Evaluating Gutenkunst's first year

James Lofton

Just now, incognito_man said:

I bet those are both easily in the bottom half of play-for-pay among 2018 FAs.

Sounds like a tedious exercise to go look at this, but yes, he was bad.

At Safety, Tramon probably would be but that's because the safety market has entirely bottomed out for reasons I can only speculate on. 

I don't know about at TE.

I can't be upset with Gute. He totally stole a pick from the Saints IMHO and we greatly benefit from it in this particular draft class given our needs. With Ted still around giving some influence, I think that helps Gute with some of the executive decisions that are new to him and it has benefitted him. I think we can get a better sense of what to expect from him over the next 18 months compared to the previous 10. JMO. So far, so good though given the hand he's been dealt...

3 hours ago, GFXBUCKZ said:

Giving a washed up Jimmy Graham all that money was a noob move. 

Better trying and failing than doing nothing at all.  Age, injuries, not being used correctly ... all why he didn't earn his contract.  Team had to try something and IF they want to cut him this year they can.  

14 hours ago, James Lofton said:

RIGHT MOVES:
cutting Jordy - love the guy, but he's too hurt to making millions)
trading Ha ha - even though I think Ha ha is an above average player I don't think we were gonna resign him. So at least we got something and I don't think the composition we would get will be higher than a 4th)
Trading Hundley - at least we got something for a guy I feel like the team had lost confidence in
Singing Tramon -- not a great help, maybe not worth the money on the field, but helped the backfield play well enough to have hope for the future.

WRONG MOVES:
trading Ty Montgomery - he made a bad play. I don't think he is a bad person. I think he could be a good slot receiver type player
trading Randall - I think he is a good player with a big mouth. too bad Packers couldn't find a way to work with him
All the other signings - None worked out to be worth the money. I had a hunch Graham was over.

PUSH:
Draft
- seems average to me (but like I said too soon) even including the trade for the 1st rounder this year I'm not impressed.
Extending Aaron - duh. Oh course. I think Russ Ball did what every team would have.

I wonder if we are wrongly assuming Ty was traded for that one boneheaded move?   Perhaps he was making other mistakes because he wasn't the sharpest bulb in the knife drawer?

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I'm lost how people think the Tramon signing was better than Wilk signing with hindsight.

Tramon was baaaad.

Yes, Tramon got beat a lot.  He is smart and savvy but it appears he is not fast enough any more.

17 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I wonder if we are wrongly assuming Ty was traded for that one boneheaded move?   Perhaps he was making other mistakes because he wasn't the sharpest bulb in the knife drawer?

Ty Montgomery is a verifiable rocket science compared to most NFL skill guys. Come the **** on 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Ty Montgomery is a verifiable rocket science compared to most NFL skill guys. Come the **** on 

How do you know this?  He might have been screwing up a lot.  What other reason could there be to cause us to ship his fanny out of town unless he too was a malcontent in the locker room?  And if he too was a malcontent then thank god McCarthy and most of his staff are gone.  It may be no coincidence we had at least 3 guys - along with Rodgers - that we know of that were unhappy last season on that team.  

The problem for Gute is all the moves are purely for the purposes of compiling a strong roster and the 2018 roster was probably the weakest roster for as long as I can remember. So you have to say so far he has failed and you have to be looking at a D or an E.

This is why its impossible to put any grades out because a lot of the moves are long-term and you can't really see whether or not they are going to work until down the line. It may be we win the super-bowl in 2 years because of the moves he made in 2018 in which case you say his first year was an A++. Until then all you can go by really is that its probably the weakest Packers side for a long time under his watch.

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Better trying and failing than doing nothing at all.  Age, injuries, not being used correctly ... all why he didn't earn his contract.  Team had to try something and IF they want to cut him this year they can.  

To counter that ... yet again nothing whatsoever in the way of draft capital spent on TE.

Trying to plug in an overpaid regressing vet to get by for a few years is fine if you have some degree of succession planning. But there is none so if we cut Graham , you have to do the same again with another vet. Same thing is starting to happen with OL and will do at WR unless we get very lucky with the late rounders. 

8 hours ago, Leader said:

He was a stop gap that lacked much stop and was all gap.

He was a stop gap but Not all stop gaps are the same. He was a meh player, but was he better than a late round pick/udfa. After seeing years of goodsons and gunters in our secondary wrecking games, I’d argue yes

25 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

He was a stop gap but Not all stop gaps are the same.

This certainly is true.

26 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

He was a meh player, but was he better than a late round pick/udfa.

This is possibly true. Depends on the player.

27 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

After seeing years of goodsons and gunters in our secondary wrecking games, I’d argue yes

Special teams players both. Gunter had his moments - unfortunately not enough of them for him to be a starting CB.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

This certainly is true.

This is possibly true. Depends on the player.

Special teams players both. Gunter had his moments - unfortunately not enough of them for him to be a starting CB.

The big point I’m trying to make is he wasn’t really bad. He was a replacement level guy. The difference between Williams and Burnett/Reid (both graded 66 vs Williams 63) was minimal. Yeah he  wasn’t nick collins but he wasn’t a complete  hole. That is how most stop gap fas are.

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

How do you know this?  He might have been screwing up a lot.  What other reason could there be to cause us to ship his fanny out of town unless he too was a malcontent in the locker room?  And if he too was a malcontent then thank god McCarthy and most of his staff are gone.  It may be no coincidence we had at least 3 guys - along with Rodgers - that we know of that were unhappy last season on that team.  

Man's got a Poly-Sci degree from Standard. 

If anything he's probably too smart for his own good.

Archived