Rolni's mock offseason vol.1

Rolni

Hi!

I try to be realistic here, feel free to give feedback!

Cut: 

Kelechi Osemel OG  DM: 0, cap saving: 10,2M 
KO played poorly this past 2 seasons and he has an elite OG contract. We could try to restructure, but I can’t really see that, he is a RM soldier, so I would expect Gruden and MM to move on. I would expect Gabe to be back at LG and we go after a veteran RG (maybe from within). 

Seth Roberts WR  DM: 0, cap saving: 4,65M 
He is just a depth guy and his price tag is too high for his role. 

Andrew DePaloa LS  DM: 0, cap saving: 905K 
We have a cheaper, much younger, pretty reliable LS in Sieg. 

Donald Penn has got already almost 3M guaranteed for ‘19 because of his last contract restructure, so I would expect him to stay at least till TC to show what he got. I just see it that way, so went with it in this mock. With Cable staying in place I think Gruden will keep the OL group more or less the same and bet on the young OT’s development and Gabe’s health along Cable’s ability 

Re-sign: 

Jared Cook TE 
He is Carr’s best weapon this year and while he have some drop issues  we could definately use him. I would bring him back if he is on board with Carr, Gruden and the system. He could ask for a top end TE contract on a short, medium deal with his age IMO. I would be willing to give him a 3 year deal for 24M with guaranteed 12M. Guaranteed 8M in year one, 4M guaranteed from the 8M in year 2 and no guarantees for the 3rd year (8M). 

Johnathan Hankins DT 
He is a solid run stopper, who should look for a deal similar to our own Jelly. I would bump it up a little because of the cap increase and ink him for 3 years and 15M with guarantees in the first and second seasons like in Cook’s case. He and Jelly would give us a strong interior and rotation against the run. 

Denzell Good OL 
I think he did an alright job at RG down the strech and he can play some RT too. I would like to keep him as inhouse candidate for the RG job and solid depth at worst. 3year 9M-12M. 

Doug Martin RB 
Bring him back for 1 more year. 

Sign to a tender: 

Jalen Richard RB to a 2nd round RFA tender 
Richard is a great weapon in this scheme. I would even consider to sign him to an extension, the RFA tender is the minimum IMO. 

Daryl Worley CB to a 2nd round RFA tender 
He is a solid CB and should worth that contract. I would try to upgrade the #2 spot after this tender and keep him as depth, since we can easily afford it. 

Erik Harris S/ST to an original round tender 
He is a good ST player and has some S ability too, so this is a no brainer IMO. 

I would bring back the following ERFA guys at least till TC: Shilique Calhoun, Trent Sieg, Jason Cabinda, Daniel Carlson, Marcell Ateman, Meander, Hunt 

FA market: 

Tyrell Williams WR 
He is a big bodied reciever with good production. Carr seems to be comfortable with the bigger, phisical recievers, so I would bring him one here. I think there will be multiple offers for him, so I think we might need to give him a 3year 21M deal with 1st and 2nd year guarantees around 10-12M. 

Brandon Graham DE 
He is a really good veteran 4-3 DE with great Championship experience. He is smaller a bit then the ideal Guenther DE’s, but he showed over the years that he can play against the run as well as some of the bigger guys. He should be a great addition to our DL. I would expect his numbers be around 3year 45M, 25M guaranteed (signing bonus+first year salary+roster bonus for ‘20) 

Jordan Hicks LB 
The Eagles might not have the space to bring him back and we could have the chance to land an impact LB via FA. He could fit in at MLB next to Tahir and Lee well IMO. Cabinda and Morrow would be quality depth behind them. 4year 36M, 18M guaranteed. 

Darqueze Dennard CB 
He was a better player under PG, so I would guess the interest would be there for both sides. He could come in and compete with Worley for the #2 spot. I would offer him a 7M/year deal with year to year pay as you go structure. 

Tre Boston S 
He is a really good cover S, who could be a nice pair for Karl Joseph, who soldified his spot on this D recently IMO. He is a quality journey man, who should be happy to find a home for a few years. Harris could come back as his back up and as a 3rd S IMO. 3years 8M for Tre. 

Draft: 

1\4: Josh Allen DE 
Allen could be a great weapon for us even as a rookie. He has the size and the power to be effective against the run too and he has the speed and the technique to be a quality pass ruhser down the road. I would be pretty comfortable with the Graham-Allen duo with Key and Calhoun as depth. 

1\24: Nasir Adderley S 
Nasir is a small school kid, but has great athleticism and strong tape. His size (5’11 200) is not that great, so we can grab him here at 24. He can form a really solid last line rotation with Boston and Joseph IMO. Gruden and PG will have a great chance to get to know him, since they coach him in the Senior Bowl. 

1\27: Kelvin Harmon WR 
A big bodied WR with good body controll, hands and physicality. He would be a really solid addition to our WR corp. 

