Evaluating Gutenkunst's first year

James Lofton

Well, let's see how the new guy did. Some, of course, is hard to grade so soon (like the draft) but herE it goes anyway. First I'll just sort of lay it out. Let me know if I missed anything important.

Cut -- Jordy Nelson

Signed -- Jimmy Graham

Signed -- Muhammad Wilkerson

Signed -- Tramon Williams

Signed -- Marcedes Lewis

Traded -- Damarious Randall to Browns for QB DeShone Kizer (and swapped 4th and 5th rough picks)

Traded -- Lenzy Pipkins to Colts for linebacker Antonio Morrison

Traded -- Brett Hundley to Seattle for 2019 sixth-round draft pick

Traded -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to Washington for 2019 fourth-round draft pick

Traded -- Ty Montgomery to Baltimore for a 2020 seventh-round draft pick

Extended -- Aaron Rodgers ($134 million for 4 years)

Drafted --

Jaire Alexander CB

Josh Jackson CB

Oren Burks ILB

J'Mon Moore WR

Cole Madison G

JK Scott P

Marquez Valdes-Scantling WR

Equanimeous St. Brown WR

James Looney DE

Hunter Bradley LS

Kendall Donnerson OLB

Cut -- Jordy Nelson - Good move and it was time. B

Signed -- Jimmy Graham - Not a great signing but not terrible C

Signed -- Muhammad Wilkerson - Good signing unfortunate injury C

Signed -- Tramon Williams - Good signing B -

Signed -- Marcedes Lewis - Meh Who cares. 

Traded -- Damarious Randall to Browns for QB DeShone Kizer (and swapped 4th and 5th rough picks) - My least favorite decision  of the year. We are in dire straights at safety and we let a potential prob bowl safety go for peanuts. - D

Traded -- Lenzy Pipkins to Colts for linebacker Antonio Morrison - Good move. Morrison was needed at multiple times this year and played relatively well. B- 

Traded -- Brett Hundley to Seattle for 2019 sixth-round draft pick - Got something for someone who wasn't going anywhere A

Traded -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to Washington for 2019 fourth-round draft pick - Meh still don't really know how I feel about this one. 

Traded -- Ty Montgomery to Baltimore for a 2020 seventh-round draft pick - Got something for a guy who wasn't worth anything. C

Extended -- Aaron Rodgers ($134 million for 4 years) - Needed to happen and happened A

Drafted --

Jaire Alexander CB - Great A+

Josh Jackson CB - Looked good and bad and good and bad C

Oren Burks ILB - Did he make the team? D

J'Mon Moore WR - Same as Burks. F 

Cole Madison G - Who? F

JK Scott P - Wildly inconsistent but showed talent C

Marquez Valdes-Scantling WR - Late round WRs are miss way more than hit A

Equanimeous St. Brown WR - Same as MVS A

James Looney DE - Jury still out

Hunter Bradley LS - Has looked good but its a LS so who cares

Kendall Donnerson OLB -  Jury still out

In all honesty looking at all his deals and weighing them all the same I see more failures than good signings but in reality, removing the hindsight, I thought he made a number of aggressive decent moves that wouldn't have been made in the TT era. 

3 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Cut -- Jordy Nelson - Good move and it was time. B

Signed -- Jimmy Graham - Not a great signing but not terrible C

Signed -- Muhammad Wilkerson - Good signing unfortunate injury C

Signed -- Tramon Williams - Good signing B -

Signed -- Marcedes Lewis - Meh Who cares. 

Traded -- Damarious Randall to Browns for QB DeShone Kizer (and swapped 4th and 5th rough picks) - My least favorite decision  of the year. We are in dire straights at safety and we let a potential prob bowl safety go for peanuts. - D

Traded -- Lenzy Pipkins to Colts for linebacker Antonio Morrison - Good move. Morrison was needed at multiple times this year and played relatively well. B- 

Traded -- Brett Hundley to Seattle for 2019 sixth-round draft pick - Got something for someone who wasn't going anywhere A

Traded -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to Washington for 2019 fourth-round draft pick - Meh still don't really know how I feel about this one. 

