Tomlin All the Way

Money

20 hours ago, muncher said:

#4, what top defensive players did we let walk away, with tomlin as HC, because of bens contract?

We would have had room to sign more free agents when we needed DBs, LBs, etc. The Steelers  don't make big splashes in FA, but they likely would have been looking at more FA with the extra cap room.

Alright I'll play ball what big time defensive players did we let walk away in order to give Ben Roethlisberger his contract? None.

Troy Polamalu when he with basically not brought back was on the last leg of his career I really just don't think that he could have kept going. Brett Keisel was kind of in that position in his career where he could have offered at something but I just felt like it was probably time for him to walk away and James Harrison While he did leave he didn't do so great with the Bangles nor did he do so great with the Patriots his loss to our team was not great. Honestly be on that maybe you can argue Keenan Lewis but I mean I don't think that's a great argument everyone else is either been just not very good or has retired. So I mean let's not sit here and try to blame Tomlin or Ben Roethlisberger's contract for the state of our defense that is not the issue. And with all due respect I don't give a crap what we have or have not done in free agency that isn't even the issue. The issue is that the Steelers have taken a certain approach in the draft when they select play that has simply not worked more on defense than anything. There has been some offense of players that have not worked out but honestly this team is pretty darn good add drafting offensive players. I'll go as far as to remind people that I said Jaylen Samuels wouldn't make the roster and I was wrong and he actually seems pretty darn good I don't think that he can ever be a feature back as a runner but he can run enough to matter on third down and he is a great receiver.

I mean I think we've done really good at receiver Martavis Bryant wasn't a bad receiver he was just a bonehead and didn't apply himself to developing better he had the talent and the capability of being a better receiver he just chose not to put in the effort. James Washington I don't think we'll ever be an All-Star receiver but I do believe he has full potential to be a really good receiver for our team and he's a good kid. I get that he was a second-round pick but you know what I personally don't have an issue with him taking a little more time to develop I like the way our receivers typically develop. The biggest? Perhaps offensively has been quarterbacks and the new big question is Mason Rudolph. But getting back on track here and getting away from the rabbit hole defensively we have not done spectacular in the draft I mean there is not a lot of argument you can make to suggest otherwise there just isn't if you look at the quality of our depth the quality of our starters in most positions we are just not that good and most of the guys that are on our team came from the draft. In many cases we've got guys in starting position it would only be backups on most other teams. That has nothing to do with Ben Roethlisberger contract you could if you want make an argument to blame Mike Tomlin for needing to do a better job in the draft or Kevin Colburn needing to do a better job in the draft but you cannot blame Ben Roethlisberger's contract on the state of our defense or whatever maybe I worded that wrong but you know what I'm saying. It's not a smart argument to make because it's not true

Archived