Mahomes is gonna be a $200M QB

bucsfan333

Pay that man lol. He is the future of the NFL. The Chiefs dont have a window because Mahomes is the window. The Chiefs will go as far as Mahomes will take them. If Watson is the Jordan of the NFL then Mahomes is the LeBron of the NFL. So I have no problem with the Chiefs throwing all that cash at Mahomes. Now Im always going to stand by saying Mahomes only has one year of production but just strictly looking at the talent and projecting it forward, barring terrible injuries, Mahomes is the Chiefs plain and simple so pay the man. 

26 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

So the Chiefs have a 1 year window after this year. Got it.

Matt Ryan signed for $30M a year when the salary cap was $177M a year. That's 16.95% of the cap that year which is how contracts should be measured. I did a post before about how top QB's signing for over 15% isn't uncommon but I'm not gonna find it right now. Rodgers' $33.5M a year is 18.93% btw.

It's completely reasonable to assume that the 2020 NFL salary cap will be around about $200M, especially after looking at how it's risen recently.

If Mahomes has another great (not elite like 2018) year in 2019, it's not unreasonable that he could demand $35M a year which would be 17.5% of a $200M cap.

$35M a year over 6 years is $210M.

10 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Matt Ryan signed for $30M a year when the salary cap was $177M a year. That's 16.95% of the cap that year which is how contracts should be measured. I did a post before about how top QB's signing for over 15% isn't uncommon but I'm not gonna find it right now. Rodgers' $33.5M a year is 18.93% btw.

It's completely reasonable to assume that the 2020 NFL salary cap will be around about $200M, especially after looking at how it's risen recently.

If Mahomes has another great (not elite like 2018) year in 2019, it's not unreasonable that he could demand $35M a year which would be 17.5% of a $200M cap.

$35M a year over 6 years is $210M.

I get your point here and would be okay with it when looking at it from that aspect. However, the problem isn't that Mahomes will be making about the same % as others. The problem is that it will likely not stop there and this will only be used to set a market value for other QB's who receive an extension around the same time or thereafter. I mean, we're looking at the possibility of QB's such as Watson and Mitch getting $38 a year.

Not that I think it will ever happen but at some point I wish they would put a cap on QB contracts.

15 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Nice timing Shefter.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. Great but inexperienced QB playing the biggest game of his young career against a team nobody wants to face in the playoffs.

lets get him thinking about $200m just a few hours before kickoff.

BB paid for that one lmao 

Archived