One players at each position you want on the Browns next year? (FA or drafted)

buno67

Ok I am stealing this idea from @Horseunit but adding a slight spin on it 

I think this could be a great thread. Allows us to get a feel for FAs and prospects and the position they play. 

So who is one FA or potential rookie you want added to each unit  please let us know what college or pro team they are with

Here is a blank template so you can just copy and paste  

Quarterback: 

Runningback: 

Fullback: 

Tightend: 

Wide Receiver: 

Offensive Tackle: 

Offensive Guard: 

Center: 

Defensive Tackle: 

Defensive End: 

Linebacker: 

Cornerback: 

Safety:

Even though I currently have no real time consuming responsibilities until at least mid February I have no intention of watching QBs, OGs, OCs or anything highly rated RBs or SAs. I plan on only watching the guys who as supposedly "must see". Why waste my time with those positions when we won't be drafting them?

I have also watched essentially every FB I could find and I would say not a single one is draftable. Far and away the best player was Tory Carter of LSU and he was only a sophomore. 

Gonna break my answers up as I haven’t even gotten into a lot of these positions, and the ones I have it’s minimally.

37 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Quarterback: Trevor Seimian; would be a great backup option should Baker miss a little time.

Running back: Dunno who, but a day 3 pick.  Nothing else.

Fullback: Orson Charles.  Only Orson Charles.

Center: No one, I think we’re currently set here.

Defensive End: Brian Burns.  I realize he’s skinny, but he’s also 20 and has the burst we need opposite Myles.  Could see him being similar to Jonathan Abraham or Danielle Hunter. He’d also have a full season to put on a few pounds before he’d need to be a full time base end (provided Ogbah stays healthy).

Quarterback: Brett Rypien (5th round) or Eric Dungey (UDFA) - I'm looking for either someone I can groom and spin off (Rypien) or a great mental guy who I can use for athletic gadgets plays once in awhile (Dungey)

Runningback: Leveon Bell, I mean, you can never spend too much on RB, right?... Serious Answer: Some UDFA with good athletic #s who is underhyped. I'll pick one at the combine.

Fullback: None.

Tightend: Kaden Smith or Kendall Blanton. Take advantage of the deep TE class to grab somebody late who can block alright and has receiving upside.

Wide Receiver: Anthony Johnson or Emmanuel Butler - We go for our big bodied WR piece in the 3rd-4th.

Offensive Tackle: Cody Ford or Yodney Cajuste - I think this is one of the two most likely places for our first round pick. Since I have us going ham at DT in FA, this is where we go in my scenario.

Offensive Guard: None. We good.

Center: None. We good.

Defensive Tackle: Gerald McCoy or Grady Jarrett - You have the money! Use the money!

Defensive End: Preston Smith, Shaq Barrett, or Brandon Graham in FA if mid-level money. Lawrence if top level money available.

Linebacker: I'm one who think that with a bounce back year from Kirksey we'd basically be set. We only have 2 LBs on the field most of the time these days. Avery is the 3rd if we go big. So I'll say unless Devin White drops to us that we take a depth guy in the 3rd-4th like T.J. Edwards.

Cornerback: Julian Love - Byron Murphy is a popular pick in mocks right now, but I say we go OT/DT in the 1st and grab Love in the second.

Safety: Pay Damarious Randall!!! Oh, and maybe get a 3rd safety to help with the modern hybrid dime. So, Honey Badger? I'd say Nassir Adderly but there aren't enough high picks! I need moooooore piiiiiicks.

42 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Quarterback: Brett Rypien (5th round)

I like Rypien too if we’re drafting someone.  I still think we may need a capable vet though.

Defensive Tackle: Gerald McCoy or Grady Jarrett - You have the money! Use the money!

You think those guys hit the market? Either would be a huge get.

Linebacker: I'm one who think that with a bounce back year from Kirksey we'd basically be set. We only have 2 LBs on the field most of the time these days. Avery is the 3rd if we go big. So I'll say unless Devin White drops to us that we take a depth guy in the 3rd-4th like T.J. Edwards.

I think we could use some speed in general.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Collins is cut and the other bro is a JAG.  I wouldn’t mind some guys who get cover some ground, especially if their roles will be similar to how guys like Beason and Davis have been used.

