Super Bowl LIII: Rams vs. Patriots - Poll Added!

DigInBoys

Super Bowl LIII  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• Rams
    • Patriots

Just now, SBLIII said:

How did he have a terrible game? He made one bad decision and had one pass deflected of the hands of Edelman. After that he led them down the 3 times in 4Q and OT. Wasn't his best game sure as heck wasn't terrible.

I'll acknowledge terrible was a bit harsh.  Bad is probably more fitting.  I just don't think that offense is him as much as people think and want to claim.  He had a bad game, and if not for his wildly underrated run game and blocking, he'd not have won.  His defense also shut the Chiefs out for a full half. 

I've always said that my hatred for the Patriots stems not from the Patriots, but from how the success of that team and Bill Belichick's wildly overperforming and overachieving defense consistently gets them further than they should get.  I just see all this credit given to quarterbacks when they're like a 4th of the outcome of a game in the playoffs. 

The Belichick era has been marked by strong running, strong special teams, strong defense and strong QB play, yet all the credit seems to go to Brady, and that pisses me off. 

A zero point first half for the Chiefs, Brady is the hero in spite of two, should have been three interceptions (including a really bad one).

Falcons Super Bowl, Brady literally contributes 7 points to the Falcons, then the Patriots defense shuts out the Falcons the entire second half.  Brady is, again, the hero.  Pretty sure the Patriots shut out the Seahawks in the second half of that other Super Bowl, too. 

Brady has played his part no doubt, but if Brady is placed with any other head coach in the league, he's got maybe three Super Bowl rings.  And this is not something I say only about Brady.  I've been the only Packer fan reminding people that Rodgers had a terrible game in the NFC Championship game that led to the Packers Super Bowl appearance in 2010, and that without the 14 points and about 6 turnovers the Packer defense scored/created in the Championship game and Super Bowl, Rodgers doesn't have a ring. 

This is so tedious. People will say oh the Rams are a better team the Pats aren't that great blah blah then they win the game and all the sports morons blather on with their "GOAT" dribblings. Just give the trophy to the teamfromhell Patsies and let's move on to the draft.

So after sleeping on it, despite the wanting the Rams to win, I really do think the Patriots should be fairly significant favorites here. They match up pretty well to the Rams and have the experience edge. The Rams definitely have the talent to win (especially if Gurley gets relatively healthy for the game) but they have to approach the game like the Eagles did last year. You have to plan for the shootout. McVay has had too much Andy Reid in him in his playoff games, going too conservative at times with FGs and needs to be aggressive. The Pats oline has been dominate all postseason so I'm not sure just Suh+Donald is enough. Despite his incredibly quick release, I think you need to do what Schwartz eventually did when his team got the fumble and get aggressive with the blitz knowing that you probably won't consistently slow down Brady anyways and need to play for turnovers, big hits and hope he starts to show his age a bit.

58 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'll acknowledge terrible was a bit harsh.  Bad is probably more fitting.  I just don't think that offense is him as much as people think and want to claim.  He had a bad game, and if not for his wildly underrated run game and blocking, he'd not have won.  His defense also shut the Chiefs out for a full half. 

I've always said that my hatred for the Patriots stems not from the Patriots, but from how the success of that team and Bill Belichick's wildly overperforming and overachieving defense consistently gets them further than they should get.  I just see all this credit given to quarterbacks when they're like a 4th of the outcome of a game in the playoffs. 

The Belichick era has been marked by strong running, strong special teams, strong defense and strong QB play, yet all the credit seems to go to Brady, and that pisses me off. 

A zero point first half for the Chiefs, Brady is the hero in spite of two, should have been three interceptions (including a really bad one).

Falcons Super Bowl, Brady literally contributes 7 points to the Falcons, then the Patriots defense shuts out the Falcons the entire second half.  Brady is, again, the hero.  Pretty sure the Patriots shut out the Seahawks in the second half of that other Super Bowl, too. 

Brady has played his part no doubt, but if Brady is placed with any other head coach in the league, he's got maybe three Super Bowl rings.  And this is not something I say only about Brady.  I've been the only Packer fan reminding people that Rodgers had a terrible game in the NFC Championship game that led to the Packers Super Bowl appearance in 2010, and that without the 14 points and about 6 turnovers the Packer defense scored/created in the Championship game and Super Bowl, Rodgers doesn't have a ring. 

