Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Phire

How do we feel about Jim Schwartz?

The Jim Schwartz Referendum  

24 members have voted

  1. 1. Your feelings on Schwartz...

    • One of the best DCs; Eagles are lucky to have him.
      5
    • One of the better DCs; but someone else might do better.
      13
    • An average DC; we can easily do better.
      4
    • A bad DC; needs to be fired.
      2
    • The worst DC ever; he's the reason we aren't going back to back.
      0


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

We were a team coming in with a secondary banged up to hell and had our most important corner and d-line get hurt after that 1st quarter.

It took the Saints a fake punt, trick play and 4th and goal conversion to score their first TD.

Not to mention the time off didn't bother the Pats, Rams, and Chiefs offenses.

Nah... I think I'll give our team their due.

None of these are named the Saints. They are their own teams with their own practices. Saying it didn't bother them so it didn't bother the saints is nonsense. Can you really watch the start of that game and say they looked like a team ready to play? If so then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually can't understand why people think Schwartz is the issue. Our defensive talent outside of our DL this past season was mediocre at best and he still fielded a defense that was able to compete with some of the best offenses in the league. Is he the best DC in the league? No, but he is definitely a lot better than most.

I do think he is a bit hard headed in forcing his DBs to play a certain way and not blitzing as much as I would like to see, but his system for the most part is really solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daimonas said:

None of these are named the Saints. They are their own teams with their own practices. Saying it didn't bother them so it didn't bother the saints is nonsense. Can you really watch the start of that game and say they looked like a team ready to play? If so then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You're making a weak excuse for the Saints. That's what mentioning those teams was getting at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Actually can't understand why people think Schwartz is the issue. Our defensive talent outside of our DL this past season was mediocre at best and he still fielded a defense that was able to compete with some of the best offenses in the league. Is he the best DC in the league? No, but he is definitely a lot better than most.

I do think he is a bit hard headed in forcing his DBs to play a certain way and not blitzing as much as I would like to see, but his system for the most part is really solid.

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people confuse sticking with the scheme to inability or unwillingness to adjust. This is a defense that relies on the DL to create havoc up front. He isn't going to ditch that in a game, no matter the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phire said:

I think people confuse sticking with the scheme to inability or unwillingness to adjust. This is a defense that relies on the DL to create havoc up front. He isn't going to ditch that in a game, no matter the situation.

Running prevent for the entirety of the fourth quarter when they just ran up the field 3 consecutive times in one quarter when you had been shutting them out prior, suggests otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year we had a top5 defense. This year, during the sudden-death period, Eagles had a top5 defense. Does he have flaws? Sure, but he is one of the reasons this team won a super bowl last year and was competing for one this year. 

On a side note, does he even have a contract? I was trying to find how many years he was signed initally, but couldn't find the info. Doug said all coordinators would be back, so presumably he has at least a 4th year in his contract, but beyond that year we may lose out on him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty torn on him. I have a legitimate gripe with his scheme, it as one-dimensional and basic as they come. Play zone, rarely blitz. Stop the front 4? You'll have a field day. Don't? It'll be a long day. There is so little creativity with our defense. 

 

On the other hand, look at the talent, it's not all that great and never has been outside of the front 4, yet the defense has had several great games over the past 2 years and several game winning stands. 

 

This team has a legitimate problem with holding onto leads, but that really has as much to do with the offense as it does the defense. Our D goes into "prevent" mode and the DL naturally gets less effective as the game goes and it tires out (no matter how much we rotate, you're going to be more tired in quarter 4 than quarter 1), the result is our vanilla D gets shredded. Meanwhile the offense just suddenly forgets how to move the chains, they go conservative, and 3 & out. Result is flat out blowing leads, or letting teams back into games they have no business being in and needing a goal line stop to win. It's a real problem that has been plaguing this team since last year and I'm not sure what the solution is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×