that contract salary, bonuses, guarantees and all.
    5. Once four of a teams players have been chosen, the other two will return to their roster.

2. Each team must offer two of their Top Ten highest paid players against the 2019 Cap.
    1. Each of the two new teams are given two picks at the end of the 2019 Draft 1st Round (Picks 33, 34, 35 and 36 before the 2nd Round Begins).
    2. The new teams may each select up to two of these 64 listed players in exchange for one of those 1st round picks going back to the team from which they took the player. Or they can opt to keep the picks for the end of the 1st round in the 2019 draft.
    3. If one of these players is selected by a new team they take that contract salary, bonuses, guarantees and all.

Who do you list for your favorite team? Who could actually be a good player for their new team? Who are you just trying to unload?

OverTheCap lists salaries and stuff for 2019 to make this easy. Just click your team

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

For the Saints: 

Derek Newton - OT with no knees

Dwayne Washington - HB who I've never really seen

Austin Carr - Mediocre at best slot WR. Not a strong athlete.

AJ Klein - Decent 4-3 linebacker that can play all 3 spots. $6m 2019 cap hit makes him expendable. 

Kurt Coleman - Terrible signing from the start, no way anybody takes us up on this one but it was worth a shot.

Josh Robinson - Mostly just a special teamer. Don't know much about him.

Andrus Peat - $9.625m option in 2019 - He's very inconsistent, but a change of scenery could help and you could get him resigned pretty easily if he's showing signs of life in 2019. Doubt he's selected.

Max Unger - $8.7 owed in 2019 - Doubt we have any takers here, he's not much of a run blocker the last couple years and he's about done with his career.

49ers: 

Malcolm Smith - Terrible signing from the start. Just awful. Hasn't been able to stay on the field, dealing with injuries, and when he has played, surprise! he's not any good...

Earl Mitchell - actually still playing at a competent level if you want a big body to take on some double teams. But his time here has run it's course. He's older, a little overpaid, and the team has a younger option ready to go. 

Gary Gilliam - He's meh as a tackle, crazy overpaid at 5 million next season as a swing tackle, and can be easily replaced by Shon Coleman at 700K next year. There's no reason in the world he should be on the 49er roster. 

Max McCaffrey - roster fodder who meets the requirements. 

Matt Dayes - roster fodder who meets requirements. 

Weston Richburg (highest paid) - Fits the 49er offensive line well, but he was pretty awful last year. One of the highest paid centers in the league last year, one of the most mediocre to poor. He was by far the worst player on our offensive line last year, and that line included something called a "Mike Person". When you can't play better than the dude with a name that sounds like the Madded default name for a create a player, you're done. 

Jerick McKinnon (highest paid) - Is he any good? I have no idea. But he makes a ton of money, and it was pretty evident that this was a completely unnecessary expensive signing. The signing was a ridiculous overpay to begin with, and without him playing a game last year, the 49ers had a very competent run game. Matt Breida and Mostert averaged 5.3 and 7.7 yards per carry (the latter obviously on a limited sample) with the reliance on a washed up Alfred Morris early on in the season (3.9 ypa) an undrafted, not as fast Jeff Wilson  late in the season (4.0 ypa). McKinnon is overpriced and superfluous and probably fairly easily replaced. 

Garrett Celek - One of the longest tenured 49ers on the team, his time has largely run it's course. He's 31 years old, has become a little more hit / miss in the blocking game, and saw his season's receiving numbers drop to levels he hasn't seen since he was a fringe te3. 

That's probably where i would lean. 

Chiefs:

Daniel Sorensen S, not bad but overpaid for the 3rd safety (top 10)

Anthony Hitchens LB, not worth the money so far (top 10) - this also assumes that it works like a post-June 1 cut/trade

Eric Murray S

JD Moore RB

Dillion Gordon TE

Deon Yelder TE

Another option for me would be Sammy Watkins. But that's only because I hate his contract. But again, it'd have to work like a post-June 1 cut/trade

Alex Collins- Close to a 1000 yard rusher, has talent. Fumbling issues is why I’d let him go.

Patrick Ricard- Big old school fullback that can move the pile. I’d only get rid of him because we seem to be moving towards more of a TE centric offense and Ricard isn’t a true factor in the passing game.

Alex Lewis- Quality OL player, has been a starter. He just doesn’t do anything well enough to make me comfortable. We have the depth and talent to replace him.

Maurice Canady- he’s got starter quality agility, but we’re very deep at corner. I’d only part ways with him as a means of giving him an opportunity somewhere else.

Tony Jefferson- He’s a starter, but not a good schematic fit. He should be cut this offseason anyway.

Michael Crabtree- Probably the most expendable player on a somewhat big contract that we have remaining. His hands are an issue, but he’s a gritty player with nice veteran savvy. Doesn’t complain just goes out and looks to execute.

1. Joe Flacco- Getting rid of his contract in its totality would make this a no brainer. Getting a high pick for him would be a great boon. He could be the QB they use to get the pieces in place for their future franchise guy.

2. Brandon Williams- One of the best interior run stoppers in the game, but he’s not a pass rushing threat. Getting rid of his contract with a high pick would be worth moving on. 

For the Patriots:

1. TE Rob Gronkowski - $11.86M against 2019 Cap - He's still a deadly blocker (ESPN says he won like 98% of his blocks), but he isn't enough of a receiving threat anymore to warrant a 12-million-dollar cap hit. He's still a capable receiver, but his numbers just don't justify it anymore, especially if I have to include two top-ten cap hit players.

2. TE Dwayne Allen - $7.31M against 2019 Cap - See above. Allen is a worse blocker than Gronkowski and offers literally zero value as a receiver anymore. A seven million dollar cap hit for Allen is ridiculous, and I'd be fine letting an expansion team take on that contract.

3. C James Ferentz - Ferentz is really a back-of-the-roster player. Dumping him wouldn't be a huge deal.

4. DE Keionta Davis - See above.

5. S Obi Melifonwu - Again, see above.

6. QB Brian Hoyer - He's the backup quarterback; I don't really think he'll be that important. If they won't even let him throw the ball in garbage time, they might as well just have Etling be the backup.

1. Aaron Colvin (top 10 salary). A FA signing last off-season, he's been hurt most of the time. When he was heathly, he wasn't special, couldn't play boundary CB and really didn't look special at slot CB. 

2. Zach Fulton (top 10 salary). Another FA from last off-season, Fulton was better that Senio Kelemete, but he was still pretty bad in his own right. He's also injury prone as well.

As far as the rest...

1. Kevin Johnson (concussion risk, generally bad CB).

2. Demaryius Thomas (significant injury at 32, losing him would save $4.5mm towards the cap).

3. Ryan Griffin (Slight cap savings, and the Jordans' are better).

4. Senio Kelemete (Injured all the time and simply not good. New G will be needed on both sides).

5. Buddy Howell (roster fodder)

6. Brandon Weeden (simply to upgrade the backup QB spot).

Archived