Leisher's 2019 Mock draft 1-16-19

jleisher

For this draft, I used Matt Miller's Big Board updated 1-16-19, as a guide and added some of my own players.

Free Agents:

BRE183598.png  Bashaud Breeland  CB  3yrs/$20m / $7m cap hit 2019

JAM239797.png  Jesse James  TE  3yrs/$10m / $2m cap hit 2019

BAR550678.png  Anthony Barr  Edge  3yrs/$36m / $10m cap hit 2019

COB365535.png  Randall Cobb  WR  1yr/$6m

Draft:

#12.  download.jpg?zoom=0.9024999886751175&res

Scouting Report: Jeffrey Simmons

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Mississippi State Position: Defensive Tackle Class: Junior Height: 6-4 Weight: 295 lbs Projected Draft Round: 1-2

Scouting Report:

He was much maligned before he even set foot on the field for the first time, but Simmons has pulled off the ultimate 180, setting examples with his leadership and commitment to being the ultimate student athlete. As to his skills at the position, excellent burst speed and great strength which make him an excellent interior rusher. Will need to work a little on his technique in run defense as he relies a bit too much on athleticism and superior strength to power through. Could play in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme.

#32.  Christian Wilkins - 2019 NFL Draft

Scouting Report: Christian Wilkins

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Clemson Position: Defensive Tackle Class: Senior Height: 6-4 Weight: 310 lbs Projected Draft Round: 1-2

Scouting Report:

A potential matchup nightmare for offensive coordinators at the next level, Wilkins is able to be effective all over the defensive line. A tackle for loss machine, he will need to continue to work on his pass rush technique, and could end up as a top 10 pick in next year’s draft. Suitable for any defensive scheme.

#44.  Johnathan Abram NFL

Scouting Report: Johnathan Abram

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s 2019 Mock Draft

School: Mississippi State Position: Safety Class: Senior Height: 6-1 Weight: 200 lbs Projected Draft Round: 1-2

Scouting Report:

Safeties in the NFL are becoming less and less specialized, so they all start with one dominant skill, but have to display a versatile array of skills to be picked high in the draft. Johnathan Abram comes first as a hard hitting, in the box type safety, and he has plenty of tape to display those talents. However, he has shown good instincts with finding the ball and making plays in coverage. His ability to cover tight ends and running backs, cover deep, and continue to produce against the run and with blitzes, he can secure a high place in the next year’s draft.

#75.  Austin Bryant

Austin Bryant, 6’5, 265 pounds = Clemson University.

Mr. Bryant is a very gifted athlete that has all the potential to be a Pro Bowl DE in the NFL  The young man is an explosive pass rusher with good height , length and strength for his size. What I love about Mr. Bryant is that he’s very versatile where he can play up or down along the line of scrimmage . Austin Bryant will be a solid player at the next level. Go Tigers ! Number Team in the country !

#114.  Cameron Smith - 2019 NFL Draft

Scouting Report: Cameron Smith

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: USC Position: Inside Linebacker Class: Senior Height: 6-2 Weight: 245 lbs Projected Draft Round: 1-3

Scouting Report:

A tackling machine, Cameron Smith is re-establishing the reputation of USC linebackers. Is able to quickly diagnose plays and always seems to find himself in the right place. Superb tackler, and takes excellent angles in the open field. Will be the leader of an NFL defense sooner, rather than later once drafted.

#118.  Kaleb McGary NFL

Scouting Report: Kaleb McGary

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Washington Position: Offensive Tackle Class: Senior Height: 6-6 Weight: 318 Projected Draft Round: 2-4

Scouting Report:

When able to set against a defender is almost impossible to beat, but for a tackle with such a long, athletic frame, has tight footwork. Strong hands and anchor, and when facing a bull rush, stands his ground. Good awareness in pass pro. As with most offensive tackles coming out of this system, will need to completely re-work much of his technique, but his upside is

#151.  Jared Pinckney NFL

Scouting Report: Jared Pinkney

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Vanderbilt Position: Tight End Class: Junior Height: 6-5 Weight: 255 Projected Draft Round: 2-5

Scouting Report:

Big bodied tight end that is a true combination of pass catcher and blocker. Excels at exploding out of cuts extremely well for a player his size and has an excellent knack for getting open. Runs crisp, well executed routes. Catches the ball away from his body well, and can post up defenders when coming back to the ball.  (Sorry, I added Jared to this mock.)