This is like an essay put together with no research or references. No backup or data points, all emotion and left fielded opinions. Sorry. Gonna have to give you a failing grade on this one

Just now, Nex_Gen said:

This is like an essay put together with no research or references, all emotion and left fielded opinions. Sorry. Gonna have to give you a failing grade on this one

Your mom is like a research paper with too many references. 

Lol, sorry.  That was mean. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

It's almost as if Brady is the GOAT and Bill is arguably the GOAT coach. They can have success without each other but neither could have had the success the Patriots did alone.

At the end of the day the QB still needs to go out there and execute the gameplan which is why the PAT's success is something like 60/40 Brady/Bill.

10 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

It's almost as if Brady is the GOAT and Bill is arguably the GOAT coach. They can have success without each other but neither could have had the success the Patriots did alone.

At the end of the day the QB still needs to go out there and execute the gameplan which is why the PAT's success is something like 60/40 Brady/Bill.

It's crazy how people on either side of this argument can't see this extremely obvious point. I do agree with Outpost that the media often overstates Brady's impact. It's about as balanced as you can get, in my opinion.

As for yesterday, KC scored 35.3ppg in the regular season and 31 yesterday, so the Patriots' defense held them to 4.3 points below their mean. KC allowed 26.3ppg in the regular season and NE scored 31 in regulation, so the Patriots scored 4.7 points more than KC's allowed mean. So yep, both sides came through.

The game plan the Rams had against Michael Thomas needs to be considered for Julian Edleman.  I'm not sure how you stop Gronk because you just can't on those 1v1 jump balls.  The problem is, unlike the Saints offense that drives on just two players, the Pats will kill you with someone like James White or someone like that. 

Just now, ILoveTheVikings said:

Did you seriously just say that the Patriot's success is 60 percent Brady? 

First Super Bowl - 1 whole touchdown, 190 passing yards (including 115 passing yards in the Championship game).  Defense held teams to 13 points, 17 points, 17 points.

Second Super Bowl - 5 total touchdowns, 2 interceptions in three games.  14 points, 14 points, 29 points allowed. 

Third Super Bowl, Patriots held the Colts to 3 points.  Brady threw for 195 yards per game. 

Brady won a game throwing three interceptions against the Chargers.  How many quarterbacks win a playoff game with 3 interceptions? 

Brady won a playoff game against the Ravens throwing 0 touchdowns and 2 interceptions throwing for 4.14 yards per attempt. 

NFL average points per game is 23.  Brady's defense has held opponents to 21 points per game in the playoffs. 

If anybody honestly believes that the Patriots success is 60% on Brady, that proves everything I've been saying. 

Out of all the great quarterbacks, Brady's 21 points against is the lowest by a VERY LARGE MARGIN (Except for Peyton Manning, who was also overrated with his team allowing only 21.4 points per game in his postseason history).

So yeah, Brady is better than Peyton Manning, and a lot of other quarterbacks.  He's a better QB than Rodgers.  He's PROBABLY better QB than Brees.  He probably actually is the best QB of all time, but that does NOT mean it's all on him.  He's 40% of that success AT MOST, and 40% of the playoff games he's won, he doesn't win if his defense doesn't keep the opponent under that NFL average. 

In fact, if Brady's defense allowed 24 points in any playoff game, his 29-10 postseason record turns to:

17-13 with only two Super Bowl wins. 

To clarify for people who are confused, if his defense allowed 24 points and his performance stayed the same, Brady is 0-3 in his first three postseasons.  He scored 16, 17 and 20 points in the first game of his first three Super Bowl years.  NOT great.  If his defense didn't bail him out, he doesn't even get to those first three Super Bowls. 

So I don't know how you can say that he's accountable for 60% of the success when he doesn't even get to 50% of his Super Bowl wins without that defense, without Belichick. 

It's preposterous the praise he gets.   It is NOT the New England Brady's.  He's one out of 53 damn players coached by the greatest coach the league, the sport has ever seen. 

Archived