2\35: Devin Bush LB 
Bush slides because of his height, lenght to our 2nd rounder. He would be a sure first rounder if he got size. He has great speed and ability as a LB. His size limits him, but I think he could be a really good WLB for us down the road. He could challenge Tahir and Lee even as a rookie. I would expect him to grab the WLB spot right away and force Tahir over to SLB IMO, Lee can work in rotation with Tahir and could focus on ST. 

3rd: Andy Isabella WR 
He could be a great slot guy for us with his speed, hands and YAC ability. Gruden got Switzer with a plan last year I guess, so Andy should have a role in his offense. With Williams, Harmon and Isabella our WR unit suddenly could be a good one. 

4th: Michael Deiter OG 
Gruden and Cable will get a chance to work with this kid at the Senior Bowl. Ex-LT, who looks comfortable as an OG. He could be a really nice depth and if everything goes well he could compete for a starting gig by 2020. 

5th: RB to give Martin a run for the job 

6th: DL\LB\DB\ST 

7th: DL\LB\DB\ST 

Depth chart (not 53 man) 

QB: Carr, McCarron 

RB: Martin, Richard, rookie 

FB: Smith\Yurachek 

WR: Williams, Nelson, Harmon, Isabella, Ateman, Harris 

TE: Cook, Lee, Carrier\Waller 

OT: Miller, Parker, Penn, Sharpe 

OG: Jackson, Good, Deiter 

OC: Hudson, Hunt 

DE: Graham, Allen, Key, Calhoun, rookie 

DT: Hurst, Hall, Hankins, Ellis, Vanderdoes\rookie 

LB: Hicks, Whitehead, Bush, Lee, Cabinda, Morrow, rookie 

CB: Conley, Dennard, Worley, Nelson, Gafford\Meander , rookie 

S: Boston, Joseph, Adderley, Harris, rookie 

P: Kaser 

K: Carlson 

LS: Sieg 

Returner: Harris

Base 4-3:

Graham-Hankins\Jelly-Hurst\Hall-Allen\Key

Whitehead-Hicks-Bush

Conley-Joseph\Adderley-Boston-Dennard

Nickel:

Graham-Hurst-Hall-Allen\Key

Hicks-Bush

Conley-Dennard-Adderley-Boston-Worley

30 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I agree with cutting or trying to trade KO. Move Jackson to RG and Good is a solid LG. He was cut in Indy because of spat with the Oline coach (who is now fired) read about it, guy sounds like a real a-hole. Good can play. 

If the draft fell that way, I would do backflips. Isabella (he'll be a round 2 guy imo) and Harmon would be a nice combo. Adderlly is one of my favorite prospects. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I agree with cutting or trying to trade KO. Move Jackson to RG and Good is a solid LG. He was cut in Indy because of spat with the Oline coach (who is now fired) read about it, guy sounds like a real a-hole. Good can play. 

If the draft fell that way, I would do backflips. Isabella (he'll be a round 2 guy imo) and Harmon would be a nice combo. Adderlly is one of my favorite prospects. 

You mean move Jackson to LG and Good is a solid RG, right? I see that too

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

Hi!

Draft: 

A big bodied WR with good body controll, hands and physicality. He would be a really solid addition to our WR corp. 

If drafting a big bodied receiver with this pick, I'd go with TE Noah Fant from Iowa if he's available. He's a big receiver that can be spilt out as a WR or at the line of scrimmage as a TE. I'd like the versatility of the pick for Carr.

5 hours ago, Rolni said:

Hi!

Cut: 

KO played poorly this past 2 seasons and he has an elite OG contract. We could try to restructure, but I can’t really see that, he is a RM soldier, so I would expect Gruden and MM to move on. I would expect Gabe to be back at LG and we go after a veteran RG (maybe from within). 

Seth Roberts WR  DM: 0, cap saving: 4,65M 
He is just a depth guy and his price tag is too high for his role. 

Andrew DePaloa LS  DM: 0, cap saving: 905K 
We have a cheaper, much younger, pretty reliable LS in Sieg. 

Donald Penn has got already almost 3M guaranteed for ‘19 because of his last contract restructure, so I would expect him to stay at least till TC to show what he got. I just see it that way, so went with it in this mock. With Cable staying in place I think Gruden will keep the OL group more or less the same and bet on the young OT’s development and Gabe’s health along Cable’s ability 

Re-sign: 

Jared Cook TE 
He is Carr’s best weapon this year and while he have some drop issues  we could definately use him. I would bring him back if he is on board with Carr, Gruden and the system. He could ask for a top end TE contract on a short, medium deal with his age IMO. I would be willing to give him a 3 year deal for 24M with guaranteed 12M. Guaranteed 8M in year one, 4M guaranteed from the 8M in year 2 and no guarantees for the 3rd year (8M). 

