NFL Can't Find Liability Insurance For Head Trauma

DigInBoys

Of course they can't. Insurance companies make their money off of charging customers enough so that they make more in revenue than they pay out in coverage based off of the odds of any insured accident occurring. Customers get value out of buying insurance because it is so much cheaper than paying out of pocket on the accident if it does happen.

Head trauma in the NFL is looking to be a nearly 100% occurrence for players, the insurance companies can't profit by covering the NFL unless they charge the NFL more than it would cost to pay for it out of pocket.

The answer is going to end up coming in the form of lawyers and agents convincing players to sign their rights to health away for paychecks, and players are going to do it.

It's a long read so I only got about half way thru earlier today and a little more just now. But man.

The NFL no longer has general liability insurance covering head trauma, according to multiple sources; just one carrier is willing to provide workers' compensation coverage for NFL teams. Before concussion litigation roiled the NFL beginning in 2011, at least a dozen carriers occupied the insurance market for pro football, according to industry experts.

So they have lost at least 11 providers in the last 8 years and are now down to only one. Wow. That's a far cry from this...

When the XFL last existed, in 2001, insurance companies were lining up to cover pro football.

AND they're canceling some junior college teams altogether in certain districts!?

Player development and availability is def going to take a big hit in the long run at this rate.

The only thing the NFL can do at this point to help minimize the damage, per say, would be to stop defenders from hitting the QB and start telling the refs to blow the whistles too soon on certain plays. Oh wait....

2 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

The answer is going to end up coming in the form of lawyers and agents convincing players to sign their rights to health away for paychecks, and players are going to do it.

The answer is going to be to keep going in the same direction that they're already going.....

NFL-Flag-Football-logo-300x171.jpg

2 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

That's not how its going to "end up".

Thats how it is....and how it's always been.

Football has always had its risks that players have known.   Even with all the new studies about CTE and players knowing full well what to expect later in life, not much has changed.     Players continue to essentially "sign their rights to health away for paychecks" .    Thats why I laugh at some of the old former players who claim they wouldnt have played if they knew the risks.   100% grade BULLSHIZ!   Its easy for them to say later in life in hindsight, but if they went back in time and into their prime, and they had the option to either work a 9 to 5 for 40+ years or have 10 to 15 years of fame and fortune....I guarantee at least 90% of them would do it all over again. 

anecdotal here...

but my 'generation" grew up on checking stats in Sporting News magazines in the school library and were wowed by the advent of the internet and fantasy football. People that are 10 yrs younger than me (and younger) that are entering the workforce now (so I interact with them) don't have the 'zest' for the NFL that my friends and I did at their age.

I think the dwindling participation is an omen. Football will be around for a long time because it's ingrained. Everyone born before 1990 is going to turn it on for Thanksgiving, playoffs and the Super Bowl. But I can personally attest to (only very recently) going "ehhhhh" at game-day ticket prices.

The TV revenue is going to be huge for another generation, but I'm immensely curious to see how this discussion looks 25 years from now. I suspect the delta from 2019-2039 will be very, very different than that from 1999 to 2019.

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

That's not how its going to "end up".

Thats how it is....and how it's always been.

Football has always had its risks that players have known.   Even with all the new studies about CTE and players knowing full well what to expect later in life, not much has changed.     Players continue to essentially "sign their rights to health away for paychecks" .    Thats why I laugh at some of the old former players who claim they wouldnt have played if they knew the risks.   100% grade BULLSHIZ!   Its easy for them to say later in life in hindsight, but if they went back in time and into their prime, and they had the option to either work a 9 to 5 for 40+ years or have 10 to 15 years of fame and fortune....I guarantee at least 90% of them would do it all over again. 

Yes but now they are suing the NFL and winning. The NFL will fix it's problem by making it so the players can't sue.

10 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Of course they can't. Insurance companies make their money off of charging customers enough so that they make more in revenue than they pay out in coverage based off of the odds of any insured accident occurring. Customers get value out of buying insurance because it is so much cheaper than paying out of pocket on the accident if it does happen.

Head trauma in the NFL is looking to be a nearly 100% occurrence for players, the insurance companies can't profit by covering the NFL unless they charge the NFL more than it would cost to pay for it out of pocket.

That, and, it's probably nearly impossible for them to predict the amortization table for this.  We've only seen the beginning.

6 hours ago, incognito_man said:

anecdotal here...

but my 'generation" grew up on checking stats in Sporting News magazines in the school library and were wowed by the advent of the internet and fantasy football. People that are 10 yrs younger than me (and younger) that are entering the workforce now (so I interact with them) don't have the 'zest' for the NFL that my friends and I did at their age.

I think the dwindling participation is an omen. Football will be around for a long time because it's ingrained. Everyone born before 1990 is going to turn it on for Thanksgiving, playoffs and the Super Bowl. But I can personally attest to (only very recently) going "ehhhhh" at game-day ticket prices.

The TV revenue is going to be huge for another generation, but I'm immensely curious to see how this discussion looks 25 years from now. I suspect the delta from 2019-2039 will be very, very different than that from 1999 to 2019.

I've seen the same too.  Those 10 years younger than me don't seem nearly as heavily invested as those my age (mid-30's) and older.

They can find it...they just need to go into the surplus lines market (if that last carrier drops them).  If something is insurable, someone will insure it....they just need to pay a little higher cost.  I've worked in insurance for 20 years, there is no such thing as "I can't find insurance."  As far as the NFL goes, that holds true...the only thing they are saying is that "I don't want to pay the cost that the insurance companies are offering."  

Archived