Was this the worst call in NFL history?

evilpimp972

6 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

I'm just going to leave this board and not come back for a while. Tired of the trash talk. If your team got screwed over, you'd be mad too, and don't even try to say otherwise.

Really tired of hearing about how we're "whining" and all this and that. It's garbage. The game was stolen. You can try to justify it and make excuses and lash out at Saints fans, but you all know damn well if you were in the same position you'd be mad too. End of story.

It's bad enough to lose that game in that way without having every Tom **** and Harry on this message board trying to tell you how it really was your fault and trying to act like you've been victimized by us being mad about the result. **** that. **** that up the *** sideways with a refrigerator.

I've had enough of this horse****.

As a Lions' fan, I know the feeling.

We get death by a thousand cuts, though, and no one really cares.

The dumb cliches, but what abouts and justifications are indeed awful.

33 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Living in New Orleans right now is absolutely amazing. The denial and revisionism would make Texas proud. 

Jokes aside, tt was a terrible missed call on instant replay, particularly when shown from a ground level angle and in slow motion. But in real time on the television broadcast, it didn't look like much short of a bang bang play. Someone here put it right- it didn't cost the Saints the game, but it kept the Rams from losing. However, if we're going to talk about missed calls, I don't see how the missed facemask call or the missed hands to the face call (on the NRC no-call play) can be ignored. The game was full of missed calls, as all of them are. Keying in on 1 play while ignoring others is far too short sighted to be taken seriously. If the Rams don't kick the FG to take it to overtime, that missed facemask call becomes the worst call in NFL history. That, and the no call on the play clock running out. Lets not pretend that the refs were somehow biased. I'm neither a Rams nor Saints fan and the number of missed calls by the refs was infuriating to watch in an otherwise fantastic game by both teams. 

The irony, however, is that Bobby Hebert and co. on WWL radio spent the entire week leading up to the game talking about how Rams fans were whiny and full of conspiracy theories when they petitioned to have Vinovich and crew removed from the game. Irony at it's finest, indeed. 

I agree 100%. Very well put. 

This makes too much sense for the NFL to ever do it.

• Have a replay official on-site who's job is to look at the replays once or twice and point out OBVIOUS flaws
    • Michael Bennett softly tucked Cousins to the ground with Bennett as his pillow - 15 yards (easy negation)
    • 1 of 3 BS Clay Mathews roughing calls - (easy negation)
    • Jones hits Brady's shoulder pad -  (easy negation)
    • 3 Eagles fall on a fumbled kick return - clear and obvious possession (give the ball to Philly)

• Now lets talk NFCCG specifics
    • A WR gets trucked by a DB well before the ball arrives - easy review that initiates a penalty
    • A Ram tackles the edge rusher as they are about to get Goff - assess the holding penalty on review
    • Brees snaps the ball AFTER the clock expires (twice) - easy reviews that initiate penalties
    • New Orleans grabs Goff's facemask (twice? maybe a different Ram on the other one) - assess the penalties on review
    • A Saint jumps on top of CJ Anderson's head - call the 15 yarder that the refs missed and eject the player
    • A Sean Payton clone is seen on camera blowing a whistle - The game is stopped until he and many others doing the same are ejected from the stadium
      • hmm, I think the Rams still win that game when ALL OBVIOUS issues are corrected.

Refs already get together and talk on plays that confuse them.

• None of this would take a long time.
  • They don't have to pan and scan the O-line looking for the proverbial holding on every play

Give the coaches the ability to challenge one of these plays if the refs AND replay guy miss it

They can show car commercials in 3/4 of the screen while they review.

16 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

I'm just going to leave this board and not come back for a while. Tired of the trash talk. If your team got screwed over, you'd be mad too, and don't even try to say otherwise.

Really tired of hearing about how we're "whining" and all this and that. It's garbage. The game was stolen. You can try to justify it and make excuses and lash out at Saints fans, but you all know damn well if you were in the same position you'd be mad too. End of story.

It's bad enough to lose that game in that way without having every Tom **** and Harry on this message board trying to tell you how it really was your fault and trying to act like you've been victimized by us being mad about the result. **** that. **** that up the *** sideways with a refrigerator.

