How do we feel about Jim Schwartz?

Phire

The Jim Schwartz Referendum  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Your feelings on Schwartz...

• One of the best DCs; Eagles are lucky to have him.
    • One of the better DCs; but someone else might do better.
    • An average DC; we can easily do better.
    • A bad DC; needs to be fired.
    • The worst DC ever; he's the reason we aren't going back to back.

If Fletcher Cox wasn't on this team,  most of you would hate him. Cox is the only reason his scheme even looks middle of the pack. His 3rd down defense is beyond frustrating. Great scheme against the run,  but it doesn't cut it against good qb's, unless Fletcher Cox is single handedly wrecking OL's before they can get the ball out.

12 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

If Fletcher Cox wasn't on this team,  most of you would hate him. Cox is the only reason his scheme even looks middle of the pack. His 3rd down defense is beyond frustrating. Great scheme against the run,  but it doesn't cut it against good qb's, unless Fletcher Cox is single handedly wrecking OL's before they can get the ball out.

well to be fair fletcher would make every defensive coordinator in the league look better.

That's what I'm saying.  Schwartz is just an average DC who was blessed with the best all around DT in the NFL. Billy Davis would do just about as well without Chips O going 3 and out in 10 seconds.

Could you do worse than Schwartz? Of course, but we could also do better. Aka someone who blitzes their lb's more and plays press man or bump and run on 3rd down. One thing we know is Jim Schwartz isn't going to change. I want someone who actually adjusts.

Schwartz is not the reason Brees played like crap. Fletcher Cox is the reason Drew Brees played like crap. 

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

His 3rd down d was great last year when we had a healthier/more talented secondary.

He's had bad or inexperienced corners this year and his first year when the 3rd down d was just around middle of the pack.

Fletcher Cox makes the job easier? Sure. As does Aaron Donald for Wade Phillips or any great defender for any defensive coordinator.

Also, Fletcher Cox was hurt/out for a good portion of the Saints game and Rasul Douglas going down for a while had a big effect on how we had to play defense.

Despite all that we still held a pretty much completely healthy Saints team to their lowest point total at home this season.... week 17 when they sat their starters doesn't count.

People give schwartz and our D WAY too much credit for how badly the saints played early on in that game. The bucs could have held them to 0 points in that first quarter. They were completely out of practice and that's on them. I firmly believe if they were ready to go out the gate the score would not have been so close.

27 minutes ago, Daimonas said:

People give schwartz and our D WAY too much credit for how badly the saints played early on in that game. The bucs could have held them to 0 points in that first quarter. They were completely out of practice and that's on them. I firmly believe if they were ready to go out the gate the score would not have been so close.

We were a team coming in with a secondary banged up to hell and had our most important corner and d-line get hurt after that 1st quarter.

It took the Saints a fake punt, trick play and 4th and goal conversion to score their first TD.

Not to mention the time off didn't bother the Pats, Rams, and Chiefs offenses.

Nah... I think I'll give our team their due.

I mean there is no way around the fact we sucked on 3rd down that game, but to not give credit for how they battled and did what it took to put us in a position to win in a super tough place to play against Brees (rust or no rust) is ridiculous.

Also, it annoys me imaging what we might've done if Cox and Douglas never miss extended periods of time and Foles was able to not keep putting the defense back out on the field after that 1st quarter.

The only pass Schwartz gets are those injuries which I'm sure made calling his Defense  more difficult.

..................HOWEVER...............

His complete and utter lack of in game adjustments,  refusal to blitz and inability to put the right players in the right situations is what makes him Average at best. He could mess up a wet dream, if given the opportunity.

4th QT collapses, Putting Scrubs on Idlands like Mills, Mush rushing 3-4 DLineman to drop 7/8, never blitzing is all on him. Hopefully he figures his **** out next season, adapts, shocks the world with something new so OC and QB's dont have there way with us. 

Time will tell.

42 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

inability to put the right players in the right situations is what makes him Average at best

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/17/avonte-maddox-a-skeleton-key-for-eagles-defense/

Credit goes to Jim Schwartz, who — no matter where Maddox lined up — has found a way to get him into intermediate zones and let him play with instincts and quickness. When he was the free safety, Schwartz brought him down as a robber in Inverted Tampa 2; as the slot corner, he played the curl/flat in traditional Cover 3. Here, in what looks like Cover 3 Cloud, Maddox gets to split the intermediate and short routes to his side, certain he has safety help over the top and won’t get beat deep.

Archived