Cowboys fire OC Scott Linehan

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, ///mcompact said:

What I'm saying is that Garrett is a crap coach, was not qualified to be an OC, didn't deserve to be waterboy, lucked into Romo (that was found/developed by Parcells/Payton), threw coaches under the bus (Wade Wilson, your DC, and later Rob Ryan, Kiffin, Callahan, and now Linehan ).  His playbooks has lived on since 2007.  No rub routes, no picks.....he just doesn't change formations or WR routes. It's curls and go routes.  It's "impose our will" running Zeke in between the tackles of a 40% loaded box a game. 

As a Ram fan, especially after our last two meetings, do you think the offensive philosophies are the same?

No. As I said, Jason Garrett isn't the sort of coach who can get his guys to out-execute the high-level opposition consistently. With any successful offense, you're going to have to both out-scheme and out-execute the opposition. But offensive minds generally fall more towards one side of that scale. Peyton Manning and Sean McVay's offenses were more towards the execution side. Andy Reid and Doug Pederson's offenses are more towards the scheming side. I'm not defending Garrett. He sucks. I'm only saying that philosophy isn't necessarily a loser.

P.S. I never knew that our DC's alter ego is Deadpool. ;)

some real people on the Cowboys subreddit seemed to unironically believe that the Cowboys OC job is a top tier job in football. Legit suggesting that Bienemy would leave KC to be the Cowboys OC. Dan Mullen would leave Florida.

real people

Well let's be real, Someone had to be the scapegoat for the season. Sure as hell was going to be Jason! Evidently Garrett just claps and has absolutely no say as the Teams HC on what the OC should and shouldn't do when game planning and calling plays.

If only every team in the NFL was run like that. They too could be as successful as the Hotboys.

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That's not necessarily a bad philosophy if your coach is actually smart enough to put the team in a position to out-execute the other. Unfortunately, Jason Garrett isn't that guy.

It's very smart on Garrett's end. He has no obligation to scheme numbers advantages in the run game or complementary route combinations to help get guys separation. Just ram it into loaded box and call almost exclusively isolated comebacks, slants, and quick outs. That way, when we get stuffed at the LOS and no one gets open... well actually it's the players' fault, they just didn't execute, you see. What's that, Mr. Jones? Fifty million U.S. dollars, no state income tax? Well, if you say so.

6 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

some real people on the Cowboys subreddit seemed to unironically believe that the Cowboys OC job is a top tier job in football. Legit suggesting that Bienemy would leave KC to be the Cowboys OC. Dan Mullen would leave Florida.

real people

That place is an absolute cesspool. I think they're all like 14 years old. Forget the glory days of the 90's- these guys don't even seem to remember the end of last decade. You have people legitimately saying that this is the best and most complete Dallas team of their lifetimes even though we literally had 12 Pro Bowlers in 2007.

They also downvote the **** out of you if you insinuate that Romo may have had any slightly positive influence on the offensive game-planning in 2016, choosing instead to perpetuate the team-imposed narrative that he was a mopey malcontent who didn't get along with Dak and that we should attribute Dak's rookie year success entirely to Kellen Moore and Mark Sanchez... while also upvoting the **** out of anything related to Romo being our offensive coordinator.

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

P.S. I never knew that our DC's alter ego is Deadpool. ;)

Wade Wilson, our former QB coach that got trampled by bus tires last year.

CjWEFf2WgAENa9u.jpg

Wade Phillips was what I mean to say.  Dang, even in my mistake, I found yet another casualty of Garrett!  The man must live next to a bust station.

37 minutes ago, raidersedge said:

I'd hire Bill Musgrave. He just simply designs the offense around the talent on the roster. Carr was playing at such a high level under Musgrave he was in the running for MVP in 2016. Raiders had a great rushing attack too. He's a good OC.

I wonder what happened in Denver. 

5 hours ago, matt79511 said:

That place is an absolute cesspool.

Yeah I never post in the Saints subreddit. If you’re not an absolutely blind and crazed homer, you’re a hater/troll/bandwagon fan.  

its a terrible place for discussion.

14 hours ago, ///mcompact said:

Yeah, none of these final 4 teams have a propensity of out-scheming opposing teams.   Garrett could easily take the Saints roster and duplicate what Payton has done..

Except the Rams and the Chiefs.... I agree that the Cowboys roster (outside of quarterback obviously) is better and more talented all around than it gets credit for, especially on the defensive side of the ball, but I highly doubt that it translates to a 13-3 roster even with Drew Brees instead of Dak

20 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

I didnt think he was bad in 2014 when they first hired him and he was calling plays for them (even though he wasnt the official OC at the time).  Or 2016 for that matter.  Not like he had a whole lot to work with on offense outside of Elliott this season, especially before the Cooper trade and also considering the fact that Travis Frederick missed the entire season.  But I agree on the note that he failed to use Dak where he was most effective, and that's outside of the pocket.  Dak seems to throw significantly better when he rolls out from everything I've seen from him.  I cant find an official stat to back up my claim at the moment, but he's better at throwing on the run and is a gutty runner as a QB

So yes, he probably did call way too many plays for Dak to stay in the pocket and, in turn, get hit and sacked more often than not when he was back there because he doesn't have great pocket presence and takes too long to throw

That's bc you cut the field in half and make the progressions much simpler, its 1, 2, 3, run.  To be a successful qb in the NFL long term you have to be able to play in the pocket

10 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

That's bc you cut the field in half and make the progressions much simpler, its 1, 2, 3, run.  To be a successful qb in the NFL long term you have to be able to play in the pocket

Oh no doubt.  But since he struggles more from the pocket, you’d think they would at least try to use him outside of the pocket more often or design more plays intended to go to the right side of the field 

Archived