Tomlin All the Way

Money

2nd overall pick - Belongs to SF 49ers

** SF trades 2nd overall to PIT for Antonio Brown. 2019 2ND. Conditional 2020 2nd

*ACQUIRE CONDITIONAL PICK IF BROWN IS NOT ON ROSTER

** PIT trades 2nd overall pick to DEN for 10th overall pick. DEN 2nd. DEN 3rd. DEN 2020 1st

3rd overall pick - Belongs to New York Jets. Bell is franchise tagged again and traded.

** NYJ - receive Le’Veon Bell and the 10th overall pick from PIT for NYJ 3rd overall pick.

** PIT trades 3rd overall and Bud Dupree to IND for 2019 1st, 26th overall. 2019 2nd, 34th overall. IND 3rd. IND 2020 1st

7th overall pick - Belongs to JAX

** JAX trades Jalen Ramsey. 2019 1st, 7th overall. JAX 3rd to PIT for 2019 1st, 20th overall, Artie Burns, and Ben Roethlisberger

10th overall pick - Belongs to DEN

DEN - Pick used to draft a QB. 

** Pick now Belongs to Jets

David DeCastro in exchange for SF 49ers 2nd rd pick, 35th overall

** PIT trades 2019 1st, 26th overall plus and Stephon Tuitt to CLE for 2019 1st, 17th overall

If you choose the life of dysfunction, then you must lose good players in the locker room as well. Because you don't support quality teammates. You support dysfunction. So, therefore, good teammates throws off the balance in the locker room.  

1. Arizona - NICK BOSA DE OHIO STATE

2. Denver - KYLER MURRAY QB OKLAHOMA 

3. Indianapolis - ED OLIVER DT HOUSTON

4. Oakland - RASHAN GARY DT MICHIGAN

5. Tampa Bay - DWAYNE HASKINS QB OHIO STATE

6. New York Giants - DANIEL JONES QB DUKE

7. Pittsbugh - DEVIN WHITE LB LSU

8. Detroit - JOSH ALLEN DE KENTUCKY

9. Buffalo - QUINNEN WILLIAMS DT ALABAMA

10. New York Jets - AJ BROWN WR MISSISSIPPI

11. Cincinnati - JARRETT STIDHAM QB AUBURN

12. Green Bay - BRIAN BURNS DE FLORIDA STATE

13. Miami - CLELIN FERRELL DT CLEMSON

14.  Atlanta - JONAH WILLIAMS OT ALABAMA

15. Washington - DREW LOCK QB MISSOURI

16. Carolina - JEFFREY SIMMONDS DT MISSISSIPPI STATE

17. Pittsburgh - DARELL HENDERSON RB MEMPHIS

18.  Minnesota - GREG LITTLE OT MISSISSIPPI

19. Tennessee - JACHAI POLITE DE FLORIDA

20. Pittsburgh - NOAH FANT TE IOWA

* JAX receives 34th and 41st picks in exchange for 20th, 93rd, 102th

34. Jacksonville - HOLLYWOOD BROWN WR OKLAHOMA

35. Pittsburgh – HAKEEM BUTLER WR IOWA STATE

69. Pittsburgh – OSHANE XIMINES OLB OLD DOMINION

71. Pittsburgh – JOEJUAN WILLIAMS CB VANDY

83. Pittsburgh – JAQUAN JOHNSON S MIAMI FL

93. Pittsburgh - DIONTAE JOHNSON WR TOLEDO

102. Pittsburgh - SUTTON SMITH OLB NORTHERN ILLINOIS

115. Pittsburgh - BENNY SNELL JR RB KENTUCKY

161. Pittsburgh - RASHARD LAWRENCE DT LSU

164. Pittsburgh - MITCH WISHNOWSKY P UTAH

183. Pittsburgh -  MECOLE HARDMAN WR/KR

THREE FIRST ROUND PICKS IN 2020. A QB HEAVY DRAFT. THIS IS A TWO YEAR REBUILD.

Chrissyororke's 5 Step Plan for Making a Mock Draft...

1.  Huff as much glue as possible.  Paint is an acceptable substitute.  Brain cells are not required for what's coming next.

2.  Trade away as many players as possible...star players included.  Trades dont need to make sense to anyone but you.

3.  Stockpile as many draft picks as possible.

4.  After the draft, if your team isn't comprised of 75% rookies and 90% first contract players, restart from step 1.

5.  Act like you are on a higher level of understanding than everyone else who points out how terrible your mocks are.  The only validation you need is your own, and the leprechaun that shows up after huffing enough glue.

P.S....

Yes, we are going to trade Brown for being a diva and locker room disturbance, then turn around and trade for Jalen Ramsey.

Have you ever even attempted to use logic?

