Dan made the push for Bowles and Williams, not Gruden

mar29020

@Woz the RFK/90 year proposal was in the spending bill that hasn't been signed and caused all of the furloughs and political uproar.  So it would have to be a rider attached to a new spending bill.  

Also, besides the Oxon Cove location, I believe Governor Hogan has another site near the Westminster area as well.  He's bending over backwards to keep the Redskins in Maryland.  I just hope we aren't foolish enough to pay for his stadium.  

44 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

@Woz the RFK/90 year proposal was in the spending bill that hasn't been signed and caused all of the furloughs and political uproar.  So it would have to be a rider attached to a new spending bill.  

Except now that it is a new Congress, it might die in committees or killed by various other tools of Congress.

44 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Also, besides the Oxon Cove location, I believe Governor Hogan has another site near the Westminster area as well.  He's bending over backwards to keep the Redskins in Maryland.  I just hope we aren't foolish enough to pay for his stadium.  

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 5:51 PM, Woz said:

Except now that it is a new Congress, it might die in committees or killed by various other tools of Congress.

Good luck.

The old congress/ POTUS shut the government down in Dec of 2018, the new Congress/POTUS kept it shut for the first 25 days of 2019 but opened it a week ago and has two weeks to figure out a plan so that govt doesn't  shut down again.

I agree with you, I doubt that the Redskins proposal is included in a spending package to keep the Govt open under this new Congress.

Basically, the way spending packages are put together to keep govt open most of the time, if all of the appropriations bills aren't passed in regular order - which hasn't happened in over a decade -  is by putting everything into an Omnibus Spending bill, which puts them all together, even if the individual spending bills haven't passed the Appropriations committee individually. They'll put them all in one package, and vote it out of the Aprops committee together.

When this happens, you basically have a spending bill that will cost $800 billion plus being passed by Congress and hopefully signed by POTUS to keep govt open.

This is also called a Christmas Tree bill bc the spending is so large that you can  attach pieces of legislation to it that can cost a few billion themselves - basically you can hide those bills bc the overall spending package is so large - if Leadership in Congress and the POTUS agree.

This would mean that the 2 House and 2 Senate leaders would have to agree to include the Redskins package into the next spending bill or would have had to agreed to include it in the last and then, POTUS would have to agree.

I don't know about you, but that seems highly unlikely to me.

It's not really a Redskins deal, but it gives the DC government control of the land, something they currently do not have.  If they were to gain control of the land, then the DC government could begin to work with the team on a new stadium.  I picked a snippet from a recent article on WTOP's website, but the entire article is worth a read to understand the situation as it stands now.  

Mayor Muriel Bowser has been reportedly trying to bring NFL football back to D.C., specifically to the RFK site the Burgundy and Gold once called home. In early December, The Washington Post reported that the club was working with both the Mayor’s office as well as Republican Congressional members to fit a provision into the federal spending bill that would loosen the laws on the way the land is intended to be used, paving the way for a potential NFL stadium on site.

That initial effort appears to have stalled for now.

“There is no deal, there’s no outlined plan, and there’s no agreement between the team and the District,” Bowser’s Chief of Staff John Falcicchio told WTOP. “What there is, is a hope that the District is able to attain the land, either through a transfer or a long-term lease, and be able to figure out with the community what the long-term vision for the RFK campus is.”

Read More: https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2019/01/the-fight-to-keep-the-nfl-away-from-rfk-stadium/

24 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It's not really a Redskins deal, but it gives the DC government control of the land, something they currently do not have.  If they were to gain control of the land, then the DC government could begin to work with the team on a new stadium.  I picked a snippet from a recent article on WTOP's website, but the entire article is worth a read to understand the situation as it stands now.  

Fair enough, but I doubt it happens. I don't know.why the federal government would give up control of that land to the city, if I had a vote Congress, I wouldn't.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Fair enough, but I doubt it happens. I don't know.why the federal government would give up control of that land to the city, if I had a vote Congress, I wouldn't.

The fact that Congress was even considering giving DC more control is astonishing given Congress' track record of micromanaging the city.

Archived