Super Bowl LIII: New England Patriots (11-5) vs St. Louis Rams (13-3)

Elky

Thanks to numbers PatsPulpit put out, I was able to find the WAR in pass coverage for several Pats defenders (remember, my WAR model is "WAR accrued as a team when a player is the target of a pass or touches the ball - or in this case, their receiver is the target of a pass"):

New England Patriots WAR Report
Patriots Pass Coverage WAR Leaders
CB Stephon Gilmore +0.17
CB Jason McCourty +0.02
FS Devin McCourty +0.02
LB Kyle Van Noy +0.01
LB Dont'a Hightower +0.01
CB J.C. Jackson +0.01
SS Patrick Chung +0.01
LB Albert McClellan +0.01
CB Jonathan Jones 0.00

It's obviously a pretty good day for your defense when nobody in coverage surrendered a WAR low enough to round to -0.01 (Jones' was around -0.003) against a team that averaged 30 points per game. Gilmore's INT makes up for a good portion of the team's +0.26 pass defense WAR in SBLIII.

The Rams’ offense gave the Patriots’ defense a big advantage in Super Bowl LIII by running exactly what New England was expecting. That’s the word from Patriots linebacker Kyle Van Noy, who said on Pardon My Take that he was shocked by the way the Rams did everything the Patriots had prepared for, and never tried to surprise them by trying something different.

Van Noy: “I couldn’t believe that, they really didn’t do one wrinkle. I was like, ‘What the hell?’ They’ve got so many good players. They’ve got so many things they’ve done all year, and the one play they gave us which was a wrinkle was the Brandin Cooks screen that hit for a little bit. And that was it.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/15/kyle-van-noy-couldnt-believe-rams-didnt-try-anything-different/

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The Rams’ offense gave the Patriots’ defense a big advantage in Super Bowl LIII by running exactly what New England was expecting. That’s the word from Patriots linebacker Kyle Van Noy, who said on Pardon My Take that he was shocked by the way the Rams did everything the Patriots had prepared for, and never tried to surprise them by trying something different.

Van Noy: “I couldn’t believe that, they really didn’t do one wrinkle. I was like, ‘What the hell?’ They’ve got so many good players. They’ve got so many things they’ve done all year, and the one play they gave us which was a wrinkle was the Brandin Cooks screen that hit for a little bit. And that was it.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/15/kyle-van-noy-couldnt-believe-rams-didnt-try-anything-different/

A matter of the stage being too big for McVay.

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

A matter of the stage being too big for McVay.

He has a young team, and an inexperienced QB. It's possible he thought he would play it safe and stick with what they knew, rather than try something unfamiliar on the big stage.

A terrible plan against a Patriots defense, but you can see the thought process at least.

Archived