Was this the worst call in NFL history?

evilpimp972

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Pictures don't tell the story, though. For it to be a penalty, you need a forcible blow. The picture doesn't tell us if it was incidental contact after he hit Brees' shoulder or a forcible blow. That's why a video is needed. I posted a video of the play showing three different angles, but none show a blow to the head. I'd need video of the angle shown in the picture. Regardless, there were plenty of bad calls and non-calls. It happens. Saints could have overcome it. They didn't. I understand the anger, but I'm not going to apologize for anything. I'm happy that we're going to the Super Bowl.

Lol now I believe when someone said you’re a lawyer. 

Itd be tough to win a case against you 

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I understand the anger, but I'm not going to apologize for anything. I'm happy that we're going to the Super Bowl.

Nobody is asking you to apologize or to not be happy.

I think there is some insecurity going on here, where you're tired of people saying "the Saints should've won" because you feel like they're saying your team should've lost. And believe me, if anybody knows how that feels, it's a Saints fan, after having to put up with Vikings fan comments from 2009 for almost a decade now.

I'm tired of trolls and sore winners, no matter what team they root for.

8 hours ago, Raves said:

You sure you have 20/20 vision?  Not even in real time did that look close to being bang bang.  TL was already on the ground by the tome the ball flew by

Yeah I’m sure. If you took off the black and gold tinted glasses, you probably would too.

It’s a quick play and that was my first reaction. That was clearly incorrect on the slow motion replay, but watching the real time play in the knowledge that it’s obvious PI completely changes what you look for.

I’m pretty convinced that your playside #1 did a bad job rubbing the DB who eventually made the hit. If he executes that assignment, Kamara probably walks into the end zone. 

8 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I do think the DPI was worse.  I would have thought so whether or not my team was involved.

I don't think we deserved to win the game though, we made too many mistakes, and didn't capitalize on our chances early when we had the momentum.  We needed to score TDs while the Rams were still rattled, and we didn't do that.  It was only a matter of time before the Rams settled into the game.  Our defense was very good this year, but it was never good enough to stop the Rams offense for an entire game.  We just blew too many opportunities to win the game.

I'm said my piece and I don't plan on discussing this any further.

I agree the DPI was a worse no call than the facemask, relatively. I’m still convinced both could be considered bad no calls. 

The facemask would have changed the game, as would the DPI being called correctly. 

If this was a stand alone bad call against the Saints, I could understand the hysteria., but it wasn’t. It’s just another of a series of bad no calls that both teams suffered.

6 hours ago, tyler735 said:

That is every bit the penalty that the facemask on Goff was. Both are soft as they were fairly minimal in malicious nature and impact on the overall outcome of the play, but according to the rules could be called penalties. Neither was as malicious or had the impact of the missed Pass Interference/Helmet to Helmet as Tommy Lee Lewis had a good chance at catching the ball for a first down/touchdown if the Rams defender doesn't interfere there.

So you're admitting that the penalty on Goff should have been called in that case? Why else provide all of this evidence to support the penalty on the INT?

If you're saying the Goff play should have been called, the next drive is the Saints having to score a touchdown to save their season. No cover 2 from the Rams leaving Joyner alone deep. Different play calls all around from both coaches. You're missed-call DPI and missed call INT never happen. You can't have it both ways.

6 hours ago, Destructo Spin said:

Nobody is asking you to apologize or to not be happy.

I think there is some insecurity going on here, where you're tired of people saying "the Saints should've won" because you feel like they're saying your team should've lost. And believe me, if anybody knows how that feels, it's a Saints fan, after having to put up with Vikings fan comments from 2009 for almost a decade now.

I'm tired of trolls and sore winners, no matter what team they root for.

Insecurity? Rams fans have waited for this for so long and when people say things like "you don't deserve to go to the Superbowl" or "there will forever be an asterisk next to that game", they are saying just that. The Rams did enough to deserve that win. They got a little help, yes, but when taking the entire game into account, it wasn't this earth shattering thing everyone is making it out to be. Trust me, I would love nothing more than to enjoy these two weeks I've waited the majority of my life for without hearing about one missed call.

What sucks even more is I like the Saints, love Drew Brees, and really love visiting the city, but some of the comments here, crap thrown at me on Twitter, and things that Payton/the players are saying is making me hate them more than any team in the league. We need to move on. 

