Daniel Jeremiah's Mock #1

goldfishwars

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Curious as to why you go this direction? I think he's a possible selection, for sure, but I get curious when people make the selection as to why. The 49ers desperately need edge help, but are pretty okay on the interior with Buckner. If Allen is worth #3 overall, he's surely worth #3, so why do you go Williams? Is there just that big of a gap between them at 2 and 3 in your evaluations that makes it difficult to pass up BPA for need? 

Depends on what they want to be, a 3/4 defense or a 4/3 defense.  If going to more of a 3/4 the combo of Buckner, Armstead and possibly Quinnen Williams in the middle would be crazy impressive to me.  Sure Josh Allen makes sense as well but only again if they are going in a 3/4, not sure he would be as good in a standard 4/3 defense as a OLB but could potentially.

With the Reuben Foster disaster they could easily go with Devin White as well and I could see them going for White over Allen possibly.  It was a very quick look at it and by quick I mean quick.  Sure when I look back at it later could change but most of it was based off my original rankings through 7 rounds and the top guys I have in that.  In terms of the original mock posted, Gary being picked there makes much less sense for the 49ers to me than Williams.  Williams has played DT and or NT in a 3/4, Gary has basically been an edge guy and is probably not the best pure DE at that spot anyway.  If they are going for a 4/3 defense then yes he could maybe be better than the likes of Solomon Thomas but not sure they give up on him just yet.

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Depends on what they want to be, a 3/4 defense or a 4/3 defense.  If going to more of a 3/4 the combo of Buckner, Armstead and possibly Quinnen Williams in the middle would be crazy impressive to me.  Sure Josh Allen makes sense as well but only again if they are going in a 3/4, not sure he would be as good in a standard 4/3 defense as a OLB but could potentially.

With the Reuben Foster disaster they could easily go with Devin White as well and I could see them going for White over Allen possibly.  It was a very quick look at it and by quick I mean quick.  Sure when I look back at it later could change but most of it was based off my original rankings through 7 rounds and the top guys I have in that.  In terms of the original mock posted, Gary being picked there makes much less sense for the 49ers to me than Williams.  Williams has played DT and or NT in a 3/4, Gary has basically been an edge guy and is probably not the best pure DE at that spot anyway.  If they are going for a 4/3 defense then yes he could maybe be better than the likes of Solomon Thomas but not sure they give up on him just yet.

Gotcha. We run a 4-3 under. I don't hate Williams, but I get curious when people use him in our spot to know whether it's just a player eval thing. Obviously if someone thinks Williams is simply that good, it's hard to pass him up even if he doesn't fill the biggest need. 

Yeah, I don't like the Gary pick at all and don't know how that works for the 49ers. I know Gary has his supporters, but #2 for us doesn't make a ton of sense given that he hasn't proven to be a consistent finisher and we really need a finisher on the edge. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Does Miami dislike Tannehill that much with time still left on this contract?  Still say if they want a QB trading down a little bit in the 1st would be a good idea.  

Tannehill's main problem is he takes too many sacks and the interior OL was on IR all season. He's a guy that needs good protection to play well - And when he does gets that protection, he really lights it up, so I think another team may have some success with him. He's really a QB that reflects the rest of your offense's talent, not one that elevates the offense. He's had his moments, though, which is why he'd been frustrating for Dolphins fans. He's always this close to breaking out.

I think Miami blows the team up, and cutting Tannehill saves 13M. Rumor is management really likes Luke Falk who we picked up then was put on IR. Miami's biggest problem is in the trenches, which they're expected to rebuild in this coming draft. 

4 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

Tannehill's main problem is he takes too many sacks and the interior OL was on IR all season. He's a guy that needs good protection to play well - And when he does gets that protection, he really lights it up, so I think another team may have some success with him. He's really a QB that reflects the rest of your offense's talent, not one that elevates the offense. He's had his moments, though, which is why he'd been frustrating for Dolphins fans. He's always this close to breaking out.

I think Miami blows the team up, and cutting Tannehill saves 13M. Rumor is management really likes Luke Falk who we picked up then was put on IR. Miami's biggest problem is in the trenches, which they're expected to rebuild in this coming draft. 

