Redskins had McVay, K Shanahan and LaFleur as Assistants under Shanahan

MKnight82

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/38054/mike-shanahan-knew-he-had-something-special-in-his-young-assistants 

When Matt LaFleur was hired last week by the Green Bay Packers, he became the third former Redskins assistant coach under Mike Shanahan to be hired as an NFL head coach......

......That's what happened with this group. At the time Shanahan compiled this staff, there was some criticism that he was simply allowing his son to hire his friends. Turns out, they were gathering good, young minds. They all run a variation of a West Coast system, with each one including wrinkles from various stops; McVay incorporated some of Jay Gruden's offense, for example. But each of the three shared a core belief in what they ran in Washington. It also helped that Mike Shanahan would have his coaches present their offense in front of the defensive coaches and vice versa. It sharpened their ability to present in front of a group -- a key skill for a coordinator or head coach.

"You have guys that really understand what was going on when they were coaching together," Shanahan said. "They had a system they believed in. Obviously every coach is as good as his personnel. ... You have to have a system that gives you a chance and then in turn to put people in situations so they can attack a defense."......

I said this at the time, when Shanahan was fired we should of just handed the reins over to Kyle Shanahan and stuck with our same staff.  We were building something special and blew up our offensive philosophy for no reason (mostly the Oline which we completely blew up).  

Bruce Allen again. He should have explained to Snyder that RG iii's style wouldn't transfer to the NFL-Let him draft Cuz in Rd # 3 and develop him . Keep all those high draft choices and we would have been fine, fine, super fine .

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I said this at the time, when Shanahan was fired we should of just handed the reins over to Kyle Shanahan and stuck with our same staff.  We were building something special and blew up our offensive philosophy for no reason (mostly the Oline which we completely blew up).  

I think your quoted part above just goes to show you the quality head coach we had in Mike Shanahan.  However, he introduced the Bruce Allen plague to the Redskins, and it all went downhill from there.  Even a great coach like Shanahan isn't immune to the Redskins dysfunction. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Mike McDaniel has also followed Kyle Shanahan around and is now the 49ers run game coordinator, and I don't think Kyle Shanahan has nearly the success he's had in his career if not for the influence of Chris Foerster's style of zone-blocking.  It's been time-tested for years.  

Dude took the Falcons to the SuperBowl and they were garbage after that:

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Dude took the Falcons to the SuperBowl and they were garbage after that:

Yep, Dan Quinn just fired all of his coordinators in one final attempt to keep his job.  It's weird, I thought for sure by finally adding a legit weapon in Calvin Ridley opposite Julio Jones that their offense would finally click.  Then injuries happened at RB, and despite Quinn being a defensive-minded coach, the defense for the most of his tenure hasn't been where it should be.  

If this type of topic doesn't make fans really start to question why they really root for this team or expect them to succeed I dont know what will, unless the goal isn't winning a Superbowl. 

This is the reason why I think Mcdaniels will succeed wherever he goes. He had success with Tim Tebow. McDaniels lead the Broncos to the playoffs during his tenure in Denver. Took a break and has picked things up from no one better but Bill Belichick. While its looking like Mcdaniels will be the successor of Belichick, you have to take a shot at him every year Belichick continues to coach. If Belichick was to coach another 3-5 years, I don't think Mcdaniels waits that long to take another Head Coaching gig. 

Under current circumstances its been proven Bruce Allen is willing to let competent NFL guys go elsewhere just to boost his ego. So being as though Snyder was to get rid of him, Snyder could hire guys to turn this organization around or just move some to different positions. They already have Doug Williams who seems to be pretty well accepted by the media, Kevin O'connell has some buzz. So while Snyder doesn't always keep the best of the best he has had talented coaches apart of his staffs. Let Bruce go and pay the right guy to lead the way!!

Archived