2 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

What were your thoughts on Cowher during his career?

i thought he underachieved some in the playoff too and wanted him to draft a franchise qb 

he underachieved but nowhere near what tomlin has with the loaded talent he was given 

7 minutes ago, muncher said:

i thought he underachieved some in the playoff too and wanted him to draft a franchise qb 

he underachieved but nowhere near what tomlin has with the loaded talent he was given 

Cowher had MUCH more talent on defense during his time here, but sure, talent levels blah blah blah fire Tomlin.

46 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Cowher had MUCH more talent on defense during his time here, but sure, talent levels blah blah blah fire Tomlin.

I'm not sure that is true. First off, the rules were much different back then. So overall, a good defense could actually compete week to week. 2nd, aside from a few standout players, the D was one of the few in the league playing 3-4 at that time. I think scheme had a lot to do with the success team had.

In terms of Cowher versus Tomiln, Ben put Cowher over the top after a long career of playoff failures. Tomlin started off with Ben and playoff success for a few years (with a lot of Cowher players). Since 2010 tho, it has been a lot of playoff failures.

I'm not a fire Tomlin now guy. Mainly because I am not sure who they'd hire to replace him, and I'm not sure how long Ben is going to play. That said, I am tired of the team losing to the crappy teams in the NFL, or barely beating them. There seems to be a real cultural problem with this team. I do think when Ben goes, Tomlin should go too.

7 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

I'm not sure that is true. First off, the rules were much different back then. So overall, a good defense could actually compete week to week. 2nd, aside from a few standout players, the D was one of the few in the league playing 3-4 at that time. I think scheme had a lot to do with the success team had.

In terms of Cowher versus Tomiln, Ben put Cowher over the top after a long career of playoff failures. Tomlin started off with Ben and playoff success for a few years (with a lot of Cowher players). Since 2010 tho, it has been a lot of playoff failures.

I'm not a fire Tomlin now guy. Mainly because I am not sure who they'd hire to replace him, and I'm not sure how long Ben is going to play. That said, I am tired of the team losing to the crappy teams in the NFL, or barely beating them. There seems to be a real cultural problem with this team. I do think when Ben goes, Tomlin should go too.

The benefit of running the 3-4 wasn't so much that you could run the scheme with less talent, it was that they were able to get better talent for the scheme because not as many teams were looking for the same types of players. It makes the process easier on the GM moreso than coaches. The defenses that Cowher had were unquestionably more talented than what Tomlin has had.

You also mention Ben pushing Cowher over the top, but that is also a small sample size. Cowher also had the benefit of having a franchise QB during his rookie contract, which is a known benefit now moreso than previously. With Ben being paid like a top QB now, there is less money to put toward other positions (partially why the defense lacks talent).

As far as the culture of the team thing, a few trouble makers don't sum up the locker room. Bell and Brown are the only players that seem to be a problem (unless you're counting Ben due to the perceived throwing players under the bus, etc.) and they may have been a problem no matter who you had coaching them. We actually have quite a few more good locker room type guys than problems. Who else aside from Brown and Bell (and Martavis recently) have had known problems?

1 hour ago, skywlker32 said:

The benefit of running the 3-4 wasn't so much that you could run the scheme with less talent, it was that they were able to get better talent for the scheme because not as many teams were looking for the same types of players. It makes the process easier on the GM moreso than coaches. The defenses that Cowher had were unquestionably more talented than what Tomlin has had.

You also mention Ben pushing Cowher over the top, but that is also a small sample size. Cowher also had the benefit of having a franchise QB during his rookie contract, which is a known benefit now moreso than previously. With Ben being paid like a top QB now, there is less money to put toward other positions (partially why the defense lacks talent).

As far as the culture of the team thing, a few trouble makers don't sum up the locker room. Bell and Brown are the only players that seem to be a problem (unless you're counting Ben due to the perceived throwing players under the bus, etc.) and they may have been a problem no matter who you had coaching them. We actually have quite a few more good locker room type guys than problems. Who else aside from Brown and Bell (and Martavis recently) have had known problems?

Good points, but Cowher had little if any problem players at all that I recall. Maybe that is rose-colored glasses on my part or maybe just lack of social media back in the day, but he had solid lockerroom guys that helped him run the team. The culture of the team was better. It was tighter. Seems to me their problem was taking their opponents for granted and just not playing up to their abilities in the big playoff games.

Ben was on a rookie deal, but it is not the same as it is now. He had very good rookie contract, and they had plenty of players making a lot of money. The Steelers are historically right up against the cap every year.  And when I say culture, I mean what happened to a guy like James Harrison. He was a former leader of this team, but rather than just cut him lose if they weren't going to play him, he was allowed to be a disruptive influence. Bell and Brown (and likely others) took note. Sure there are team guys, there always are. But man, this team seems to just be disintegrating.

