Was this the worst call in NFL history?

evilpimp972

2 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Of course not.

They will in most people's eyes tbh.

Yes that’s true.  Our own Super Bowl has an asterisk in many people’s eyes, as does one of yours.  But those players still  have rings and teams still hang banners.  I’m not gonna ask any one of them for an apology.

3 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yes that’s true.  Our own Super Bowl has an asterisk in many people’s eyes, as does one of yours.  But those players still  have rings and teams still hang banners.  I’m not gonna ask any one of them for an apology.

When has anyone asked for an apology?

4 hours ago, JonStark said:

Insecurity? Rams fans have waited for this for so long and when people say things like "you don't deserve to go to the Superbowl" or "there will forever be an asterisk next to that game", they are saying just that. The Rams did enough to deserve that win. They got a little help, yes, but when taking the entire game into account, it wasn't this earth shattering thing everyone is making it out to be. Trust me, I would love nothing more than to enjoy these two weeks I've waited the majority of my life for without hearing about one missed call.

What sucks even more is I like the Saints, love Drew Brees, and really love visiting the city, but some of the comments here, crap thrown at me on Twitter, and things that Payton/the players are saying is making me hate them more than any team in the league. We need to move on. 

This is going to be my last post on this subject as I'm just tired of it all.

The Rams deserve to be in the Super Bowl, they are a great team and did what they had to do to win the game in the end.  There should be no * on anything as it's stupid unless there is verifiable cheating, and by cheating I mean Refs fixing calls, using illegal practices to interfere with and intercept the opposing teams information etc, not things that are just normal parts of the game regardless of how you feel about them.

The missed DPI though did make a situation that would have been a near guaranteed victory for the Saints if made correctly end up being a loss.  The Saints still had a chance to win and they didn't do what was needed after it, or really before so that they weren't in that position.  But at that moment, had the call been made, the game was effectively over.  It didn't happen, the Rams capitalized and won the game.  End of story, I'm done commenting on anything about it anymore.

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

The Rams deserve to be in the Super Bowl, they are a great team and did what they had to do to win the game in the end.  There should be no * on anything as it's stupid unless there is verifiable cheating, and by cheating I mean Refs fixing calls, using illegal practices to interfere with and intercept the opposing teams information etc, not things that are just normal parts of the game regardless of how you feel about them.

The missed DPI though did make a situation that would have been a near guaranteed victory for the Saints if made correctly end up being a loss.  The Saints still had a chance to win and they didn't do what was needed after it, or really before so that they weren't in that position.  But at that moment, had the call been made, the game was effectively over.  It didn't happen, the Rams capitalized and won the game.  End of story, I'm done commenting on anything about it anymore.

I can't disagree with any of that. Well put. 

5 hours ago, JonStark said:

The Rams did enough to deserve that win.

They also did enough to lose it.

5 hours ago, JonStark said:

They got a little help, yes,

They literally lost the game and then the refs essentially ressurected them to give them another chance.

"a little help" would be a bad call early on that gives them a first down at the opponent's 40 instead of punting it deep.

On 1/20/2019 at 7:26 PM, Jlowe22 said:

I saw it coming.  It is what it is.

Had we not gotten some great calls against the Steelers, the game would have been in LA anyway.

Not really, had you not gotten the calls against the Steelers, the Saints would have been hosting a WC game, and the Bears would have been the #2 seed (assuming the rest of the season plays out the same). It didnt tho, and this was one of the most agregious non calls I've ever seen in the playoffs.  Kudos to you guys for staying classy about it tho.

1 minute ago, TXsteeler said:

They also did enough to lose it.

They literally lost the game and then the refs essentially ressurected them to give them another chance.

"a little help" would be a bad call early on that gives them a first down at the opponent's 40 instead of punting it deep.

Yes, that's correct, as did the Saints.

When I say a little help, I'm taking into account all of the missed calls on both teams and the coaching decisions by Payton late into the game. It's the easy way out to only look at one play out of 65 minutes of football, which wasn't the last play of the game, and form a decision based off of that. 

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

Yes, that's correct, as did the Saints.

When I say a little help, I'm taking into account all of the missed calls on both teams and the coaching decisions by Payton late into the game. It's the easy way out to only look at one play out of 65 minutes of football, which wasn't the last play of the game, and form a decision based off of that. 

But it practically would have been had the call gone correctly.

How many second would the Rams have to go down the field from the 25 and get a TD or FG with no timeouts had it been called right?

On 1/20/2019 at 7:50 PM, Coffee & Contemplation said:

The fact that this non-call happened late, in a tied NFC Championship definitely highlights the call. Had the same play happened in a week 2, Dolphins/Bills game then it doesn't get any attention. 

It also can't be said for sure that the call absolutely changes the outcome of the game. As the game didn't and wouldn't have ended right then. Even if the Saints scored on that play, the Rams could have equalized and you can't say they would have just gotten a FG, as they took a FG on the subsequent drive but only did so because that's what they needed. Had it been a TD or go home situation, they would have changed their playcalls. So we don't know that future. 

It was really bad. The defender was definitely early. But some of the camera angles that were shown regularly make it look worse than it was, because from certain angles its difficult to judge the distance of the ball from the tackle. He got there early, no doubt, but some camera angles make him look like he got there extra, extra early. 

Rams are still deserving of representing the NFC. 

Where you are wrong is that call results in a first and goal at the 9 with 1:49 on the clock and no TOs left for the rams.  It's a kick a fg with no time remaining situation.  The Rams offense would never have touched the ball again.

9 minutes ago, Raves said:

Perfectly put Raves. Can't disagree.

I also think that the bolded part is why there won't be a redo. I think this is what rule 17.2.3 means. Something egregiously outside the scope of the game.

1 minute ago, TXsteeler said:

But it practically would have been had the call gone correctly.

How many second would the Rams have to go down the field from the 25 and get a TD or FG with no timeouts had it been called right?

But it wasn't. 

There was another whole drive where the Saints could have stopped the Rams from getting in FG range. Then they got the ball first in OT. Then they had another chance to stop them. 

I'm not going to sit here and argue that had the call been made, the Rams still had a chance. All of the possible ways to come out of that situation with a win are ridiculously unlikely, but the fact is that one call did not lose them the entire game. You win that argument, congratulations. 

What would you propose as the solution?

All penalties, always reviewable? Dangerous.

One 'penalty challenge' per half?

All penalties reviewable during the last two minutes?

Certain penalties reviewable during the last two minutes?

To be honest I don't know. Not always though that is for sure.

Archived