Traded -- Ty Montgomery to Baltimore for a 2020 seventh-round draft pick - Got something for a guy who wasn't worth anything. C

Extended -- Aaron Rodgers ($134 million for 4 years) - Needed to happen and happened A

Drafted --

Jaire Alexander CB - Great A+

Josh Jackson CB - Looked good and bad and good and bad C

Oren Burks ILB - Did he make the team? D

J'Mon Moore WR - Same as Burks. F 

Cole Madison G - Who? F

JK Scott P - Wildly inconsistent but showed talent C

Marquez Valdes-Scantling WR - Late round WRs are miss way more than hit A

Equanimeous St. Brown WR - Same as MVS A

James Looney DE - Jury still out

Hunter Bradley LS - Has looked good but its a LS so who cares

Kendall Donnerson OLB -  Jury still out

In all honesty looking at all his deals and weighing them all the same I see more failures than good signings but in reality, removing the hindsight, I thought he made a number of aggressive decent moves that wouldn't have been made in the TT era. 

Nelson .. same grade

Wilkerson, Graham, Williams  .... same grade

Randall ... I put this totally on the coaches; square peg in round hole.  Had no business at corner.  

Pipkins, Hundley, Montgomery ... who in the heck would have thought there was any trade value in any of those guys? 

HaHa ... totally uninterested in playing any more for the Packers.  Williams has done what he was doing and got a nice 4th for him.

Rodgers ... agree

Draft picks ... agree pretty much except for Madison.  Gute had no idea Madison wouldn't report.  Can't blame him for that. 

I don't see the failures you do; especially this being his 1st year as GM.  There were/still are a lot of frickin holes to fill and for many draft choices as often stated on this forum, minimum 3 years for a lot of guys to make it or fail.   

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The draft day deal for Saints 2019 1st, and subsequent trade back up to get Alexander was strong.  It's basically Alexander and Saints 1st for Davenport and Packers 3rd.  Looks like strong trades to me .. that's something for the plus column.

Good point.

32 minutes ago, James Lofton said:

Well, let's see how the new guy did. Some, of course, is hard to grade so soon (like the draft) but herE it goes anyway. First I'll just sort of lay it out. Let me know if I missed anything important.

Cut -- Jordy Nelson: C, no reason not to renegotiate a deal. Could've been a bridge for the kids, but did get hurt.

Signed -- Jimmy Graham: C, this is what you get in Free Agency. Declining and expensive

Signed -- Muhammad Wilkerson: D, got a quarter of a season of good play for 5 million.

Signed -- Tramon Williams: B, much needed and a bargain at that money. Needs to be gone next year though because that money doesn't track.

Signed -- Marcedes Lewis: C, signed for nothing and produced nothing.

Traded -- Damarious Randall to Browns for QB DeShone Kizer (and swapped 4th and 5th rough picks): F on its face with the only caveat being that we don't know what played behind the scenes.

Traded -- Lenzy Pipkins to Colts for linebacker Antonio Morrison: C, role player for role player swap. Didn't move the needle.

Traded -- Brett Hundley to Seattle for 2019 sixth-round draft pick: C, no needle moved on its face. Becomes an F if combined with the Kizer trade.

Traded -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to Washington for 2019 fourth-round draft pick: D, tank move when we were trying to win. Logical long term move saved it from an F.

Traded -- Ty Montgomery to Baltimore for a 2020 seventh-round draft pick: F, again with the caveat that we don't know what was happening in the locker room. 

Extended -- Aaron Rodgers ($134 million for 4 years): C, everybody in the world makes this move. Your grade for it depends on how you think Rodgers will play into the future.

Drafted --

Jaire Alexander CB: A, looks very good.

Josh Jackson CB: C, super inconsistent.

Oren Burks ILB: D, had every opportunity for meaningful snaps and instead looked lost.

J'Mon Moore WR: D, nothing.

Cole Madison G: D, nothing.

JK Scott P: F, spending a draft pick to get equivalent pointing production is rough.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling WR: A, looks like a long term starter.

Equanimeous St. Brown WR: B showed serious flashes.

James Looney DE: C, showed nothing.

Hunter Bradley LS: F, spent a draft pick on a worse LS than the street free agent.

Kendall Donnerson OLB: C, showed nothing.

C in all likelihood. 

