Kyle Rudolph Named Walter Payton Man of the Year

SemperFeist

On 1/28/2019 at 5:43 AM, SemperFeist said:

I still see the possibility of cutting Rudolph very low on the “likelihood” scale. 

A restructure/extension seems a much more likely outcome. 

But makes little sense.

5 hours ago, RpMc said:

But makes little sense.

Restructuring to lower the cap hit and keeping one of the most productive tight ends in the league doesn’t make sense? 

Why, because people want some shiny new toy, and foolishly think that a rookie is magically going to step in and replace him?

i understand wanting to add a more explosive athlete at the position. But cutting a player like Rudolph with no real TE1 on the roster well before the draft a.) leaves a massive hole on the roster, b.) pretty much forces your hand to draft a TE who may or may not be worthy of the draft position, and c.) forces you to rely on a rookie at a position where rookies make very little impact. 

18 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Restructuring to lower the cap hit and keeping one of the most productive tight ends in the league doesn’t make sense? 

Why, because people want some shiny new toy, and foolishly think that a rookie is magically going to step in and replace him?

i understand wanting to add a more explosive athlete at the position. But cutting a player like Rudolph with no real TE1 on the roster well before the draft a.) leaves a massive hole on the roster, b.) pretty much forces your hand to draft a TE who may or may not be worthy of the draft position, and c.) forces you to rely on a rookie at a position where rookies make very little impact. 

If he takes a hefty pay cut, sure, but I’d still rather just cut bait.

It has nothing to do with wanting a shiny new toy, and everything to do with my belief that he’s only as productive as he is because he gets snaps. I don’t think there would be a big difference in tight end production if Morgan got the snaps over Rudolph, and we could arguably be a more balanced offense. 

You would certainly not be forced into drafting a tight end. You could sign a Lance Kendricks, Maxx Williams, or Jeff Heuerman type free agent to pair with Morgan as your 1a/1b tight ends. Then, if the draft falls in a way where you can get an impact player, go for it. 

Archived