Johnathan Hankins DT 
He is a solid run stopper, who should look for a deal similar to our own Jelly. I would bump it up a little because of the cap increase and ink him for 3 years and 15M with guarantees in the first and second seasons like in Cook’s case. He and Jelly would give us a strong interior and rotation against the run. 

Denzell Good OL 
I think he did an alright job at RG down the strech and he can play some RT too. I would like to keep him as inhouse candidate for the RG job and solid depth at worst. 3year 9M-12M. 

Doug Martin RB 
Bring him back for 1 more year. 

Sign to a tender: 

Jalen Richard RB to a 2nd round RFA tender 
Richard is a great weapon in this scheme. I would even consider to sign him to an extension, the RFA tender is the minimum IMO. 

Daryl Worley CB to a 2nd round RFA tender 
He is a solid CB and should worth that contract. I would try to upgrade the #2 spot after this tender and keep him as depth, since we can easily afford it. 

Erik Harris S/ST to an original round tender 
He is a good ST player and has some S ability too, so this is a no brainer IMO. 

I would bring back the following ERFA guys at least till TC: Shilique Calhoun, Trent Sieg, Jason Cabinda, Daniel Carlson, Marcell Ateman, Meander, Hunt 

FA market: 

Tyrell Williams WR 
He is a big bodied reciever with good production. Carr seems to be comfortable with the bigger, phisical recievers, so I would bring him one here. I think there will be multiple offers for him, so I think we might need to give him a 3year 21M deal with 1st and 2nd year guarantees around 10-12M. 

Brandon Graham DE 
He is a really good veteran 4-3 DE with great Championship experience. He is smaller a bit then the ideal Guenther DE’s, but he showed over the years that he can play against the run as well as some of the bigger guys. He should be a great addition to our DL. I would expect his numbers be around 3year 45M, 25M guaranteed (signing bonus+first year salary+roster bonus for ‘20) 

Jordan Hicks LB 
The Eagles might not have the space to bring him back and we could have the chance to land an impact LB via FA. He could fit in at MLB next to Tahir and Lee well IMO. Cabinda and Morrow would be quality depth behind them. 4year 36M, 18M guaranteed. 

Darqueze Dennard CB 
He was a better player under PG, so I would guess the interest would be there for both sides. He could come in and compete with Worley for the #2 spot. I would offer him a 7M/year deal with year to year pay as you go structure. 

Tre Boston S 
He is a really good cover S, who could be a nice pair for Karl Joseph, who soldified his spot on this D recently IMO. He is a quality journey man, who should be happy to find a home for a few years. Harris could come back as his back up and as a 3rd S IMO. 3years 8M for Tre. 

Draft: 

1\4: Josh Allen DE 
Allen could be a great weapon for us even as a rookie. He has the size and the power to be effective against the run too and he has the speed and the technique to be a quality pass ruhser down the road. I would be pretty comfortable with the Graham-Allen duo with Key and Calhoun as depth. 

1\24: Nasir Adderley S 
Nasir is a small school kid, but has great athleticism and strong tape. His size (5’11 200) is not that great, so we can grab him here at 24. He can form a really solid last line rotation with Boston and Joseph IMO. Gruden and PG will have a great chance to get to know him, since they coach him in the Senior Bowl. 

2\35: Devin Bush LB 
Bush slides because of his height, lenght to our 2nd rounder. He would be a sure first rounder if he got size. He has great speed and ability as a LB. His size limits him, but I think he could be a really good WLB for us down the road. He could challenge Tahir and Lee even as a rookie. I would expect him to grab the WLB spot right away and force Tahir over to SLB IMO, Lee can work in rotation with Tahir and could focus on ST. 

3rd: Andy Isabella WR 
He could be a great slot guy for us with his speed, hands and YAC ability. Gruden got Switzer with a plan last year I guess, so Andy should have a role in his offense. With Williams, Harmon and Isabella our WR unit suddenly could be a good one. 

4th: Michael Deiter OG 
Gruden and Cable will get a chance to work with this kid at the Senior Bowl. Ex-LT, who looks comfortable as an OG. He could be a really nice depth and if everything goes well he could compete for a starting gig by 2020. 