#187. 

Josh Terronne Prescod NFL

Scouting Report: Terronne Prescod

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: N.C. State Position: Offensive Guard Class: Senior Height: 6-5 Weight: 340 Projected Draft Round: 3-5

Scouting Report:

Powerful run blocker that dominates defenders using overwhelming power. Able to get a strong initial punch and able to get to the next level quickly. For his huge frame, moves fairly well in space and takes good angles in the open field to seal off lanes for runners. Anchors extremely well in pass protection, and very difficult to move. Nice feet for a bigger man. Will benefit from an NFL training system to lose some bad weight and maximize his frame.  (Another player I added that I liked.)

#195.  D’Andre Walker NFL

Scouting Report: D’Andre Walker

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Georgia Position: Outside Linebacker Class: Senior Height: 6-2 Weight: 240 Projected Draft Round: 3-5

Scouting Report:

A high motor, smart linebacker that is experienced and has grown as a playmaker throughout his college career. On tape, it appears that his discipline and experience are driving his production, as he doesn’t quite yet seem to trust his immediate read and react instincts to attack the edge. Is not a sloppy off the edge by any means, but his technique there has not been developed to its fullest. Is a linebacker that coaches can trust not to make foolish mistakes, and his position at the next level is up for debate.

#228.   Tony Pollard

Tony Pollard  WR/RB/RS  Memphis

Dynamic playmaker, capable of going the distance any time he touches the ball.  Gadget type player and RS, not a polished receiver.  (Walter's Football Scouting)

I know some players are rated to go in rounds earlier then selected in this mock, but we all know, players drop.  Enjoy!

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'll be honest, this seems overkill on the DL situation.  I think at best, we're looking at one Day 1 or Day 2 DL pick at most.

You could be right, but I was looking at the fact that Daniels is slowing down and could be gone in 2020, no Wilkerson, so that leaves Clark and Lowry.  Both Simmons and Wilkins offer insurance for 2020 and up grade over Lowry, possible.  Here, your looking at a front 3 of Simmons, Clark and Wilkins in 2020, Bryant would play Edge.  Also, it's been pointed out that Pettine likes pressure from the front line more then his Edge LB.  That was my logic at the time.

11 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Is Cameron Smith projected that high?  He kinda fell off and was always injured after that impressive FR season.  

He seems to bounce from as high as 2nd round to as low as 5th round.  Depends on who's big board your looking at, so using a 4th round pick was more then fair.  

Even with Barr, I don't think enough is done here to address EDGE. That position needs an infusion of young talent. 

I wouldn't be upset about Cobb on a short prove it deal, but as much as he's been hurt I'm not giving him $6 million per year.

Too many good TEs in the class to pass on that position again. Need some cheap young talent to develop there.

Really took care of the DL.  Got a little EDGE help in the draft, but not immediate.

Unsure about Barr at EDGE...but...if you line him up there with Fack, Gilbert and Perry, that would be serviceable.

And I think Cobb is done.  If GB only offered Jordy a vets minimum deal, I'd have to think that if Cobb comes back...it would be at the vets minimum as well.

Very unique mock.  Really reinforces the DL trench and adds another linebacker who sounds similar to Martinez (whom I really like).  Also...I like the reinforcements on the O-line.

While I like the mock, I can't help but wonder if EDGE should have been one of the first two picks....EDGE and DL with those first two picks, in either order.  Polite/Wilkens or Simmons/Ferguson.

That being said...I did like the Mock!

Not sure of the need at ILB to be honest, we had two guys injured at the position, but we could easily find depth through FA or Day 3 of the draft. I'd go OL there as well unless Taylor Rapp has fallen down the boards. Love the Austin Bryant pick; he's flying under the radar because Wilkins and Ferrell get all the attention. 

Other than that, I really like this draft.

We're watching the playoffs from home again with this offseason IMO.  

I  don't understand ignoring easily our defense's worst position group in the draft while spending the majority of or premier picks on our team's strongest position.  We'd get little to no immediate improvement from this draft IMO.  

