AFC Championship: New England Patriots at Kansas City Chiefs

Elky

On 23/01/2019 at 12:21 AM, DoleINGout said:

Those numbers are okay but I remember he threw a few terrible passes that were dropped. Gimme's. But I don't really think Rivera or anyone owns TB.

And the INT was because of this:

les.jpg

EDIT:  A little bitter window into history - if that DPI is called, the Patriots get first and goal at the 1 with a few seconds left needing a TD to win. If they win, they go 13-3, not 12-4, get the 1 seed thanks to the h2h tie-break with Denver, and the AFCCG is in Foxboro that year. It's crazy, but for a twist of fate here and there the Pats could be in their 6th consecutive SB.

Re-watching the game and it's clear now that Brady knew he had a free play on the offside call. The flag was immediately thrown and Brady saw it as he looked briefly to the left side. Once the flag was thrown he was looking at Gronk and hoping he would make YAC. It think we can end the discussion that Dee Ford lost the game for KC. Critical mistake but impossible to know where Brady throws if Ford is not offside. He clearly saw it.

@ChazStandard that is just one particular play. I tink there were two or three really close INT's missed by the Panthers last season. In the game you're referencing, I don't remember Brady struggling terribly nor dominating either. Rivera was also on the Chargers back in the Shaun Phillips/Shawne Merriman days when Brady had a few tough outings. All of these instances combined is what made me consider Rivera in the first place.

31 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

@ChazStandard that is just one particular play. I tink there were two or three really close INT's missed by the Panthers last season. In the game you're referencing, I don't remember Brady struggling terribly nor dominating either. Rivera was also on the Chargers back in the Shaun Phillips/Shawne Merriman days when Brady had a few tough outings. All of these instances combined is what made me consider Rivera in the first place.

Bears 2006- 2 interceptions, 5 pass deflections, sacked twice and hit 3 times. Rivera is DC. Patriots won 17-13.

Chargers 2007- 1 interception & 2 deflections in regular season, (Pats won 38-14). 3 INT's and 5 pass deflections more in AFC Championship against Chargers, (Pats won 21-12). Rivera is LB coach, sacked Brady 4 times and hit him 7 times combined.

Chargers 2010- sacked four times, only 19 completions for 159 yards and a touchdown. Rivra is DC, Patriots won 23-20.

Panthers 2013- intercepted, 3 pass deflections, sacked twice and hit 6 times. Patriots lost 20-24.

Panthers 2017- 3 pass deflections, 7 QB hits, sacked 3 times. Patriots lost 30-33.

Nobody owns Brady but Rivera consistently plays him tough.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

When Reche Caldwell is your number one target, Im not sure you can credit the opposing DC IMO

Credit to each. Other than the Broncos (7), Jets (14) and Dolphins (0), the Bears (17) allowed the fewest points to the Patriots in 2006. The Pats averaged 30 PPG outside of those four games including their three playoff games with scores of 37, 24, and 34. Adding the Broncos (7), Jets (14), Bears (17), and Dolphins (0) games into the average, in 2006 the Patriots scored 25 PPG with Tom Brady, Corey Dillon, Ben Watson, Daniel Graham, Laurence Maroney, Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown, and Kevin Faulk. The Jets, Dolphins and Broncos were/are more familiar with the Patriots too don't forget, which adds credibility to the Bears defense IMO.

Archived