That makes a lot of sense going interior OL potentially.  Say they do gamble and go with Murray for the wow factor.  They could get some legit guards in the 2nd or 3rd no doubt, Ivey, Herbig, McGovern, Bars, Benzschawel, Pierschbacher, Samia, Dieter etc.  Then with  McCoy, McGovern and Pierschbacher could be a center as well so good value there.  A ton of depth at OG I feel, guys like Zach Bailey are underrated and same with Bunchy Stallings or even McNeil.  Heck a guy like Javon Patterson might not even be drafted.  And there are a few OTs that I fell are guards I did not include but the obvious to me are Risner and Ivey.

Dalton Risner Kansas State RS
Martez Ivey Florida
Nate Herbig Stanford OG JR 
Connor McGovern Penn State JR
Alex Bars Notre Dame
Beau Benzschawel Wisconsin RS
Ross Pierschbacher Alabama RS
Dru Samia Oklahoma
Michael Dieter Wisconsin RS
Erik McCoy Texas A&M RS JR
Yosuah Nijman Virgina Tech
Terronne Prescod NC State
Michael Jordan Ohio State JR
Chris Brown USC RS
Zack Bailey South Carolina
Ben Powers Oklahoma
Patrick Vahe Texas
Garrett Brumfield LSU
Donnell Stanley South Carolina RS
Bunchy Stallings Kentucky RS
Abdul Beecham Kansas State
George Asafo-Adjei Kentucky
Brandon Fanaika Stanford RS
Lukayus McNeil Louisville
Lester Cotton Alabama
Javon Patterson Ole Miss
Jerald Foster Nebraska RS
Nick Linder Indiana RS
Chasz Wright Penn State RS

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

That makes a lot of sense going interior OL potentially.  Say they do gamble and go with Murray for the wow factor.  They could get some legit guards in the 2nd or 3rd no doubt, Ivey, Herbig, McGovern, Bars, Benzschawel, Pierschbacher, Samia, Dieter etc.  Then with  McCoy, McGovern and Pierschbacher could be a center as well so good value there.  A ton of depth at OG I feel, guys like Zach Bailey are underrated and same with Bunchy Stallings or even McNeil.  Heck a guy like Javon Patterson might not even be drafted.  And there are a few OTs that I fell are guards I did not include but the obvious to me are Risner and Ivey.

I'd take 2 iOL in Round 2 thru Round 4, definitely. Here's our staring iOL situation:

LG - Josh Sitton, IR'd.............a good LG but 32-yo and a FA after next season. 5M in savings if cut.

OC - Daniel Kilgore, IR'd.........31-yo, average player on a cheap contract, a FA after the 2020 season.

RG - Jesse Davis...................27-yo bounced around UDFA we signed up a couple year ago who'll be a FA after the season. Should ideally be a backup OT/OG 

I'd like to see what type of offense we're running when our new staff gets hired. 

On 1/18/2019 at 5:45 PM, Ozzy said:

Agreed, that would be a sin to not have him in the 1st round.

Why in the bloody hell would Dexter Lawrence be so low?  Because of taking a PED?  Yeah right, once more it is not like the kid smocked crack cocaine or something.

Would love to see Dillard that high but I doubt it, plays in that odd offensive line system at Washington State that is hard to translate to the NFL.  Would be cool to see no doubt but doubt it happens.  

As for Jacobs being top 5, Saquon Barkley, Leonard Fournette, Ezekiel Elliott the most recent RBs going top 5 and Jacobs is not anywhere close to the likes of Barkley and Elliott in terms of top end talent.  Sure he is an all around back and was under used at times on Bama but not sure he is this All Pro type talent.

Also I do not see the Gary love, the guy had a poor year this season and was injured on and off.  No way he is better than Quinnen Williams and not sure he is even that great of a edge rusher.  Could argue Brian Burns is a better edge rusher, Gary is kind of a inbetween possibly star DT but not sure he could play it, or impressive 3/4 DE but again not sure he could play it.  Maybe it was just the injury that made him so ehhh this season.

Dalton Risner is a 1st round talent I feel, same with Greg Little.  And Julian Love should be a 1st round pick as well and is better than Mullen by far.  Lack of Taylor Rapp being included is odd no doubt, Thompson makes sense with how bad he played in the title game but Rapp is a pure coverage safety who can do a crazy amount of things on the football thing, is a 1st round pick all the way.