I've had enough of this horse****.

I'm a Raiders fan. I've had cause to be irked for over a decade now. But I'm not mad over it, so no, not everyone gets mad and offended by it. In fact, when the Raiders do lose, I question THEM- why didn't they play better so that the game didn't come down to 1 play? What are they going to do to improve it? 

It isn't pure justification about the Saints having the game stolen. Had they won, they would have won because of the no-call facemask. That's just a simple fact in the grand scheme of things. 

You can be mad all you want, it's what sports fans do. But every radio station, tv station, and random Saints fan I've come across in New Orleans over the last 3 days have been anything but humble in defeat. There is a fine line between highlighting an issue that needs to be fixed (which missed calls desperately need) and ungraciously complaining just because "it happened to us". In my personal experience, the Saints fanbase has crossed that line two-fold. If Saints fans don't want to have all of the penalties that the Saints got away with pointed out, the * on the Superbowl win, and how you all spent years crying foul for Bountygate and the evil Roger Goodell coming down hard on you and having too much dictatorial power only to want him to "fix this NOW!!!", it's probably best to either stay away from message boards or take the medicine. 

Trash talking? Sean Payton lead a SKOL chant in Minnesota. He singled out Marcus Peters to trash. In general, he's come off like a total tool the last couple of years in a way that has made him a nauseating figure to many fans of other teams. Last year, I believe against the Bengals* (could be wrong), the Saints left the field after a loss before the PAT was even attempted. I believe Thomas Morestead was the only player with the sportsmanship and grace to remain on the field before some guys got sent from the locker room to finish it out. Since 2010, the Saints fan base has been nothing but trash talk about sticking it to someone- Favre, Alex Smith's knee, Goodell, Marcus Peters, the city of Atlanta and the fact that winning the Superbowl in their stadium meant more than simply winning the thing in the first place. WWL radio was full of nothing but negative things to say about literally every team in the playoffs except the Saints. Payton has never been one to keep the trash talking from his own team in check. Look at Eli Apple getting in McVay's face for an example. The Saints fans want a public apology from the NFL- the same team and fan base that vehemently denied purposefully trying to injure other players. They want it to be said that they "got screwed"? Ok, they can get up themselves and talk about every missed or blown call that has led to their success too. I've seen some of the dirtiest play I've ever seen come from the Saints in recent years- enough to make Bill Romanowski blush for sure. I've seen Payton purposely leave his starters in up 40 and still passing the ball late in the 4th. If anyone has room to talk about being upset by trash talk, it certainly isn't the Saints fan base. Have a good vacation though! 

On 1/20/2019 at 7:52 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

Ease up guys. Vinovich has not even see the play.............:S

On a serious note. this is why every play should be reviewable. 

On 1/20/2019 at 7:53 PM, Shady Slim said:

this makes it hilariously worse

how do you not see a guy completely level another guy, you’re reffing on the short field too

I've seen a bunch of posts like this. So let's clear one thing up. If Vinovich saw that play on the field he would have been wrong because that is absolutely NOT where is should be looking. All the refs have specific responsibilities. His there is to look at the QB, not down the field. He should be reprimanded if he saw it. There are 2 or three other officials whose responsibility would have put that in their vision. It is on them. It is not on Vinovich. Just because you wear the white hat doesn't mean you are responsible for every missed call.

15 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm a Raiders fan. I've had cause to be irked for over a decade now. But I'm not mad over it, so no, not everyone gets mad and offended by it. In fact, when the Raiders do lose, I question THEM- why didn't they play better so that the game didn't come down to 1 play? What are they going to do to improve it? 

It isn't pure justification about the Saints having the game stolen. Had they won, they would have won because of the no-call facemask. That's just a simple fact in the grand scheme of things. 

