Super Bowl LIII: Rams vs. Patriots - Poll Added!

DigInBoys

Super Bowl LIII  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• Rams
    • Patriots

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

To me, the Rams are just more talented than the Patriots are.  I have them winning.

I'm not going to predict a win. The Super Bowl is such a huge stage. I don't know how our guys will handle it. But I agree that the Rams are more talented, and it's not just name value. The Rams were the better team during the regular season. I'm looking forward to seeing what McVay can do on the biggest stage.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I'm not going to predict a win. The Super Bowl is such a huge stage. I don't know how our guys will handle it. But I agree that the Rams are more talented, and it's not just name value. The Rams were the better team during the regular season. I'm looking forward to seeing what McVay can do on the biggest stage.

Yea, that's the big unknown.  How will the Rams coaches and players react to playing on the biggest stage possible.  I think having Wade Philips is going to be big for them as he's been around so long.  And again, I keep saying this, but Talib is huge in that respect as well.  Veteran player who has played in every big game imaginable.  I think the defense will be fine.  The bigger question is the offense, but as long as they play their game they should be fine.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I was going to respond sarcastically and write off this post because of how dismissive it is of a Rams team that has been clearly better than the Patriots this year, but I should give you a chance to explain. How is the Patriots defense built to neutralize the Rams' passing attack? How does the Patriots' WR corp hit the Rams defense in a lot of its weaker areas?

P.S. You talk about the Patriots not getting a ton of sacks but putting QBs under pressure. Well, the Rams were #1 in the NFL in pressure rate and recorded 11 more sacks this year than the Patriots. So yeah, all that talking about Donald and Suh being names, it looks like our names got results. Also, Mr. Big Name Gurley and the Rams' rushing attack were also better by every statistical measure than the Patriots' rushing attack. Source on pressure rate: https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/03/bills-pass-rush-finishes-regular-season-sixth-in-defensive-pressure-rate/

It’s not dismissive of the Rams. I just like a lot of the matchups. 

By your list Patriots are 4th in pressure. I’d rather consistent pressure than one or two sacks a game. Also the Chiefs has a good sack rate and they didn’t get near Brady. Pats offensive line is good. They’ve neutralized Suh before. They’ve made Watt a nonfactor nearly every time they played. This is one of the best offensive lines Brady has ever had. Pats get a ton of pressure on QB’s. You know whose struggled against pressure consistently this year? Goff. 

Pats strength on defense is in pressure and the secondary. The Rams best WR is someone they know well and who struggles against getting jammed at the line. Wouldnt be shocked to see lots of jams and double teams on Cooks with Gilmore on Woods. Then they have respectable run defense. 

As far as the Pats offense, they match up pretty well with the Rams. The Rams really don’t have a strong linebacker Corp. Those slot routes with Edelman and white out of the backfield will be huge. Also the Rams have a poor run defense. Outside the top 20. That’s going to be big with how Michel has been all year and Burkhead. 

It’s going to be a tough game, but I think the Pats are a much more complete team. The Rams were the 2nd best offense all year (the Pats best the best twice) and the Pats are the 4th best. The difference is the Pats are tied for 6th in points against and the Rams are 20.

On paper pretty much every team the Patriots player in the playoffs and a lot of teams they played on the regular season were better on paper. I’m more comcerned about match ups 

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

It’s not dismissive of the Rams. I just like a lot of the matchups. 

By your list Patriots are 4th in pressure. I’d rather consistent pressure than one or two sacks a game. Also the Chiefs has a good sack rate and they didn’t get near Brady. Pats offensive line is good. They’ve neutralized Suh before. They’ve made Watt a nonfactor nearly every time they played. This is one of the best offensive lines Brady has ever had. Pats get a ton of pressure on QB’s. You know whose struggled against pressure consistently this year? Goff. 

Okay, the Pats are 4th in pressure, and the Rams are 1st. You said that we overrate name value. You then called Donald and Suh names and touted the Patriots' pass rush. It's quite clear that Donald and Suh are much more than names. I'm not doubting your OL. Both the Rams and Patriots have top OLs. However, neutralizing Suh "before" isn't the same as neutralizing him now. He has Donald next to him now. You know who has struggled against interior pressure this year? Brady.

Pats strength on defense is in pressure and the secondary. The Rams best WR is someone they know well and who struggles against getting jammed at the line. Wouldnt be shocked to see lots of jams and double teams on Cooks with Gilmore on Woods. Then they have respectable run defense. 

As far as the Pats offense, they match up pretty well with the Rams. The Rams really don’t have a strong linebacker Corp. Those slot routes with Edelman and white out of the backfield will be huge. Also the Rams have a poor run defense. Outside the top 20. That’s going to be big with how Michel has been all year and Burkhead.

It would be nice if you showed some consistency. Both the Rams and Pats have shut down opposing rushing attacks in the playoffs (2.7 YPC for NE and 2.3 YPC for LA). Both the Rams and Pats had bad run defenses during the regular season (4.9 YPC for NE and 5.1 YPC for LA). If the Rams have a poor run defense, the Pats have a poor run defense. Difference is that the Rams have the better run offense.

