Kyle Rudolph Named Walter Payton Man of the Year

SemperFeist

2 hours ago, RpMc said:

Can’t say I’m for a Rudolph extension (obviously given my current stance on him) to lower his cap hit. 

He’s going to be 30 halfway through next season and doesn’t play the type of game that ages well. 

Paycut or cut; don’t push more money into the future with him. 

It's a rock and a hard place for us right now. We are in our "Super Bowl window". Do we go all in and risk mortgaging our future? Or do we make safer financial and personnel moves to hope we can remain competitive in the long run and risk wasting our current talent? It's tough. I lean toward being more conservative as I would rather be playoff contenders for the next 5-7 years than risk it all to lose in the divisional round next year. However, I change my stance about every other day.

As long as you draft well, your window should never really “close” I’m not mortgaging the future on two more years of Cousins, and I would prefer not to extend players who are coming near the end of their useful shelf life. 

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

I understand this thinking but I would refine it somewhat for flexibility. As long as the team doesn't guarantee him any more than they want to pay him this year the details of the extension do not much matter to me.

For example, if they team thinks he is worth $5M for the year and they sign him to an extension that gives him a $3M signing bonus, $2M guaranteed base salary in 2019, and two additional non-guaranteed years at whatever value leaving him with a $3M cap hit this year with $2M charged against future cap I see no way that is worse for the team than paying out all $5M of it this year.

Assuming the salaries for the next two years would be reasonable it is better for the team to have two option years tacked onto the end. Sure, the team could be left with $2M dead next year (or $1M in each in '20 and '21 if they designate him a post June 1 cut) if they don't want to pick up the option but they could completely eliminate that risk by simply carrying over the extra $2M saved this year essentially getting option years for no additional risk.

In the end of the day, $2M dead in the future is better for the team than $2M spent now. Inflation will make that $2M a smaller portion of the cap in the future than it would be today. Also, I think the team should be doing a bit of pushing cap into the future the next couple years anyway until they can get out under that burdensome Cousins contract. At that point, if the draft goes right in one of the next couple years they will have a QB on a rookie salary. Or they will have won a Super Bowl with Cousins and they will be paying out a new contract to him but any scenario that involves winning a Super Bowl is a good scenario to me even it it puts the team in a bad situation for a few years afterwards.

I can understand this line of thinking, but still would prefer not to push money into the future. We have the ability to free up cap space without doing so, and, in my opinion, without largely impacting the team’s ability to compete with the Cousins window. 

Teams that push money into the future via restructure haven’t got a good track record of sustained success, and this team doesn’t really have a habit of doing those types of restructures either. 

4 minutes ago, RpMc said:

As long as you draft well, your window should never really “close” I’m not mortgaging the future on two more years of Cousins, and I would prefer not to extend players who are coming near the end of their useful shelf life. 

Agree. And overpaying for a guard while weakening the defense or making big reaches in the draft to fill needs is a way to go from good to bad quickly.

11 hours ago, vikestyle said:

It's a rock and a hard place for us right now. We are in our "Super Bowl window". Do we go all in and risk mortgaging our future? Or do we make safer financial and personnel moves to hope we can remain competitive in the long run and risk wasting our current talent? It's tough. I lean toward being more conservative as I would rather be playoff contenders for the next 5-7 years than risk it all to lose in the divisional round next year. However, I change my stance about every other day.

My stance never changes.  I'm over the "All-In" philosophy.  That's been tried with this franchise numerous times over the last 30+ years...and it's failed every single time.  Continue what they've been doing to remain competitive for the playoffs every year, regardless of the current talent or age of that talent.  Once they get into the playoffs, then anything can happen.  

Archived