GDT - NFCCG Rams (13-3) @ Saints (13-3): Get loud.

Canadian Saint

Win and you're in. That's the line Payton is going to tell his team prior to Sunday. Win and you're onto Atlanta. Win and you are 60 minutes away from being immortal.

In the way is a young team on the rise. Led by HC Sean McVay, whom if you shook his hand once you're probably interviewing for a head coaching job in the league. He's shown to be a talented head coach and playcaller. His team has oodles of talent throughout the roster including up-and-coming young QB Goff and DPOY and future HOF DT Aaron Donald.

Saints will be without DT Sheldon Rankins. The young DT tore his achilles and is out till next season. David Onyemata and Tyler Davison have to step up in place of Rankins, especially for the pass rush.

Injury report:

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/1/17/18187605/nfl-playoffs-2019-los-angeles-rams-new-orleans-saints-thursday-injury-report

Rams literally have no one on the injury report. Saints' O-line was a full practice and WR Kirkwood and TE Watson were both DNP.

Coaches corner:

On offense I think you'll see Thomas in the slot a lot. The Rams will put Talib against Thomas after Peters' disaster against him last time they met. Talib is still a great CB, however he isn't as effective in the slot. I think we'll see a lot of Ginn Jr., and Kamara lining up at WR too.

Defensively this game gets a lot tougher. Gurley and Anderson are both capable RBs. With Rankins down, we'll need Onyemata and Davison to really step up make the interior less porous. Cooks and Woods are good WRs. I think Apple will be on Woods and Lattimore on Cooks. Imo though, it all starts with Gurley and that ground game. Slow that down, and I think you have a better chance against Goff and those WRs.

I think the Dome is going to play a big role in this game. After the Rams' comments, and Payton asking for noise, I reckon this will be as loud as it has been in a while.

30-14 Saints. Who Dat!

I think people are underestimating how young we are as a team as well.  Sure we have some super old timers like Coleman, Brees, and Watson that increase our team age, but we came into the season at 26.2 y/o and the Rams were only 25.3 y/o so it's not like they were some spring chickens.  If you take out swap out Brees for a rookie deal QB like the Rams have and the Saints would be almost the same age as them.

That being said, I'm not super confident in this game.  With all of our injuries it will be very tough for our offense to produce and with the Rams offense now surging, which even when we were at our best we couldn't hold them under 30.    I hope to be wrong and the boys come out and get it done, but I'm braced for the worst.

I'm guessing we load the box to shut down that run game so the Rams have to rely on Goff. That's where the noise comes in.

No team in the league is going to beat a team that rushes for 278 yards like the cowboys allowed. If we can shut down (or slow down) the run to help take away the play action, this will be a good game. If Gurley starts out hot, we're toast.

I'm confident our offense can put points on the board as long as Brees stays clean. I just hope Payton doesn't get too pass happy, or too cute too early.

If we can have 3-5 minutes to our favor in time of possession, it'll be HUGE!

This is going to be a 3 point game.

The time for uncertain is over. We’re in the NFC Championship, the 1st seed, and playing in the Dome. I think that the Saints win. 

Not having Rankins hurts but this is an elite run stopping unit with or without Rankins. If I was a betting man, I’d bet that C.J. Anderson goes nowhere and the Rams have to rely on less than 100% Gurley. This is a big game and I ultimately trust Brees more than Goff...especially in the Dome. 

I really hope I'm wrong but I got a bad feeling about this one. Hopefully the crowd is enough of a factor to even things out a little bit, but they're coming in hot and we look beat up and a little bit desperate. I'd love to feel confident but the mojo just isn't there. Again, I really hope I'm wrong.

Should be a close game, 3 or 7 points - with the caveat that if we come out the way we did last week, they're going to blow us out in a way the Eagles just weren't capable of doing and there won't be any coming back from another big hole.

I'm glad this game is in New Orleans at least. D-Line has a huge test ahead of them. Rams running game clobbered the Cowboys last week but they can pass protect too and I understand that we want to put the ball in Goff's hands but he will shred this defense if there is never anyone in his face. Period. I wonder how often we blitz / how often we show run looks with safeties near the line of scrimmage. Cooks is stupid fast and Woods is a smooth route runner - I'm dreading the inevitable YAC yards.

Offense has to control the clock and score efficiently. And it'll only get harder in two weeks if we do win

58 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Damn. Buncha of nay say nancies in here. Have some faith!

21 - 3 Saints at the end of the first qtr. You can all beg for forgiveness afterwards for ever doubting ;)

Yeah...I’ve learned that I’m going to be destroyed if we lose either way...so there is no benefit of “preparing myself”.

20 hours ago, SWATcha said:

Damn. Buncha of nay say nancies in here. Have some faith!

21 - 3 Saints at the end of the first qtr. You can all beg for forgiveness afterwards for ever doubting ;)

It can be fun to dream.

I'll gladly ask for forgiveness later if that happens though.

17 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

We'll be without TE Benjamin Watson tomorrow. He has appendicitis.

So they're trying to "avoid surgery". I guess I didn't know that was an option. Usually they just yank the thing outta there.

Hope he gets well and can play in the Superbowl.

Archived