Dan made the push for Bowles and Williams, not Gruden

mar29020

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dan-snyders-pursuit-of-todd-bowles-gregg-williams-may-not-bode-well-for-jay-gruden-in-2020/

"As one source... put it, 'Dan put the full-court press on (Bowles). He didn't want to let him leave. He wanted to know what conditions it would take to get him to stay. If Todd had said, 'I'll only do it if I am the head coach,' I think he may have gone for it.'"

This gives some hope to maybe the fan in Snyder is willing to do what it takes to win again. Knowing Snyder was never able to meet with Greg Williams makes me feel better. I know at least Williams didn't just turn a offer down or actually had a meeting with Snyder and maybe there is chance the meeting happens next offseason. Actions show Dan has took notice to the teams latest failures and is tryna do something about it. Gruden definitely should be worried about his job after next season. Fans have to continue to force this change to happen. You don't root or show up to games when your Owner doesn't even care if the team is Winning. The goal is to Win!!

Snyder reaching out to Williams could be a indication he was willing to replace Jay with Greg. Something I would say is positive. As mentioned it will be hard to get to Snyder to sell the team, so if he is doing things like looking to find out if Greg Williams (had the Browns 5-3) I believe would be interested in reuniting with him I'm ok with that.

12 hours ago, offbyone said:

Why be mad at snyder for going after bowles hard?  If Gruden needs a 4th defensive coordinator, which he does, do you really let him choose another weak one?  

At least it shows he recognizes that something has to be done.

Gruden really needs a bunch of coordinators. He needs an OC, he needs a DC, he needs a S&C coach. Or he just runs it all himself, and gets the hell out of dodge to ride off into the sunset and go coach in Oakland under big brother. 

8 hours ago, mike23md said:

Gruden really needs a bunch of coordinators. He needs an OC, he needs a DC, he needs a S&C coach. Or he just runs it all himself, and gets the hell out of dodge to ride off into the sunset and go coach in Oakland under big brother. 

I agree.  He needs a lot.  Gruden simply is not a good head coach.  When I see head coaches who only play a hands on role on one side of the ball, it is hard not to think they should be coordinators.  The fact that Gruden hasn't taken initiative himself to make changes shows it all.  Supposedly he defers to Callahan for the run game design.  The run game has been inconsistent at best for years, yet he doesn't step in and make a change. 

Obviously, I am not a fan of Gruden.  But if you aren't going to fire Allen, then what is the point of hiring a new head coach, because really a new hire should come from whoever the next GM is.  I don't want Allen getting another HC hire, that would mean Allen is here long term.  So it seems that making an aggressive move at defensive coordinator is the only option for real change.  Gruden has run through defensive coordinators incredibly fast and he doesn't seem to care about the defensive side so why not make the hire for him.  He already showed he won't hire a top end one like Wade Phillips when he had the chance.

I would have liked to see snyder oust Bruce Allen, hire or elevate someone internal to GM and then let that person hire a head coach.  But I think Snyder is stuck with Bruce Allen until the stadium deal is done or it fails.  And so I don't really have a problem with Snyder trying to make a hire here.  It isn't like he is picking players.  Putting aside Snyder's history of meddling that has failed, the truth is that owners should and always do have some level of involvement.  This isn't over the line.  It is very hard not to assume the worse when Snyder does anything, but something needs to be done.  I am trying to be open minded to snyder these days.  

To think for a second Gregg Williams was coming back in any capacity is ridiculous. He was promised the head job after Gibbs left and Snyder shafted him, which of course worked out because he got a ring. This time around Gregg Williams only used Snyder to squeeze the Jets for a couple more bucks. The guys value hasn’t been this high since bountygate, why the hell would he come to this team?

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

I agree.  He needs a lot.  Gruden simply is not a good head coach.  When I see head coaches who only play a hands on role on one side of the ball, it is hard not to think they should be coordinators.  The fact that Gruden hasn't taken initiative himself to make changes shows it all.  Supposedly he defers to Callahan for the run game design.  The run game has been inconsistent at best for years, yet he doesn't step in and make a change. 

Obviously, I am not a fan of Gruden.  But if you aren't going to fire Allen, then what is the point of hiring a new head coach, because really a new hire should come from whoever the next GM is.  I don't want Allen getting another HC hire, that would mean Allen is here long term.  So it seems that making an aggressive move at defensive coordinator is the only option for real change.  Gruden has run through defensive coordinators incredibly fast and he doesn't seem to care about the defensive side so why not make the hire for him.  He already showed he won't hire a top end one like Wade Phillips when he had the chance.

I would have liked to see snyder oust Bruce Allen, hire or elevate someone internal to GM and then let that person hire a head coach.  But I think Snyder is stuck with Bruce Allen until the stadium deal is done or it fails.  And so I don't really have a problem with Snyder trying to make a hire here.  It isn't like he is picking players.  Putting aside Snyder's history of meddling that has failed, the truth is that owners should and always do have some level of involvement.  This isn't over the line.  It is very hard not to assume the worse when Snyder does anything, but something needs to be done.  I am trying to be open minded to snyder these days.  

Gruden reminds me a lot of Steve Spurrier, who just focused on his offense and let Marvin Lewis take the brunt of everything the first season, and was finally exposed as incompetent in his second season.  

While Gruden has a decent offense, it hasn't evolved since he's come here and its his own hubris.  We sign Adrian Peterson and don't get a fullback for him to run behind, when he's had that his entire career and was extremely successful.  We still try to do the same passing concepts we did when we had Desean Jackson and Pierre Garcon, and our receivers just aren't talented.  

What you say about him needing a coordinator on offense is true.  Again, it's his own hubris that makes him want to call plays, and the only season he didn't was because someone was trying to hire away McVay the year before he left.  No NFL coach has ever had success long-term calling plays except Bill Belichick.  Also, no NFL coach has ever has success long-term being a coach/GM except for........you guessed it, Belichick.  He has a system that constantly evolves and takes on new aspects as coaches come and go, as he meets with other college coaches to discuss innovation and he has a system that works and preaches accountability.  

Accountability is the word.  Until we have that from ownership, and it trickles down to the practice squad, we won't have any sustained success and no legit coaches or players will choose to come here.  

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Gruden reminds me a lot of Steve Spurrier, who just focused on his offense and let Marvin Lewis take the brunt of everything the first season, and was finally exposed as incompetent in his second season.  

While Gruden has a decent offense, it hasn't evolved since he's come here and its his own hubris.  We sign Adrian Peterson and don't get a fullback for him to run behind, when he's had that his entire career and was extremely successful.  We still try to do the same passing concepts we did when we had Desean Jackson and Pierre Garcon, and our receivers just aren't talented.  

What you say about him needing a coordinator on offense is true.  Again, it's his own hubris that makes him want to call plays, and the only season he didn't was because someone was trying to hire away McVay the year before he left.  No NFL coach has ever had success long-term calling plays except Bill Belichick.  Also, no NFL coach has ever has success long-term being a coach/GM except for........you guessed it, Belichick.  He has a system that constantly evolves and takes on new aspects as coaches come and go, as he meets with other college coaches to discuss innovation and he has a system that works and preaches accountability.  

Accountability is the word.  Until we have that from ownership, and it trickles down to the practice squad, we won't have any sustained success and no legit coaches or players will choose to come here.  

Whoa sir!! 

Hubris and Accountability are way too big of words to throw in front of this staff...Snyder is barely out of pull ups and Allen is shopping for training bras. 

Image result for dan snyder in a pull up

Archived