Cut -- Jordy Nelson (Good move, Jordy was past it)

Signed -- Jimmy Graham (Bad move, deeper research into him showed he was largely a RZ fade target at this point in his career)

Signed -- Muhammad Wilkerson (Good process, sucks that Brice broke his leg)

Signed -- Tramon Williams (It's been fine, he was decent)

Signed -- Marcedes Lewis (McCarthy never really used him but he was cheap)

Traded -- Damarious Randall to Browns for QB DeShone Kizer (and swapped 4th and 5th rough picks) (An absolute disaster of a transaction. Randall is actually a pretty good DB and Kizer is hot garbage. Even if you HAD to get rid of Randall, at least acquire something semi-useful

Traded -- Lenzy Pipkins to Colts for linebacker Antonio Morrison (largely irrelevant)

Traded -- Brett Hundley to Seattle for 2019 sixth-round draft pick (fine)

Traded -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to Washington for 2019 fourth-round draft pick (good, HHCD was actually bad and getting a semi-valuable asset for him is a big plus)

Traded -- Ty Montgomery to Baltimore for a 2020 seventh-round draft pick (I mean, this whole situation was weird)

Extended -- Aaron Rodgers ($134 million for 4 years) (So the Rodgers extension is odd. GB didn't NEED to do this. The strictly financially prudent way to go about this was not extending him and franchising him twice once his old extension was up. Soft factors may have made that impossible though.)

Drafted --

Jaire Alexander CB (Slam dunk, looks like a legit CB1 candidate. Also this trade basically involved Gute turning a 2018 3rd into a 2019 1st which is some wizard s***)

Josh Jackson CB (More down than up, but had some moments. May be better served moving to safety. Was always going to take some time going from zone-heavy scheme to a more varied scheme in the NFL)

Oren Burks ILB (Taking an ILB in the 3rd kind of felt gross the entire time. He didn't really do anything.)

J'Mon Moore WR (had the dropsies in TC and never made an impact)

Cole Madison G (personal situation, so no grade here)

JK Scott P (he drafted a punter who then wasn't even that good, but it's also a day 3 pick)

Marquez Valdes-Scantling WR (great value for when he was drafted, looks like a good vertical threat)

Equanimeous St. Brown WR (another great value for draft spot, more diverse skillset than MVS)

James Looney DE (day 3 depth at DL so whatever)

Hunter Bradley LS (they needed a LS and got one)

Kendall Donnerson OLB (stupidly elite athlete, will probably need time to actually turn into an NFL player, but he looks the part)

Overall, I'd give him a B/B- for process and a C+/B- on results. It was largely fine aside from two clear mess-ups (Randall trade, Graham signing).

16 hours ago, TheBitzMan said:

If Gute was given full control and able to fire McCarthy prior to the season, does the Randall trade happen? I feel like that was more of a coach thing than a Gute thing. 

Doesn't the HHCD and the Montgomery trades, create a clear pattern of Gutekunst trading anybody he perceives to be a malcontent?

19 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Randall ... I put this totally on the coaches; square peg in round hole.  Had no business at corner.  

See, I disagree with that.  Randall played some pretty good corner.  Is he a better safety? Sure.  But he wasn't a bad corner.  At the time of the trade, he was probably the best CB on the roster.  We don't know what the issue behind the scenes was with Randall either.

Wouldn't it have been great to have traded HaHa before the season, likely for better compensation, and move Randall to safety?  

I'm not very impressed with him to be honest. 

*Signed Rodgers two years ahead of his contract ending without gaining much there and the contract favoring Rodgers.
*Cut the wrong receiver, who, contrary to popular belief here, still had tremendous value as a trusted target, especially in the red zone.
*Negotiated a team-friendly contract for the Bears with Kyle Fuller.
*Traded Randall, who everyone sees as an all-pro safety talent, for moving up in the 4th/5th and a backup QB who sucks.
*Overpaid for Graham, who, though good, was not worth an overpay.
*Did not provide a single addition to a pass rush that was in desperate need of attention.  The whole draft without a pass rusher? 
*Did not make any moves when it was clear we needed an addition in the season.  Fowler would have helped us.  Period. 

I think he nailed the draft, so that's very encouraging, but I think he's really bad at in-season management, and I don't think he put us in a great position to succeed this year.  He had some really strong moves, but a lot of weak moves and a lot of inaction where action was desperately needed. 

Breeland and Alexander were two great, great, great moves though.  Now it's on him to not screw up the Breeland move.  Get that contract done. 

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

*Negotiated a team-friendly contract for the Bears with Kyle Fuller.

I'm not sold on Gutekunst either but I chalk that one up to Russ Ball. If Ball wasn't directly responsible for the structure of that offer, he at the very least knew it had a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding, and yet the offer went out anyway.

Archived