Time and time again this team plays down to competition. Losing to Denver and Oakland this year is inexcusable. Dumb penalties, turnovers, and just flat out being out of position. Past years under Tomlin are no different. 13-3 last year was a bit of a fluke with Boz being lights out, but he had an off year this year. Games versus a lot of those teams should not be that close. That's the culture I'm talking about. How many years now have the Steelers under Tomlin lost to sub .500 teams or either just beat them on last second heroics?

Anyway, looking back at Cowher's career, he assembled really good teams (minus a QB) in the early to mid 90's, and only went to one SB. By the time he won the SB in 04/05, that D was not much better than the team that lost to Green Bay in 2010.  The main difference now is there are few if any real superstar playmakers like Troy or Harrison. TJ Watt is really good for example, and so is Joe Haden, but the way they've changed the rules so much in favor of the offense, it's hard to say if you can find a real playmaker on D anymore.

7 hours ago, cjfollett said:

Good points, but Cowher had little if any problem players at all that I recall. Maybe that is rose-colored glasses on my part or maybe just lack of social media back in the day, but he had solid lockerroom guys that helped him run the team. The culture of the team was better. It was tighter. Seems to me their problem was taking their opponents for granted and just not playing up to their abilities in the big playoff games.

Ben was on a rookie deal, but it is not the same as it is now. He had very good rookie contract, and they had plenty of players making a lot of money. The Steelers are historically right up against the cap every year.  And when I say culture, I mean what happened to a guy like James Harrison. He was a former leader of this team, but rather than just cut him lose if they weren't going to play him, he was allowed to be a disruptive influence. Bell and Brown (and likely others) took note. Sure there are team guys, there always are. But man, this team seems to just be disintegrating.

Time and time again this team plays down to competition. Losing to Denver and Oakland this year is inexcusable. Dumb penalties, turnovers, and just flat out being out of position. Past years under Tomlin are no different. 13-3 last year was a bit of a fluke with Boz being lights out, but he had an off year this year. Games versus a lot of those teams should not be that close. That's the culture I'm talking about. How many years now have the Steelers under Tomlin lost to sub .500 teams or either just beat them on last second heroics?

Anyway, looking back at Cowher's career, he assembled really good teams (minus a QB) in the early to mid 90's, and only went to one SB. By the time he won the SB in 04/05, that D was not much better than the team that lost to Green Bay in 2010.  The main difference now is there are few if any real superstar playmakers like Troy or Harrison. TJ Watt is really good for example, and so is Joe Haden, but the way they've changed the rules so much in favor of the offense, it's hard to say if you can find a real playmaker on D anymore.

Good, quality posts.

Just a few points to cover some things said....

1)  Tomlin has plenty of flaws.   Despite some clowns on here acting like they are enlightened in their blind hatred of him and we are all blind sheep following Tomlin just because we dont chant "FIRE HIM" over and over,  I am pretty sure most of us on here know that Tomlin has done his part to hold this team back.   Most of us arent against possibly moving on from Tomlin....we just dont blame him for every little thing....but I think you get that.

2) Cowher, despite the hindsight bias of some, had plenty of his own faults.    He played way too conservative at times, made many boneheaded decisions in games that cost us, and consistently failed to make QB a bigger priority.   In fact, if it were up to him, we may have drafted Shawn Andrews over Ben in 2004.    Cowher was a very good coach, but some act like he was much better than Tomlin when he really wasnt.   He had plenty of his own flaws.   If social media had existed in the same form back in 2000 after missing the playoffs 3 straight years, he wouldve gotten destroyed the same way Tomlin does now.

3) In regards to the defense, lets remember that, since the 90s and early 2000s, rules have been put in place to make it much harder on defenses.   Its much harder to build a great defense now than it was 20 years ago....especially since college doesnt produce nearly as much defensive talent either.   Beyond that, finding players for the 3-4 was much easier back then, since we were one of the only teams that ran it then....and again, colleges produced better 3-4 talent then.   You could find quality 3-4 OLBs and DEs in the mid rounds.

4) As you alluded to, yes, Cowher finally got over the hump after getting Ben, but he never had to run a team where a QB was taking up a huge amount of cap space.    Thats why we were regularly able to afford to keep top defensive players.  

5) As far as troubled players.....its a different time and a different team.     If Cowher had to deal with the same personalities and media frenzy Tomlin has to, we have no idea how he wouldve handled that.     Cowher stated in several interviews how much coaching stressed him out at times....can you imagine if Twitter and Facebook were around back then, or if the media blew everything out of proportion the same way they do now?

This isnt meant to bash Cowher or dismiss blame from Tomlin....but its extremely hard to compare them straight up since the league has changed so drastically.

Archived