Bears to pick up Leonard Floyd's 5th year option

malagabears

Good call.  Gives them some time to see if they can perhaps hammer out a team friendly extension.  Also protects the team if Floyd were to go out and have a dominant season in 2019. 

I don't see any other better options available.  Good pass rushers are hard to find in the draft and don't hit FA often and when they do they cost a fortune.

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Good call.  Gives them some time to see if they can perhaps hammer out a team friendly extension.  Also protects the team if Floyd were to go out and have a dominant season in 2019. 

I don't see any other better options available.  Good pass rushers are hard to find in the draft and don't hit FA often and when they do they cost a fortune.

Yep, we have limited resources in draft capital as well, so opening one more hole at a very important position is propbably one of the worst moves available. 

Get him signed, work on making a team friendly deal with more guaranteed so he gets more money up front and security in case of catastrophic injury, everyone can be content. 

I think retaining Floyd is the right call...as Topwop1 says it is difficult to find quality pass rushers...I feel Fangio's scheme relied on pretty straight forward concepts when it came to rushing the passer which was just beat your man...Pagano will use more stunts and twists in his blitz package and that is perfect for the closing speed and agility that Floyd has...I feel he will get far more sacks and pressures this year.

This is an exciting development; I don't think many of us would have been thrilled at the prospect of picking up Floyd's option after last season. While he's never going to be a huge sack guy coming straight off the edge, he has developed into a very nice player (especially opposite Mac), which is exactly what a 1st round pick should do.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Financially it needs to be a placeholder for an extension sometime this offseason. 

Get hims signed long term for 9-10 million/season and spread the cap hit out using this season.

I agree and it needs to be a fair extension amount to avoid putting too much money in 1 position group.

On 17/1/2019 at 4:04 PM, WindyCity said:

Financially it needs to be a placeholder for an extension sometime this offseason. 

Get hims signed long term for 9-10 million/season and spread the cap hit out using this season.

Windy like you say maybe a 5 year 50M with 30M guaranteed? You give him a 12.5M signing bonus so he has up to that much in new money plus lower yearly salaries for 2019/20?

Archived