54 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Trust me, I would love nothing more than to enjoy these two weeks I've waited the majority of my life for without hearing about one missed call.

Yet, without the blatantly missed call, the Rams most likely aren't going to the Super Bowl. What was it you said, you can't have it both ways

48 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Insecurity? Rams fans have waited for this for so long and when people say things like "you don't deserve to go to the Superbowl" or "there will forever be an asterisk next to that game", they are saying just that. The Rams did enough to deserve that win. They got a little help, yes, but when taking the entire game into account, it wasn't this earth shattering thing everyone is making it out to be. Trust me, I would love nothing more than to enjoy these two weeks I've waited the majority of my life for without hearing about one missed call.

What sucks even more is I like the Saints, love Drew Brees, and really love visiting the city, but some of the comments here, crap thrown at me on Twitter, and things that Payton/the players are saying is making me hate them more than any team in the league. We need to move on. 

Quite honestly, as a Vikings fan I find it very difficult to feel sorry for Drew Brees, Sean Payton or the Saints fans who were perfectly content to win the 2009 NFC Championship game the way they did.

8 minutes ago, evilflamingo said:

Yet, without the blatantly missed call, the Rams most likely aren't going to the Super Bowl. What was it you said, you can't have it both ways

Have you read anything I've wrote in this thread? 

Oh obviously you did, because you referenced having it both ways. Without that missed facemask call, it's an entirely different game with different defensive calls and different offensive calls. Just because one foul was more blatant than the other doesn't mean that the second one shouldn't be called. It's really not a hard concept and I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself. 

33 minutes ago, milanb said:

Quite honestly, as a Vikings fan I find it very difficult to feel sorry for Drew Brees, Sean Payton or the Saints fans who were perfectly content to win the 2009 NFC Championship game the way they did.

A win is a win, a loss is a loss.  We deserved to win that one, Rams deserved to win this one.  Playing the refs is part of the game.  

4 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Have you read anything I've wrote in this thread? 

Oh obviously you did, because you referenced having it both ways. Without that missed facemask call, it's an entirely different game with different defensive calls and different offensive calls. Just because one foul was more blatant than the other doesn't mean that the second one shouldn't be called. It's really not a hard concept and I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself. 

Yes, but you could do that ad absurdum. Go back to any of the previous drives and I'm sure that you can find multiple ticky-tack calls that could have been made but wasn't, giving you another alternate future and "entirely different game".

Here's a tip, show some humility and accept the fact that it was a horrible no-call and deal with the flak that comes with it. As the guy above me said, no one asks you to apologize or not be happy. 

5 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

A win is a win, a loss is a loss.  We deserved to win that one, Rams deserved to win this one.  Playing the refs is part of the game.  

Stop letting the NFL get away with such incompetence and responding with these clownish statements.

How can you call yourself a fan when you let your entire year get stolen like this and say "it's okay"?

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Stop letting the NFL get away with such incompetence and responding with these clownish statements.

How can you call yourself a fan when you let your entire year get stolen like this and say "it's okay"?

It happens to every team at some point.  It was trash call and they need to do a better job getting it right.  That doesn’t mean you have to be bitter about it for the rest of your life.

5 minutes ago, evilflamingo said:

Yes, but you could do that ad absurdum. Go back to any of the previous drives and I'm sure that you can find multiple ticky-tack calls that could have been made but wasn't, giving you another alternate future and "entirely different game".

Here's a tip, show some humility and accept the fact that it was a horrible no-call and deal with the flak that comes with it. As the guy above me said, no one asks you to apologize or not be happy. 

If a penalty occurs, it should be flagged. Period. If you actually believe that a flag shouldn't be thrown on that facemask because it wasn't as blatant as the DPI, you're a hypocrite and there's no point in going any further.

Obviously you HAVEN'T read anything I've posted. I have accepted it was an atrocious no call. I have accepted that the odds of the Rams surviving that DPI call are smaller than the picogram Jon Jones tested for. Now you need to accept a few things. The Rams had some bad no-calls against them as well. The Rams no-calls, while not as blatant, were much more frequent. That DPI no-call was not the last play of the game. They passed on first down, stopping the clock for the Rams. The Saints had 4 drives in the 4th quarter and OT and only scored 3 points. We can keep going in circles in this thread but you can't pick and choose only what you want to see.

Archived