2019 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting SLB

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting OLB position?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting OLB position?

• Re-sign Anthony Barr
    • Sign an external free agent (state preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting LB (state preference in thread)
    • Promote Eric Wilson
    • Promote Ben Gedeon
    • Other (specify preference in thread)

We did this last a couple of years ago, I think it's time to drag it back up to evaluate where the Vikings go from here, so they can make a triumphant return to the playoffs next year.  Let's move on to the starting OLB position...

2018 depth at the position:  Anthony Barr, Ben Gedeon, Eric Wilson, Reshard Cliett (PS)

2019 Outgoing Free Agents: Anthony Barr

Potential Free Agents Available: Thomas Davis, K.J. Wright, Vincent Rey, Eli Harold, Cameron Lynch, Damien Wilson

Potential Draftees:  Devin White (LSU), Joe Giles-Harris (Duke), Paddy Fisher (Northwestern), Te'von Coney (Notre Dame), Josh Allen (Kentucky)

What should the Vikings do to improve this position?  Sign a free agent, Draft a replacement, or Promote from Within?  

Just don't have money in the budget to spend like that on an OLB. Wilson showed he can competently handle the job. Hand it to him going into the draft. If there is a guy in the draft in the second round or later that the team feels can compete with Wilson for the starting job they should pull the trigger if that guy is the BPA at the time. If nothing else, the team'll need depth.

It will be sad to see Barr go, but I simply can't justify spending on two high priced LBers given the needs other places on the team coupled with lack of alternative sources to fund the acquisitions to fill those holes. The team already was able to get Kendricks signed so that is who they should roll with along with the guys on rookie contracts and possibly a low-end free agent that comes in for less than $3M for the year.

59 minutes ago, Boda said:

Re-sign Barr.  No player on this roster can do what he does & if we lose him expect our Defense to take a major hit.

What does he do? I don't think I have seen him anything since that walkoff strip fumble recovery TD 

2 hours ago, Boda said:

Re-sign Barr.  No player on this roster can do what he does & if we lose him expect our Defense to take a major hit.

What does Barr do that is so special? 

He does his job well, but he’s not a play maker. And if he’s not a playmaker, he’s not worth a top 3 OLB contract. 

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

What does Barr do that is so special? 

He does his job well, but he’s not a play maker. And if he’s not a playmaker, he’s not worth a top 3 OLB contract. 

Barr is a versatile player. Certainly not easy finding big guys who are that athletic but I don't think it's a necessity to need that.

Barr needs to go, he is average right across the board and doesn't do anything extremely well. His size and athleticism scream star player but his desire screams something else. I don't think what he bring to the table at this point is worthy of a big pay day nor do I believe he would be that hard to replace.

I say this as a big fan who has his jersey.

You could add C.J. Mosley to the list of potential free agents, Baltimore hasn't exactly made it a habit of retains their top free agents. 

I don't know if him or Kendricks could handle the outside but he is a much more instinctual player then Barr and is probably seeking a similar contract to what Barr is seeking.

Archived