You can be mad all you want, it's what sports fans do. But every radio station, tv station, and random Saints fan I've come across in New Orleans over the last 3 days have been anything but humble in defeat. There is a fine line between highlighting an issue that needs to be fixed (which missed calls desperately need) and ungraciously complaining just because "it happened to us". In my personal experience, the Saints fanbase has crossed that line two-fold. If Saints fans don't want to have all of the penalties that the Saints got away with pointed out, the * on the Superbowl win, and how you all spent years crying foul for Bountygate and the evil Roger Goodell coming down hard on you and having too much dictatorial power only to want him to "fix this NOW!!!", it's probably best to either stay away from message boards or take the medicine. 

Trash talking? Sean Payton lead a SKOL chant in Minnesota. He singled out Marcus Peters to trash. In general, he's come off like a total tool the last couple of years in a way that has made him a nauseating figure to many fans of other teams. Last year, I believe against the Bengals* (could be wrong), the Saints left the field after a loss before the PAT was even attempted. I believe Thomas Morestead was the only player with the sportsmanship and grace to remain on the field before some guys got sent from the locker room to finish it out. Since 2010, the Saints fan base has been nothing but trash talk about sticking it to someone- Favre, Alex Smith's knee, Goodell, Marcus Peters, the city of Atlanta and the fact that winning the Superbowl in their stadium meant more than simply winning the thing in the first place. WWL radio was full of nothing but negative things to say about literally every team in the playoffs except the Saints. Payton has never been one to keep the trash talking from his own team in check. Look at Eli Apple getting in McVay's face for an example. The Saints fans want a public apology from the NFL- the same team and fan base that vehemently denied purposefully trying to injure other players. They want it to be said that they "got screwed"? Ok, they can get up themselves and talk about every missed or blown call that has led to their success too. I've seen some of the dirtiest play I've ever seen come from the Saints in recent years- enough to make Bill Romanowski blush for sure. I've seen Payton purposely leave his starters in up 40 and still passing the ball late in the 4th. If anyone has room to talk about being upset by trash talk, it certainly isn't the Saints fan base. Have a good vacation though! 

Removed

You're better than this. I can't begin to understand your frustration, but I'm asking you to take a deep breath. I've got a ton of respect for you, so I'm asking to tone it down.

Thanks.

- ET

Didn't read all 34 pages, so if this point has been made, my apologies.  But to the OP, it isn't the worst, but it is among the most glaring, due to the stakes.

Cioncidentally, the other play I'd put up against it for magnitude would be the tuck rule game.  The coincidence being that the two beneficiaries are squaring off in less than two weeks.

I read a quote today in the saints forum. Think it’s perfect.. 

Fray32

Fellas, I think I have some newfound... I mean I won't call it respect but how about "understanding" for... Vikings fans?

I still despise the Vikings more than any out of division team, mind. However, I was thinking about the 09 game and - Bounty stuff aside, lol - we definitely had some controversial calls go in our favor, I can't list them off the top of my head but maybe if I say "This isn't Detroit man, this is the Superbowl" three times, a Vikings fan will appear and gladly offer their commentary. My point is that each and every one of us are 100% guilty of glossing over these controversial/close calls and usually as rebuttal brush them aside and say something like "well maybe AP shouldn't have fumbled every other handoff" or "Favre could have run for the first down instead of throwing across his body" (this better sound familiar). I know we feel like a great injustice has been done to us, but nobody is going to remember or care.

The Vikings must have felt the exact same way in 09 (again Im just talking officiating here) so now when we all reminisce and take for granted that Superbowl win, I totally understand that resentment from the Vikings that no one remembers, or even worse: no one cares about the officiating. Nobody remembers that Pierre Thomas sorta-fumble on that one 4th down play, EVERYONE knows the Tracy Porter pick 6 (and a personal favorite: the Lance Moore two point convert) two weeks later. That I can't remember the other calls sorta proves my point. Regardless of what the Rams do here, this no call is gonna be a footnote in history and we'll be the old curmudgeon gatekeepers of "the truth".

I'm sure none of us will be able to resist bringing this up over the next two weeks (or several years), but just having a little historical perspective at the same time will do us all good.

Edit: new page eh, didn't want this post to have that much pressure :S

Edited yesterday at 02:23 PM by Fray32

Just so beautiful. 

Archived