Should the Chiefs have thrown a pass with 11 seconds left?

patriotsheatyan

I don't think it was worth the risk.  They're running somewhere between 2-4 guys into the endzone, against a coverage that had 8 guys in the endzone.  Not good odds.  

They would have done it with 11 seconds or maybe even 8-9 seconds had it been their first shot at it.  But they tried it once at 16 seconds, saw how impossible it was going to be, and did the right thing.

Now...had they known what was about to happen in OT, they probably would have taken two more shots and let time expire without kicking a FG.  But you can't do that, because you don't know.

11 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

The defense the Patriots were in the only pass thats was gonna get completed was a pass across rhe middle. So now you have to asked, did the Chiefs have a Timeout to call once the ball is caught in bounds? I don't know if they did or didn't, but I know Belichick definitely made sure what happened to his defense with Gronk in a previous game didn't happen this game. 

KC had no timeouts left.  Although they got a freebie timeout with the penalty at 16 seconds.  Had there been no penalty, they would have spiked the ball with around 5-8 seconds left and kicked the field goal.  They took one shot, didn't work so they made the correct call.

Archived