Daniel Jones I like but not at that high of a selection, if someone picks him that high and has big time expectations for him instantly they will be possibly disappointed.

Adderley that would be super cool to see but only way that happens if he just blows up at the combine and runs close to a 4.3 40 or something.  Sweet prospect and again would be great to see him in the 1st round out of Delware but he has some work to do before that happens.  

I want adderley with the packers pick at 12. 

14 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Tannehill is an interesting potential pivot point for this draft, in what the Dolphins do with him.  I can see why the Dolphins would move on, because heading into a blow it up rebuild they may as well look for someone better for the future and save some money in the process.  He's not taking the Dolphins anywhere right now, and he's already like 30 and ticking on upward from there.  He's not the future.  What's the harm in saving a ton of cap space, and trying something else while you're probably tanking out anyway?

But i can also see him as interesting fit for a team with a lot of pieces in place, looking for that "decent" QB who can play up to the talent around them and nothing more.  Like the Jaguars.  They could use a potential "rich man's Bortles".

Incidentally, getting a QB like Tannehill in FA might be a big difference in how aggressively the Jaguars pursue a QB at the top-end of the draft.  So in the end, it'd probably balance out in terms of teams going QB in the 7-15 range if it played out that way, but might shuffle some things around anyway.

Getting a QB like Tannehill in FA is also probably one of the only situations i can see them actually spending their 7th pick on a DT as this mock has them doing though.  After Taven Bryan last year.  If they get a QB in FA though...who knows.  Calais Campbell isn't young, and Malik Jackson is gone...i could see them grabbing a DE/DT hybrid guy to keep that position stocked.  I'd wager on Ed Oliver instead though.  Or just...bolstering that OLine to help a FA QB like Tannehill.

Would be kinda weird to see the Dolphins bail on Tannehill, only to draft Daniel Jones that high though.  I feel like they're actually pretty similar and comparable.  Though obviously you're turning the clock back a lot of years with a guy like Jones.  Which probably suits the timeline the Dolphins are looking at a lot better.

47 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Tannehill is an interesting potential pivot point for this draft, in what the Dolphins do with him.  I can see why the Dolphins would move on, because heading into a blow it up rebuild they may as well look for someone better for the future and save some money in the process.  He's not taking the Dolphins anywhere right now, and he's already like 30 and ticking on upward from there.  He's not the future.  What's the harm in saving a ton of cap space, and trying something else while you're probably tanking out anyway?

But i can also see him as interesting fit for a team with a lot of pieces in place, looking for that "decent" QB who can play up to the talent around them and nothing more.  Like the Jaguars.  They could use a potential "rich man's Bortles".

Incidentally, getting a QB like Tannehill in FA might be a big difference in how aggressively the Jaguars pursue a QB at the top-end of the draft.  So in the end, it'd probably balance out in terms of teams going QB in the 7-15 range if it played out that way, but might shuffle some things around anyway.

Getting a QB like Tannehill in FA is also probably one of the only situations i can see them actually spending their 7th pick on a DT as this mock has them doing though.  After Taven Bryan last year.  If they get a QB in FA though...who knows.  Calais Campbell isn't young, and Malik Jackson is gone...i could see them grabbing a DE/DT hybrid guy to keep that position stocked.  I'd wager on Ed Oliver instead though.  Or just...bolstering that OLine to help a FA QB like Tannehill.

Would be kinda weird to see the Dolphins bail on Tannehill, only to draft Daniel Jones that high though.  I feel like they're actually pretty similar and comparable.  Though obviously you're turning the clock back a lot of years with a guy like Jones.  Which probably suits the timeline the Dolphins are looking at a lot better.

Yeah it's a weird one with Miami. It looks like they've called time on their starting QB, whilst not having the draft capital to get a new one. They don't have the tradeable roster talent to help create it and they have plenty of holes elswhere that need addressing asap. Available veterans seem to have better options elsewhere. That might lead them to a Jones, or maybe they just take a flyer on a mid round guy in a hope to catch lightning in a bottle. At least then if thay fails, they can shore up other spots until next year. 

Archived