Cowboys fire OC Scott Linehan

49erurtaza

36 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Maybe not.  I've heard that UGA's James Coley could be considered a candidate for this position, and he, as well as his head coach at UGA Kirby Smart, were on Saban's staff in Miami.  

It's simply amazing that the guy's connections all stem from his 2 year span of being a QB coach in Miami.  Garrett was never even qualified to be the Cowboy's OC in 2007 in the first place (luckily Matts has a 30-day-Vacay,  because he would be arguing w/me about this to death and make this a 20-page thread).

As most people know about the Nepotism that is the Jones family, not many know about the level of nepotism in the Garrett Family (Daddy and three sons).  You just can't rid yourself of them or their network. It's a package deal when you hire just one of those friggin' snake charmers. They're like a bunch of Pikeys! lol

5 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I hear Jim Bob Cooter, Mike McCoy, and Marty Mornhinweg are available

I think Jimbob would be a good fit. And I’m not saying that because of the obvious name connection to the Cowboys 

he needs to run the ball much more than he did in Detroit if he ever got hired 

27 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

he needs to run the ball much more than he did in Detroit if he ever got hired 

Garrett has no problem taking another former Lion's OC, that was pass-happy, and dumbing him down with a 2-page playbook written in crayons.  Linehan wasn't the answer we needed after the 2013 season, but he wasn't the main problem. The problem was the vanilla offense that Garrett brought to Dallas in 2007 kept bleeding-through with Callahan and Linehan at the helm of "playcalling" duties. Sure, they were both calling plays, but it was still from the Garrett playbook of "we don't out-scheme our opponents, we out-execute them! Fight!". Garrett is still trying to re-live his days with the 90's Cowboys (pre-salary cap) where you could win off talent alone.  Jerruh absolutely revels (glory-hole days) and believes in Garrett's fallacy and here we are today.

7 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Fans can over exaggerate how bad their OCs are, but Linehan is legit one of the worst I’ve ever seen.  

I didnt think he was bad in 2014 when they first hired him and he was calling plays for them (even though he wasnt the official OC at the time).  Or 2016 for that matter.  Not like he had a whole lot to work with on offense outside of Elliott this season, especially before the Cooper trade and also considering the fact that Travis Frederick missed the entire season.  But I agree on the note that he failed to use Dak where he was most effective, and that's outside of the pocket.  Dak seems to throw significantly better when he rolls out from everything I've seen from him.  I cant find an official stat to back up my claim at the moment, but he's better at throwing on the run and is a gutty runner as a QB

So yes, he probably did call way too many plays for Dak to stay in the pocket and, in turn, get hit and sacked more often than not when he was back there because he doesn't have great pocket presence and takes too long to throw

3 hours ago, ///mcompact said:

Garrett has no problem taking another former Lion's OC, that was pass-happy, and dumbing him down with a 2-page playbook written in crayons.  Linehan wasn't the answer we needed after the 2013 season, but he wasn't the main problem. The problem was the vanilla offense that Garrett brought to Dallas in 2007 kept bleeding-through with Callahan and Linehan at the helm of "playcalling" duties. Sure, they were both calling plays, but it was still from the Garrett playbook of "we don't out-scheme our opponents, we out-execute them! Fight!". Garrett is still trying to re-live his days with the 90's Cowboys (pre-salary cap) where you could win off talent alone.  Jerruh absolutely revels (glory-hole days) and believes in Garrett's fallacy and here we are today.

That's not necessarily a bad philosophy if your coach is actually smart enough to put the team in a position to out-execute the other. Unfortunately, Jason Garrett isn't that guy.

6 hours ago, ///mcompact said:

It's simply amazing that the guy's connections all stem from his 2 year span of being a QB coach in Miami.  Garrett was never even qualified to be the Cowboy's OC in 2007 in the first place (luckily Matts has a 30-day-Vacay,  because he would be arguing w/me about this to death and make this a 20-page thread).

As most people know about the Nepotism that is the Jones family, not many know about the level of nepotism in the Garrett Family (Daddy and three sons).  You just can't rid yourself of them or their network. It's a package deal when you hire just one of those friggin' snake charmers. They're like a bunch of Pikeys! lol

Trust me, as a Redskins fan I am just as tired of the Jay Gruden/Bruce Allen connection with the Buccaneers.  

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That's not necessarily a bad philosophy if your coach is actually smart enough to put the team in a position to out-execute the other. Unfortunately, Jason Garrett isn't that guy.

Yeah, none of these final 4 teams have a propensity of out-scheming opposing teams.   Garrett could easily take the Saints roster and duplicate what Payton has done..

2 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

Yeah, none of these final 4 teams have a propensity of out-scheming opposing teams.   Garrett could easily take the Saints roster and duplicate what Payton has done..

I'm thinking this is sarcasm, but it doesn't make sense for this to be sarcasm in response to my comment. So I'm confused.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I'm thinking this is sarcasm, but it doesn't make sense for this to be sarcasm in response to my comment. So I'm confused.

What I'm saying is that Garrett is a crap coach, was not qualified to be an OC, didn't deserve to be waterboy, lucked into Romo (that was found/developed by Parcells/Payton), threw coaches under the bus (Wade Wilson, your DC, and later Rob Ryan, Kiffin, Callahan, and now Linehan ).  His playbooks has lived on since 2007.  No rub routes, no picks.....he just doesn't change formations or WR routes. It's curls and go routes.  It's "impose our will" running Zeke in between the tackles of a 40% loaded box a game. 

As a Ram fan, especially after our last two meetings, do you think the offensive philosophies are the same?

Archived