As for knowing Cooks well, so what? The Saints knew him well too. He still burnt them for 100+ yards in both meetings. You're welcome to double Cooks, but your team has been torched this year by talented receiving HBs. Well, we have Todd Gurley. You've also had issues with athletic slot TE types. Well, we have Gerald Everett. We also have the ability to make it very difficult for you to jam our WRs at the LOS with our motion, tight splits, and bunch sets. Further, Gilmore is a great CB, but his skill-set isn't an ideal matchup for Robert Woods.

Finally, you talk about our defense. The strength of your passing game being in the slot is actually quite good for us. NRC is one of the best slot CBs in the NFL. He's been our most consistent CB this year outside of a healthy Talib. HBs have given us problems when Wade hasn't tried to take them out of the game, but when he has made an effort to account for them, he's been able to shut them down with in-game adjustments. That happened in both games against NO after Kamara had success. We'll see what he has planned.

It’s going to be a tough game, but I think the Pats are a much more complete team. The Rams were the 2nd best offense all year (the Pats best the best twice) and the Pats are the 4th best. The difference is the Pats are tied for 6th in points against and the Rams are 20.

Yet, the Rams' defense has outperformed the Pats' defense in the playoffs. And the Rams' defense has been a completely different unit when Aqib Talib has played. Simply put, the Rams are the better team. The results this year show that. However, the Pats are experienced in moments like this. The Rams are not. Brady is experienced in moments like this. Goff is not. That could be the deciding factor.

7 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

The Chargers and Chiefs are a lot more talented too...

That's what they say. But when you dive deep into the roster it's not that drastic of a difference.

QB is obvious but the Patriots might have the best and most versatile RB rotation with a great pure down hill runner with great speed, possibly the best pass catching RB and another versatile RB as 3rd string, the 2nd all-time leading WR in postseason history in receptions, the best KR in the league, the best blocking TE in the league and still among the best TEs in the game and an amazing OL that has not allowed a sack in the season. That's just on offense.

On defense the Patriots got one of the best DEs in the game, one of the best safeties and one if not the best CB in the NFL. Van Noy will be the best LB in the Super Bowl.

The Patriots aren't in the SB because of some magic. They are because they are performing up to their talent level this postseason. They didn't during the regular season.

7 hours ago, SBLIII said:

That's what they say. But when you dive deep into the roster it's not that drastic of a difference.

QB is obvious but the Patriots might have the best and most versatile RB rotation with a great pure down hill runner with great speed, possibly the best pass catching RB and another versatile RB as 3rd string, the 2nd all-time leading WR in postseason history in receptions, the best KR in the league, the best blocking TE in the league and still among the best TEs in the game and an amazing OL that has not allowed a sack in the season. That's just on offense.

On defense the Patriots got one of the best DEs in the game, one of the best safeties and one if not the best CB in the NFL. Van Noy will be the best LB in the Super Bowl.

The Patriots aren't in the SB because of some magic. They are because they are performing up to their talent level this postseason. They didn't during the regular season.

Having a versatile RB rotation doesn't make it the best. Give me one back who is great at everything over three backs who are great at one thing. I'm taking Gurley and C.J. Anderson over the Pats' HB rotation. 

I'm most excited to see the adjustments and coaching battle of this game. Belichick and McVay are the two best in the league at adjusting on the fly and taking what the other team is giving you. While it could lead to some over coaching and thinking, it's going to be fun to watch from a schematic standpoint.

Do the Patriots play a ton of man with all McVay's rub routes, misdirection, motions, etc? Or do they go with an out of character, zone game plan?

Does Wade Phillips stick with Cover 3, or does he go with man (which he has done in the past against Brady)?

A ton of an interesting match-ups to watch in this one, especially for football lovers like us on this forum. Defensively, I think the Patriots should put Gilmore on woods on an island, double Cooks -with a concept similar to they used against Hill- Jones + McCourty, and let J.C. Jackson cover Reynolds. I could see them putting J.C. Jackson on Cooks 1v1 as well, since he's so good at jamming at the line and is excellent tracking the ball deep. 

Biggest concern for the Patriots defensively will be Gurley and the Rams stretch runs and defending him as a receiver out of the backfield. I'm not sure they have the personnel to stop it, but I'll never doubt BB's game-planning. 

Oddly enough, I hope the Patriots attack the Rams like I think the Rams should attack the Patriots. Runs to the outside -away from Donald and Suh- with some end arounds to Edelman and Patterson mixed in. Run at Peters. He does not like to get physical. I think he's who Brady will attack in the air as well.

I think this game ultimately will come down to the Patriot's experience on this stage, and they win in a close one -because, duh, it's a Patriot's SB. I see Goff struggling early/looking flustered, and then adjustments are made and he turns it on late. 31-28, Patriots.

40 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Obviously I'll be rooting for the Rams, but most of all I just hope the game is as entertaining as last year's Super Bowl.

Or the one before that. Or 2014. Or any of the others.

Every Patriots Superbowl has been exciting to the last snap. I wouldn't mind a boring one this time around. The others have significantly shortened my life.

2 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Or the one before that. Or 2014. Or any of the others.

Every Patriots Superbowl has been exciting to the last snap. I wouldn't mind a boring one this time around. The others have significantly shortened my life.

It would be nice if the Patriots would score their first 1st quarter TD in a SB in the TB/BB era.

Archived