5th: RB to give Martin a run for the job 

Depth chart (not 53 man) 

QB: Carr, McCarron 

RB: Martin, Richard, rookie 

FB: Smith\Yurachek 

WR: Williams, Nelson, Harmon, Isabella, Ateman, Harris 

TE: Cook, Lee, Carrier\Waller 

OT: Miller, Parker, Penn, Sharpe 

OG: Jackson, Good, Deiter 

OC: Hudson, Hunt 

DE: Graham, Allen, Key, Calhoun, rookie 

DT: Hurst, Hall, Hankins, Ellis, Vanderdoes\rookie 

LB: Hicks, Whitehead, Bush, Lee, Cabinda, Morrow, rookie 

CB: Conley, Dennard, Worley, Nelson, Gafford\Meander , rookie 

S: Boston, Joseph, Adderley, Harris, rookie 

P: Kaser 

K: Carlson 

LS: Sieg 

Returner: Harris

Base 4-3:

Graham-Hankins\Jelly-Hurst\Hall-Allen\Key

Whitehead-Hicks-Bush

Conley-Joseph\Adderley-Boston-Dennard

Nickel:

Graham-Hurst-Hall-Allen\Key

Hicks-Bush

Conley-Dennard-Adderley-Boston-Worley

Definitely a realistic take.  I appreciate that. 

I would prefer a younger FA DE instead of Graham, but we aren't in any position to expect much better. I also think I'd prefer to draft a RB in there somewhere.

Other than that it comes down to personal preference on the draft picks, because you hit most of our big needs.

5 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

If drafting a big bodied receiver with this pick, I'd go with TE Noah Fant from Iowa if he's available. He's a big receiver that can be spilt out as a WR or at the line of scrimmage as a TE. I'd like the versatility of the pick for Carr.

I could be happy with Fant there too. Just went with the WR after the Cook resign, since WR is a much bigger need and these guys seems to be in similar range.

2 hours ago, true2form said:

Definitely a realistic take.  I appreciate that. 

I would prefer a younger FA DE instead of Graham, but we aren't in any position to expect much better. I also think I'd prefer to draft a RB in there somewhere.

Other than that it comes down to personal preference on the draft picks, because you hit most of our big needs.

Yeah I think the younger DE's won't hit the market. Ansah could be another option, but injury risk is high with him.

I went with RB in the 5th, couldn't really put it there earlier. If our OL plays better Martin, Richard and a late rounder should be enough, if our OL sucks even a 1st rounder would struggle. I could see a RB in the 3rd or 4th if the value is right.

4 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’d trade harmon for Hakeem but I like it

I just went with Harmon based on big boards I found. Most of them have him earlier. I won't pretend to have the time or the knowledge to study these prospects.

Why would you pick him earlier?

5 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I just went with Harmon based on big boards I found. Most of them have him earlier. I won't pretend to have the time or the knowledge to study these prospects.

Why would you pick him earlier?

I like his tape and he looked unstoppable in his bowl game. After he runs sub 4.5 at the combine his stock will rise. 

What the deal with Harmon I was never impressed with him in the games I watched 

I think this is a little under what we could do.  We will still have over $20 million in cap space and although I like Graham I would not make him my marquee signing.  We could front load the contracts a little but that never happens when you think it is the smart move.  I thought Gruden and Allen use to max out the cap and even RM would only have $5-8 million.  It is a big ? what we will do with MM and Gruden.  I am not 100% certain where we are with the cap floor but I think with how RM has structured everything we are safely above it.  Since we did not give out big signing bonuses and choose to use roster bonuses we do not have any big payouts during the previous cap period, 2013-2016, that effect our cap now.  Even Carr's singing bonus counts as a cash payout for the current cap period.

There are other teams with even bigger cap spaces out there and I doubt we are among the most wanted bunch with this roller coaster year. 

Who do you think will enter the FA market as a big name? Who do you think will choose us?

13 minutes ago, Rolni said:

There are other teams with even bigger cap spaces out there and I doubt we are among the most wanted bunch with this roller coaster year. 

Who do you think will enter the FA market as a big name? Who do you think will choose us?

If it is DE I would go for Fowler, Flowers, or Preston Smith.  If we are cutting a big contract on O-line depending on my feelings about Miller I would go after Brown, James, or Williams.  I really like the Hicks signing but if I am going after a player 30+ years old I have wanted KJ Wright on this team since he came out.  That would be a lot of money at the LB spot for those two along with Whitehead.  A lot is going to come down to who resigns or is tagged but there is a lot of Defensive talent ready to hit the market.  I do not know how well MM and Gruden will be at selling their vision but hopefully the issue of where we play next year will be settled by then.  I think we will still have to over pay a little but not as much with taxes in Nevada being an incentive.

We are currently 5th in salary cap and have the most pull in the draft.  We are in a prime position to sign some big contracts especially when you take into consideration the players we can cut with no cap hit and aging players whose contracts are up after next year.  This might be the year we are all surprised with who we sign.  I just question Gruden's talent evaluation.  He always thinks he can squeeze a few more years out of ageing players whose play has started to decline.  With MM there I have no clue what is going to happen though.  Should be a fun and possibly painful roller-coaster ride.

Found this mock for you true&ncou :)

drfrey you don't fear that Gruden and MM won't be able to recruit the top guys with the mess Gruden made last year (Bryant, Mack, Cooper, Cable hire, bad record, DRC retire, DJ retire...)?

Archived