Rams vs Saints - part II

Webmaster

18 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

That only occurred when Cox and Bennett were on the sidelines. Wasn't remotely  the case when in the game, let alone on the field together.

Rams do suck against  the run though so that should  be the game plan.

just stopped the #1 rusher in the NFL. ???

That's because  you were playing against  Dak with absolutely no fear of him beating you through the air because  he sucks. No way you can claim the same thing vs Brees.

I'm not suggesting they will run it down your throats for 200+ but the Cowboys game was an outlier, not the norm. The Rams have been horrible  against the run, those are the facts.

In the first game the Rams made some silly mistakes early, like Goff throwing an interception right before the half that lead to a new Orleans touchdown. 

I don't think that happens again unfortunately. 

I think it will be a lower scoring game than people think. Rams 27-saints 22

How do the Saints approach this game knowing that CJ Anderson has been pretty amazing in his short time with the Rams and they will get a heavy dose of Todd Gurley?  The Saints didn't face much of a rushing attack vs the Eagles last week due to them not having an impactful running back.  Do the Saints pack 8 or 9 defenders in the box and force Goff to beat them through the air or do they play an 'honest' defense and try to stop both the run and pass.

I got the Rams winning 30-27.

Things to watch for are these:

1) Talib v Thomas - Talib is better equip to defend Thomas because he is vet, used to covering the opposing teams best player like he did Gronk in 2016 when the Broncos beat the Pats in the AFCCG. Talib is a better tackler so Thomas wont rack up all those yac yards. Talib is a better man-to-man guy where as Peters is a much better zone cover guy that free lances. Also Talib is big a physical. We saw last season Johnson defend Thomas and held him to 5 catches for 53yds and no tds. Talib is a better player than Johnson. So I think Talib can neutralize Thomas.

2) Rams rushing offense v Saints rushing defense - The Rams are the 3rd best rushing offense in the NFL. Since Anderson was signed, the Rams are running the ball nearly 44 times per game. The Saints just lost Rankins which is their best run defender. I want to know how the Saints do against a great run offense when their best run defender is not there. Last season people made a big deal about Lattimore and Crawley not playing and how it would effect them trying to cover Watkins and Kupp. It was a difference as Kupp had a big day, Watkins made some plays, even Reynolds had a td. This game its the Saints not having a big impact player when they have to face a fresh, health, and strength of the Rams which are Gurley and Anderson. We could see similar results as last season except it wont be through the air but on the ground. 

3) Ndamukong Suh - There is a theory going out that Suh didnt play his best all season long because he knew the Rams would make the playoffs so he was saving his body and best efforts for the playoffs when it matters the most. I dont fully buy it but I can see why people have that theory. He turned it up so much against the Cowboys that if he plays like that and you get Donald playing at a high level, nobody is going to run the ball on the Rams. The Saints are going to have to double Donald. If Suh plays like a mad man he is going to chew up any single block he gets. Ingram and Kamara is going to be hit in the backfield as soon as they touch the ball. That will then force the Saints to throw alot. I cant tell you specifically each of the past Rams wins over the Saints what their passing/rushing attempts were. All I know is when the Rams have beaten the Saints in the Payton/Brees era, the Saints have thrown the ball way too many times and didnt attack the Rams on the ground enough. If thats the case again this time, the results will be again the Rams coming away with a win. The Saints have to be at least balanced but if Suh shows up like he did against Dallas or at least play like we know he is capable of playing, its going to be hard for the Saints to stick with running the ball and that could hurt the Saints not being balanced because the Rams want to rush the passer period. Not to mention the Rams are 1st in the NFL in pressuring the QB which has led to them being 3rd in the NFL in interceptions, tied for 4th in the NFL in fumbles, and 3rd overall in the NFL in takeaways. So if the Saints have to throw alot and not have that balance its going to benefit the Rams to have their chances to force a few mistakes even against the great Drew Brees. 

@Nabbs4u, yes, our run defense sucks. However, a big reason why we were a lot better against Dallas was the improved play by our DLs not named Donald. Suh and Brockers had strong performances for the first time in awhile. If those guys have woken up, we will defend the run better. I'm not saying we shut NO down. But we won't be a sieve, hopefully.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

@Nabbs4u, yes, our run defense sucks. However, a big reason why we were a lot better against Dallas was the improved play by our DLs not named Donald. Suh and Brockers had strong performances for the first time in awhile. If those guys have woken up, we will defend the run better. I'm not saying we shut NO down. But we won't be a sieve, hopefully.

One can hope. Just think it had more to do with playing Dak, then Brees. That's all. It's like a Preschooler  and a Professor. One you dont have to worry about so taking away Zeke, becomes 1st and foremost on the agenda. That's all I was eluding to.

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

One can hope. Just think it had more to do with playing Dak, then Brees. That's all. It's like a Preschooler  and a Professor. One you dont have to worry about so taking away Zeke, becomes 1st and foremost on the agenda. That's all I was eluding to.

I agree that made a difference. We sold out to stop Zeke. Even Donald wasn't playing as aggressively. We can't do that against Brees. But if Suh and Brockers show up like they did against Dallas, it'll allow us to be serviceable.

I think it will be much lower scoring than the first matchup, maybe something like 27-24

The Saints are just not a dynamic offense anymore (compared to 6-8 weeks ago)

• They scored 30+ in 9 of their first 11 games and in just 1 of their last 6.
  • Having Talib to cover Thomas sometimes instead of the biggest boom/bust corner in the NFL should be a better match up.

The Rams are not the same offense without Cupp as their 4th option.

• Their running game has been hot lately, so I expect both teams to have a few more ball control drives.

Archived