I  don't get ignoring this offense again in the draft yet again this year.  Refusing to infuse quality, high end young talent into this offense is the biggest reason we've missed the playoffs for.   the second consecutive season.  We had 10 halves of football last year (almost 1/3 of the season) where our offense failed to score 7 points.  That's an offense playing as bad as any in the league.  I don't think adding a coach and only a coach is going to fix that.  We're setting our new coach up for failure by giving him exactly the same offense Mike McCarthy couldn't get it done with.

I don't mind Barr. He'd be a good fit

Cobb I'm done with. He's still not bad, but he can't stay on the field.

The draft...3DL in the top 4 picks... You can argue we don't need any that high (5 deep with Daniels, Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams). We run 2/3 man fronts and have historically rostered 6. We need pass rushing linebackers.

42 minutes ago, SSG said:

We're watching the playoffs from home again with this offseason IMO.  

I  don't understand ignoring easily our defense's worst position group in the draft while spending the majority of or premier picks on our team's strongest position.  We'd get little to no immediate improvement from this draft IMO.  

I  don't get ignoring this offense again in the draft yet again this year.  Refusing to infuse quality, high end young talent into this offense is the biggest reason we've missed the playoffs for.   the second consecutive season.  We had 10 halves of football last year (almost 1/3 of the season) where our offense failed to score 7 points.  That's an offense playing as bad as any in the league.  I don't think adding a coach and only a coach is going to fix that.  We're setting our new coach up for failure by giving him exactly the same offense Mike McCarthy couldn't get it done with.

I would agree that it's probably overkill, but if Pettine's defense revolves around the DL I'd rather invest more in the DL than the EDGE.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I would agree that it's probably overkill, but if Pettine's defense revolves around the DL I'd rather invest more in the DL than the EDGE.

I keep hearing that and it's a good thing that DL is BY FAR our best position group.  Wasting 3/4 of this year's draft on the same position group would be crazy given the holes.  Highly doubtful that 2 of the 3 see even 25% of the defensive snaps much less make an impact next year.  They'd be picks for the future, essentially throwing in the towel for next year.  

Quality interior guys are substantially easier to find than quality edge rushers.  We'll never have a championship caliber defense if our edge rush sucks.  Last year a mediocre edge guy was BY FAR our best and most consistent pass rusher which doesn't support the idea that DL is that much more important than edge (Ie spending 3 of our first 4 picks on DT while completely ignoring OLB again).

Crazy.  The 4 teams playing this weekend are the the top 4 offenses in the NFL.  We'll NEVER have that caliber of offense again if we keep refusing to infuse it with quality young talent.  Might as well start looking for a new coach if we're going to realistically expect him to make an elite NFL offense with less talent than Mike McCarthy couldn't make work.  

1 hour ago, SSG said:

I keep hearing that and it's a good thing that DL is BY FAR our best position group.  Wasting 3/4 of this year's draft on the same position group would be crazy given the holes.  Highly doubtful that 2 of the 3 see even 25% of the defensive snaps much less make an impact next year.  They'd be picks for the future, essentially throwing in the towel for next year.  

Quality interior guys are substantially easier to find than quality edge rushers.  We'll never have a championship caliber defense if our edge rush sucks.  Last year a mediocre edge guy was BY FAR our best and most consistent pass rusher which doesn't support the idea that DL is that much more important than edge (Ie spending 3 of our first 4 picks on DT while completely ignoring OLB again).

Crazy.  The 4 teams playing this weekend are the the top 4 offenses in the NFL.  We'll NEVER have that caliber of offense again if we keep refusing to infuse it with quality young talent.  Might as well start looking for a new coach if we're going to realistically expect him to make an elite NFL offense with less talent than Mike McCarthy couldn't make work.  

You are right, your points are valid.  Here's the problem IMO, the Packers have missed on the drafts for at least the past 3 or 4 with TT, now we have to play catch up.  We shouldn't be drafting for this years needs in reality.  We should be drafting for the needs of the team in 2020, however, since that hasn't been done, now they must pick for now.  The chances for drafting someone that can come in and be a stud from day one is slim, possible, yes, but slim.  So, the reality is you are drafting for 2020.  DL and OL could be bigger needs in the long run then Edge, IMO.

Archived