Super Bowl LIII: Rams vs. Patriots - Poll Added!

DigInBoys

Super Bowl LIII  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• Rams
    • Patriots

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think I'd end up just speaking in generalities. I'm not familiar enough with NE's defensive scheme this year to say much. Speaking in generalities, don't turn the ball over, establish the run, and consistency from Goff would be the most important things on offense. On defense, stop the run, smother the short to intermediate routes, and get interior pressure in Brady's face. Knowing our defensive issues, I imagine we'll show a variety of looks, but you'll see a lot of matchup-zone coverage.

Do you think McVay and Wade have any crucial tendencies that they need to break in order to fool Belichick?

3 hours ago, Xenos said:

Do you think McVay and Wade have any crucial tendencies that they need to break in order to fool Belichick?

I think both are good about breaking tendencies. The one area I'd like to see McVay improve is beating the blitz. We were less effective at it this year. I think Kupp's injury really hurt us there. But McVay will need to have something cooked up if the Patriots go after Goff. With Wade, I'd like to see him come out with a better first quarter gameplan. He's great at in-game adjustments, but our defense tends to start slow.

2 hours ago, KManX89 said:

3rd year QB, 2nd year HC vs. a team playing in their 11th SB (9th under Brady/BB) and a serious chip on their shoulder, I don't see the Rams conceivably winning this one tbh.

The Patriots have a chip on their shoulders? LOL. You're kidding, right? They're not the team who are going to spend two weeks being told they don't belong in the Super Bowl.

45 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The Patriots have a chip on their shoulders? LOL. You're kidding, right? They're not the team who are going to spend two weeks being told they don't belong in the Super Bowl.

Patriots heard all season that they were the worst Patriots team in years, that Brady was declining, that Gronk was declining, that this was one of the most undisciplined Belichick teams ever, that Edelman lost a step, that he defense was slow, etc. The Rams have to hear about a blown call that pretty much everyone on the team agrees to. 

Not that it matters really. People are going to find their slight to motivate them regardless. But all year the Rams heard how they were one of the best teams in the NFL and all year the Patriots heard about how they weren't really contenders. 

33 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Patriots heard all season that they were the worst Patriots team in years, that Brady was declining, that Gronk was declining, that this was one of the most undisciplined Belichick teams ever, that Edelman lost a step, that he defense was slow, etc. The Rams have to hear about a blown call that pretty much everyone on the team agrees to. 

Not that it matters really. People are going to find their slight to motivate them regardless. But all year the Rams heard how they were one of the best teams in the NFL and all year the Patriots heard about how they weren't really contenders. 

But it is true this pats team is less talented than we’re all accustomed to. Rams are so much talented across the board. Gurleys left nut had more talent than Burkhead lol? 

Still you have to favor the pats for being the pats. But if the rams rams show up! This game shouldn’t be close on paper. But games aren’t played on paper. 

5 minutes ago, El ramster said:

But it is true this pats team is less talented than we’re all accustomed to. Rams are so much talented across the board. Gurleys left nut had more talent than Burkhead lol? 

Still you have to favor the pats for being the pats. But if the rams rams show up! This game shouldn’t be close on paper. But games aren’t played on paper. 

Pats rarely are the better team on paper. But I think that's because we overrate name value for skill set. Donald and Suh are huge names. But the Pats have one of the best pass rushes in the league. They don't get a ton of sacks but QB's are always under pressure against them. Gurley's the biggest name as an RB. But Michel/Burkhead/White all can do serious damage and imo they have the superior offensive line. 

Also I think while Cooks and Woods are strong receivers, the Pats defense is built more to neutralize guys like that. Meanwhile the Pats WR corp really does hit the Rams defense in alot of its weaker areas. I can just see them eating up the middle of the field a lot. 

Also as good as Wade is, Wade had an embarassment of riches when coaching the Denver defense. He was able to exploit a much weaker offensive line with  a much stronger pass rush and they had a more stacked secondary to give Brady  confusing looks. This is one of the best OL's the Patriots have had and their are much clearer gaps in that Rams defense for quicker reads. 

Honestly I don't know if this is a much less talented Pats team. I think they've had less consistency in the WR corp and have just started clicking. 

25 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Pats rarely are the better team on paper. But I think that's because we overrate name value for skill set. Donald and Suh are huge names. But the Pats have one of the best pass rushes in the league. They don't get a ton of sacks but QB's are always under pressure against them. Gurley's the biggest name as an RB. But Michel/Burkhead/White all can do serious damage and imo they have the superior offensive line. 

Also I think while Cooks and Woods are strong receivers, the Pats defense is built more to neutralize guys like that. Meanwhile the Pats WR corp really does hit the Rams defense in alot of its weaker areas. I can just see them eating up the middle of the field a lot. 

Also as good as Wade is, Wade had an embarassment of riches when coaching the Denver defense. He was able to exploit a much weaker offensive line with  a much stronger pass rush and they had a more stacked secondary to give Brady  confusing looks. This is one of the best OL's the Patriots have had and their are much clearer gaps in that Rams defense for quicker reads. 

Honestly I don't know if this is a much less talented Pats team. I think they've had less consistency in the WR corp and have just started clicking. 

I was going to respond sarcastically and write off this post because of how dismissive it is of a Rams team that has been clearly better than the Patriots this year, but I should give you a chance to explain. How is the Patriots defense built to neutralize the Rams' passing attack? How does the Patriots' WR corp hit the Rams defense in a lot of its weaker areas?

P.S. You talk about the Patriots not getting a ton of sacks but putting QBs under pressure. Well, the Rams were #1 in the NFL in pressure rate and recorded 11 more sacks this year than the Patriots. So yeah, all that talking about Donald and Suh being names, it looks like our names got results. Also, Mr. Big Name Gurley and the Rams' rushing attack were also better by every statistical measure than the Patriots' rushing attack. Source on pressure rate: https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/03/bills-pass-rush-finishes-regular-season-sixth-in-defensive-pressure-rate/

Archived