Safety: Pay Damarious Randall!!!

This shouldn’t even be a question, he played really well last season.

Good list!

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I like Rypien too if we’re drafting someone.  I still think we may need a capable vet though.

Definitely possible. I think they basically accept that if Mayfield goes down we are screwed and try to concentrate as little cap as possible in the position in order to blow up everywhere else.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You think those guys hit the market? Either would be a huge get.

I have no idea. I think at least one of them does. It seems like McCoy is forcing his way out the door in TB and ATL's cap situation is such that franchising Jarrett would severly hamper their plans elsewhere (especially at DE).

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think we could use some speed in general.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Collins is cut and the other bro is a JAG.  I wouldn’t mind some guys who get cover some ground, especially if their roles will be similar to how guys like Beason and Davis have been used.

Strong possibility. To be honest, I just don't know who those guys are in this draft outside of White. I think it's possible that we go to a base defense that includes a S/LB hybrid. Sooo CBx2, SS, FS, SS/LB/Slot defender, MLB, WLB, DEx2, DTx2, and then even taking one more LB off the field for a slot CB on pass downs. I think looking at the hires at HC this year, the league is only going to get MORE pass happy and defenses will have to adjust to that.

11 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Definitely possible. I think they basically accept that if Mayfield goes down we are screwed and try to concentrate as little cap as possible in the position in order to blow up everywhere else.

I could see that.  

I would imagine that would be the case next year at the latest, but figured they may pay a bit more for a more experienced QB room.  

Either way works tho.

I have no idea. I think at least one of them does. It seems like McCoy is forcing his way out the door in TB and ATL's cap situation is such that franchising Jarrett would severly hamper their plans elsewhere (especially at DE).

Sign me up.

Strong possibility. To be honest, I just don't know who those guys are in this draft outside of White. I think it's possible that we go to a base defense that includes a S/LB hybrid. Sooo CBx2, SS, FS, SS/LB/Slot defender, MLB, WLB, DEx2, DTx2, and then even taking one more LB off the field for a slot CB on pass downs. I think looking at the hires at HC this year, the league is only going to get MORE pass happy and defenses will have to adjust to that.

Yeah you wonder he much we’ll see of 3 Lb’s.  I feel like we saw a lot under Greggggg, but maybe I’m off.  

Some speed could also be helpful on coverage teams as well.

2 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I think it's possible that we go to a base defense that includes a S/LB hybrid. Sooo CBx2, SS, FS, SS/LB/Slot defender, MLB, WLB, DEx2, DTx2, and then even taking one more LB off the field for a slot CB on pass downs.

Like any SS/LBs in the draft? Chase Hansen? 

Several people have brought up the idea that Dorsey is known to use FA and trades to fill any holes or needs.  Then, the draft to build the roster.  Many have the opinion to cut Collins and use money for speed linebacker.

In FA, the PD has a list of 4 possible targets.  From this list, I like Jarrett and Ford.  Also, Roby might fit our needs at CB.

For trades, I imagine Collins and several others have been identified to use with draft picks for key needs like DT, WR, CB, and LB.

Dorsey has proved to be a very good talent evaluator and I am sure he has a tentative board and program.  On O for my money, we need OT and WR starting quality with RB flyer like Dorsey did with Hunt.  On D, we need DT, LB (maybe), and CB starting quality.

For OT, I like Prince OSU in late 3rd rd and flyer WR in 3rd.

For DT, I like Simmons or best DT with 1st pick, and Penn St CB with 2nd pick

These first four picks should be starter quality.  With 2-3 starter FA's and trades, Browns roster will be best ever with major upgrades at WR, OT, DT, LB, and CB

5 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Quarterback: Brett Rypien (5th round) or Eric Dungey (UDFA) - I'm looking for either someone I can groom and spin off (Rypien) or a great mental guy who I can use for athletic gadgets plays once in awhile (Dungey)

Runningback: Leveon Bell, I mean, you can never spend too much on RB, right?... Serious Answer: Some UDFA with good athletic #s who is underhyped. I'll pick one at the combine.

Fullback: None.

Tightend: Kaden Smith or Kendall Blanton. Take advantage of the deep TE class to grab somebody late who can block alright and has receiving upside.

