Was this the worst call in NFL history?

evilpimp972

6 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

bro i’m not diminishing the rams achievements or anything you played a great game and i am stoked for you guys to go the distance, and heck, for the next couple of weeks i am a rams fan lmao

the difference is the dpi, if called, would’ve ended the game, whereas all the other. missed calls there’s far too much if as to what would have continued happening down through the line 

So it’s not an “if” about whether the FG would have been made? We’re banking on a good snap, hold and kick given the situation?

Calling the Goff facemask significantly alters the way the game plays out because the Saints would have had to take a completely different approach to their final drive. 

It’s as much of a stretch to say the Rams wouldn’t have punched it in from that position as it is to say the Saints would have missed the FG as time expired.

1 minute ago, Shady Slim said:

look bears and falcons i can cop but lions!! come on @The LBC there’s nobody who deserves that

I think (I'm a father of three who are all under the age of 6 so I can't claim that my mind isn't fragged at this point) the strain of logic I was working from was from you always claiming up the Lions and or Colts in GM Mocks on the old site.

People keep bringing up the "facemask" the possession before, but as many have stated, it didn't appear that the Saints defender really held on to the facemask. If I understand the rule correctly there is no 5 yard facemask anymore which means that wasn't an incorrect call given that he had his hand there for a split second and released it without really pulling much on Goff's facemask. I'd be willing to bet if there was a poll on whether or not that's a penalty, more people would side with it being called correctly.

However, if a poll was made in regards to the no-call on the pass interference/helmet to helmet hit, I'd imagine it would be as close to unanimous as a call can get in regards to there being a penalty or not.

I know if the script was turned I'd be doing my best to defend my team's win as well, which many Rams fans are doing here. That said, it puts a dark cloud over whatever happens in the playoffs going forward. Hopefully this causes the league to look into reviewing penalties. Especially blatant ones such as this. I get where it could be too much to dissect every play, but obviously in situations like this there's gotta be a better way to handle it. When that replay shows up on the jumbotron multiple times showing clear as day infractions for Pass Interference and Helmet to Helmet contact, that's a horrible look for the league.

saints-jared-goff-facemask.jpg

Rule 9.1.8:

“No player shall grasp and then twist, turn or pull the facemask, chin strap or any helmet opening of an opponent.”

Make all the argument that folks want - that's their prerogative - about the relevance of the uncalled facemask call relative to the uncalled DPI.  But there's not disputing that that's a facemask per the rule as it's written.  There's a grasping of the facemask and another opening of the helmet and there was a twist (Goff's head was turned to the left).

50 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

People keep bringing up the "facemask" the possession before, but as many have stated, it didn't appear that the Saints defender really held on to the facemask. If I understand the rule correctly there is no 5 yard facemask anymore which means that wasn't an incorrect call given that he had his hand there for a split second and released it without really pulling much on Goff's facemask. I'd be willing to bet if there was a poll on whether or not that's a penalty, more people would side with it being called correctly.

However, if a poll was made in regards to the no-call on the pass interference/helmet to helmet hit, I'd imagine it would be as close to unanimous as a call can get in regards to there being a penalty or not.

I know if the script was turned I'd be doing my best to defend my team's win as well, which many Rams fans are doing here. That said, it puts a dark cloud over whatever happens in the playoffs going forward. Hopefully this causes the league to look into reviewing penalties. Especially blatant ones such as this. I get where it could be too much to dissect every play, but obviously in situations like this there's gotta be a better way to handle it. When that replay shows up on the jumbotron multiple times showing clear as day infractions for Pass Interference and Helmet to Helmet contact, that's a horrible look for the league.

Dark cloud? Is there a dark cloud on the Saints 2009 chip? Besides a few mad Mn fans? Dark cloud? Is that a movie?

Since people are keying in on the "facemask" that wasn't called. Might as well include this from the interception in OT:

1548101067317-png.110512

"In covering the passer position, Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms, or other parts of the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area (see also the other unnecessary roughness rules covering these subjects)."

Just now, tyler735 said:

Since people are keying in on the "facemask" that wasn't called. Might as well include this from the interception in OT:

1548101067317-png.110512

"In covering the passer position, Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms, or other parts of the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area (see also the other unnecessary roughness rules covering these subjects)."

That ball was tipped.. Thing was a duck.

32 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

I don't like the facemask argument because refs miss facemasks like that all the time - they can be hard to see. That DPI was obvious - the ball wasn't even there when he got hit.

Refs blow DPI calls all the time. If you watch it in real time, it's nowhere near as blatant as it is in slow motion. It's DPI, but it's much closer to a bang bang play.

4 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Dark cloud? Is there a dark cloud on the Saints 2009 chip? Besides a few mad Mn fans? Dark cloud? Is that a movie?

A few?? I live in MN that crap is brought up all the time to this day. So yes there will certainly be a dark cloud over this Super Bowl

Archived