Was this the worst call in NFL history?

evilpimp972

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

It was still in reference to your conspiracy theories, son.

You guys were talking about your record with him even though the dude hadn’t even been in the NFL for 4 years or something. Go preset some excuses in the SB thread, see you there buddy.

No need. We've got Parry. That's a lucky draw for us. 

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

Glad you need the right ref crew to have a shot apparently. You’ll need all the help you can get :)

I'll take the help. What I've learned from the Patriots is that it doesn't matter how you get the win as long as you get the win. ;)

4 hours ago, Dome said:

FWIW the Saints player landing on the rams players head wasn’t a penalty nor should it have been. It was an accident and that’s made pretty clear if you watch the video and not just one screenshot... everyone popped right back up no hard feelings, the fact that it didn’t end in a scrum should tell you how rams players felt about it (they apparently didn’t feel any specific way about it)

posting a misleading screenshot of it now with no context is weak

Ehh...I saw it real time and thought there could have been a flag. Accidental or not, a large man jumping and landing with his weight on a players head, when the play was over.

Never really seen one like that so I don't have a comp

5 hours ago, Destructo Spin said:

The Saints are one of the least penalized teams in the league during the Payton/Brees era. This suggests that they simply don't do things technique-wise that results in penalties. I would never be surprised to hear the Saints have low penalty numbers in any given game, they are generally speaking a polished, fundamentally sounded team.

As far as "all the other blown calls" the refs appeared to be "letting them play" so to speak, and for every "blown call" you could find in favor of the Saints I am certain you could find one in favor for the Rams.

Rams and Saints were both called for the same number of penalties during the year.

Rams and Saints both got away with penalties in the game.

So the penalties should have been even then. Yet it was 7 for 64 to 3 for 20. If you dive into them that's what I have a problem with. Especially when you factor in what NO got away with, which is significant because in a game if this magnitude, there should not be that much of a disparity with obvious missed calls.

I realize the no call on the PI was bigger - that's why I think it evens out the officiating despite a difference of 4 penalties for 40 yards.

23 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Ehh...I saw it real time and thought there could have been a flag.

Did any of the Rams players who were actually on the field feel the same? I saw nobody react adversely to it, even the guy who got stepped on. Everyone just popped right back up and went on to the next play from what I remember.

That says everything about the play IMO... if it was dirty, cheap, malicious or flag worthy SOMONE on the field for the rams would’ve reacted to it. But I don’t remember that, I remember them helping their dude up and going to the next play. If a flag needed to be thrown or that was some cheap hit like people showing a screenshot are suggesting there would’ve been a bigger reaction to that play by the Rams players. 

17 minutes ago, Dome said:

Did any of the Rams players who were actually on the field feel the same? I saw nobody react adversely to it, even the guy who got stepped on. Everyone just popped right back up and went on to the next play from what I remember.

That says everything about the play IMO... if it was dirty, cheap, malicious or flag worthy SOMONE on the field for the rams would’ve reacted to it. But I don’t remember that, I remember them helping their dude up and going to the next play. If a flag needed to be thrown or that was some cheap hit like people showing a screenshot are suggesting there would’ve been a bigger reaction to that play by the Rams players. 

Did that incident not happen at the goalline though? 

If a Rams player reacts there, it could push them back to outside the 15. If you don’t see a flag on the field, there’s no point in reacting in that situation because it’ll only cost your team, especially in that situation.

There’s a time and a place for retaliating and it’s not inside the 5 in the fourth quarter of the NFCCG.

57 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Rams and Saints were both called for the same number of penalties during the year.

Rams and Saints both got away with penalties in the game.

So the penalties should have been even then. Yet it was 7 for 64 to 3 for 20. If you dive into them that's what I have a problem with. Especially when you factor in what NO got away with, which is significant because in a game if this magnitude, there should not be that much of a disparity with obvious missed calls.

I realize the no call on the PI was bigger - that's why I think it evens out the officiating despite a difference of 4 penalties for 40 yards.

It’s not gonna work like that.  Over time it should even out, but it’s not surprising to get heads 7 times out of ten coin flips.

19 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

If a Rams player reacts there, it could push them back to outside the 15. If you don’t see a flag on the field, there’s no point in reacting in that situation because it’ll only cost your team, especially in that situation.

There’s a time and a place for retaliating and it’s not inside the 5 in the fourth quarter of the NFCCG.

I haven’t seen the play, but If a team thinks a guy  is maliciously stomping on heads, they’re gonna retaliate regardless.

The only way the league saves any shred of credibility (probably too late) is they fire that entire crew. If a linesman is fired midseason over a missed false start, how can the league say they are consistent by allowing this crew - that CLEARLY cost a city a shot at a Super Bowl to stay on staff ???

I will tell you how - one of Murphy's Laws.

He who has the gold makes the rules. NFL ratings were sagging last year, so that rulemaker decided that he wants the LA media market in the Super Bowl.

No, the NFL is not rigged..............

35 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Sure, we could write that off as absolute stoicism and discipline by the Rams offense.

But if they really just saw their guys head get intentionally stomped like the stillframe is trying to portray they should and would be defending him regardless, that’s NFL culture. We see it all the time, even the playoffs. People get heated when that stuff happens.

I hope the Saints wouldn’t take that if they thought it was intentional. Run that dude into the dirt and pile on, take the 15 yards. Do the Rams not have guys on offense that would react  adversely to what that still frame is trying to suggest?

It was still early in the game too, hardly a time that would be game ending.  But nothing really happened, people just kinda popped up and carried on. 

The Rams players reaction to the play simply doesn’t come CLOSE to matching what you’d expect to see from a team who really just saw what that still frame is trying to suggest.

Also.... I don’t remember the Rams players even asking for a flag when it happened. Did they? 

Regardless, I’m not a fan that’s putting this loss solely on the refs anyways. Saints had chances to close after that and didn’t. I shouldn’t have to be the one defending a no call right now though lol. So I’m out on this discussion lol 

It was a horrendous no call. I'd be livid if I was a Saints fan but it wasn't the only missed call of the game. 

In our first matchup the Hekker spot was pretty egregious. Who's to say if that spot is better we don't win week 9 and are playing this game IN LA. 

13 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

It was a horrendous no call. I'd be livid if I was a Saints fan but it wasn't the only missed call of the game. 

In our first matchup the Hekker spot was pretty egregious. Who's to say if that spot is better we don't win week 9 and are playing this game IN LA. 

That’s possible, but when the horrendous call happens in the pivotal moment of the biggest game of the season, it’s hard to say a regular season call is worse.

Archived