Wide Receiver: Anthony Johnson or Emmanuel Butler - We go for our big bodied WR piece in the 3rd-4th.

Offensive Tackle: Cody Ford or Yodney Cajuste - I think this is one of the two most likely places for our first round pick. Since I have us going ham at DT in FA, this is where we go in my scenario.

Offensive Guard: None. We good.

Center: None. We good.

Defensive End: Preston Smith, Shaq Barrett, or Brandon Graham in FA if mid-level money. Lawrence if top level money available.

Cornerback: Julian Love - Byron Murphy is a popular pick in mocks right now, but I say we go OT/DT in the 1st and grab Love in the second.

Safety: Pay Damarious Randall!!! Oh, and maybe get a 3rd safety to help with the modern hybrid dime. So, Honey Badger? I'd say Nassir Adderly but there aren't enough high picks! I need moooooore piiiiiicks.

I took one thing from this post. Freaky wants Sachi Brown back as GM so we can have MORE picks. Must have MORE picks!!!!

DT: in FA either Malcolm Brown or Grady Jarrett would be awesome. In the draft Oliver (even if we have to trade up, hes that good), Simmons, or Jones 

OT: David Edwards OT Wisconsin or Isaiah Prince OT OSU

WR: Paris Cambell 

LB: Devin White LB LSU if White is there at 17 you take him and don't look back unless Oliver or Bosa is there he is #3 on my draft board. I would also like to take a late round flier in Donte Booker LB OSU 

CB: Kendal Sheffield CB OSU has crazy talent but is still pretty raw. He was a 5 star recruit but never lived up to the hype. I think we could grab him with a 4th round pick. 

I'm an obvious OSU homer but the Buckeyes have been killing it the last few drafts so I think Dorsey should take a long look at my Buckeyes cause they produce NFL players like it's going out of style. 

QB - As freaky said if Baker goes down we go down, at least at the moment. I'd try cloning Baker, see if that works out. We don't even have to tell him, just have him go on Jimmy Fallon and play a "what are you licking" game and grab some DNA.

RB - nothing, at most camp bodies to try to find a gem. Bring in Corey Grant he has good speed could help on special teams and a Duke insurance policy.

WR - A team player who could be a true #1. Probably not happening. I'd be okay with bringing in Tavon Austin in as a general weapon to play with.

TE - Lots of free agent TEs if someone can beat out Fells or DeValve bring them in, Logan Thomas maybe if we get rid of Charles

I'm bored already.

Get a DT like others have said.

I don't think our team speed on defense is a problem, If we tackled well we wouldn't need the 4th defender to get there to attempt to make the tackle. Either tackle better or get players who tackle better.

10 hours ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

DT: in FA either Malcolm Brown or Grady Jarrett would be awesome. In the draft Oliver (even if we have to trade up, hes that good), Simmons, or Jones 

OT: David Edwards OT Wisconsin or Isaiah Prince OT OSU

WR: Paris Cambell 

LB: Devin White LB LSU if White is there at 17 you take him and don't look back unless Oliver or Bosa is there he is #3 on my draft board. I would also like to take a late round flier in Donte Booker LB OSU 

CB: Kendal Sheffield CB OSU has crazy talent but is still pretty raw. He was a 5 star recruit but never lived up to the hype. I think we could grab him with a 4th round pick. 

I'm an obvious OSU homer but the Buckeyes have been killing it the last few drafts so I think Dorsey should take a long look at my Buckeyes cause they produce NFL players like it's going out of style. 

The players that have killed it were also known good NFL prospects.

Isaiah Prince will definitely raise our penalty numbers and has cement legs in pass pro. He’s ranked higher now than he will by people by draft day. If Jamarco Jones went in the 5th last year, I think people will be surprised how far Prince slides this year. 

Kendall Sheffield has great athleticism but is better at track than he is in coverage. 

I actually like Campbell, but he’s going to go higher than we need to invest in a guy with some of his current limitations. He would have been a good x-factor type pickup in rounds 3-4 but not a higher investment for us and what we need. 

Dante Booker was a backup as a RS senior for a reason. On a LB unit that was bad last year. He was previously awful, despite good athletic abilities. If you think he’s anything but undrafted, I’m not really sure where to begin the conversation there. 

I am glad you at least admit you are biased. 

Archived