How do we feel about Jim Schwartz?

Phire

The Jim Schwartz Referendum  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Your feelings on Schwartz...

• One of the best DCs; Eagles are lucky to have him.
    • One of the better DCs; but someone else might do better.
    • An average DC; we can easily do better.
    • A bad DC; needs to be fired.
    • The worst DC ever; he's the reason we aren't going back to back.

I put one of the better DCs.

He definitely gets too much hate, especially on here.

Also, when you look at the 19th and 20th in 3rd down defense for 2016 and 2018 respectively keep in mind the corners we had out there.

Shouldn't have to tell you what we were working with this year cause of injuries, but in 2016 we had Nolan Carroll and Leodis McKelvin with some Ron Brooks in case you forgot.

Is there some things we would like to see Schwartz do more? Sure. But, I'm happy with him for the most part. It's much better than what we had in the recent past.

Average at best DC, more often than not pretty bad. He relies entirely on his D-line doing 70 percent of the work and can't physically adjust any scheme. Could we be fine with it? Yeah if most of our D-line wasn't old or leaving. I think we need a fresh face at DC.

He’s a good DC, there’s proof in that. I don’t love his scheme or thinking all the time. That sticks defense screwed us so much and he never relents on it. Refuses to play press man even when it seems as if it’s neccessary. Rarely blitzes. I wouldn’t say he’s exactly ideal, IMO but he’s been good. We’ve had some terrible luck with injuries, especially in the secondary, and he’s been able to hold the team together with guys off the street. Hasn’t always been pretty but if you gave him the players he needed, they’d be a top 5 defense year in and out. I don’t think you can ask much more than that. 

Most of us were concerned he was going to be plucked for a HC job not very long ago. 

Solid DC and way better than people want to give him credit for

hes kept the ship pretty steady despite an incredible amount of losses the last two years.

i think he talked a big game when he was out of the league, learning and being more open. But it hasn’t all shown up here. He needs to get better at adapting. But he brings a great attitude/personality to the team it’s lacked since Jim had to leave.

he needs to figure out 3rd down better 

Excited to see what he does with what should be an influx of young talent this year.

I think we need to give him another opportunity to redeem himself this year... The defense was just killed by injuries, so he can't take all the blame for this season. He did better towards the end, so hopefully he'll do better next year.

We just can't have games like the Carolina, Tennessee, Saints, etc. this year. 

2 hours ago, Eagles $5$ said:

I think we need to give him another opportunity to redeem himself this year... The defense was just killed by injuries, so he can't take all the blame for this season. He did better towards the end, so hopefully he'll do better next year.

We just can't have games like the Carolina, Tennessee, Saints, etc. this year. 

true

But the game is set up to favor offense, all those games had something is common.....the offense got stagnant and fluttered.
yes we can't be letting up 3rd and longs and 4th downs....but the offense not doing anything the second half of the game is what killed us and the defense.

He's done some things which I thought were different...like playing the sticks on 3rd and long, then teams adjusted. I think this year 3rd and long was difficult mainly because of the injuries we had on the backend. 

I personally would've loved to see more stunting from our DL, a little more than the vanilla pre snap looks and an emphasis on turnovers. I never see guys trying to force fumbles, the defensive unit does a great job rallying to the ball. 2nd and 3rd defender should look to punch/rip the ball. 

I think the responses are about where I expected them to be (so far). He's a good DC, but definitely not perfect. Could we find a better replacement? Who knows. But the defense is definitely night and day from the Billy Davis and Juan Castillo days. Good lord. I've disagreed with some of Jim's decisions but I think at the end the results as a whole speak for themselves.

I´ve never been a fan of his scheme. I hate soft zone with a passion, but he did a very good job despite the crippling injuries to the unit. I liked that he gave Rasul more freedom (or at least it looked that way). It would be interesting to see how he´d play the CB at the line if we had someone good at the position because he seems to have adjusted the defense to the strengths of Maddox and Douglas in the last weeks. Of course then Rasul got injured again and that 48 and Tre Sullivan sent everything down the toilet.

3 hours ago, Phire said:

I think the responses are about where I expected them to be (so far). He's a good DC, but definitely not perfect. Could we find a better replacement? Who knows. But the defense is definitely night and day from the Billy Davis and Juan Castillo days. Good lord. I've disagreed with some of Jim's decisions but I think at the end the results as a whole speak for themselves.

Lol, just remembered.

20 hours ago, Daimonas said:

He relies entirely on his D-line doing 70 percent of the work and can't physically adjust any scheme. Could we be fine with it? Yeah if most of our D-line wasn't old or leaving. I think we need a fresh face at DC.

So much this.

Archived