Super Bowl LIII: New England Patriots (11-5) vs St. Louis Rams (13-3)

Elky

33 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

also, how many organs do I have to donate for the pats to finally win a SB comfortably? why does it always have to boil down to the last drive. -_-

According to my model, this one probably won't be any different than usual:

New England (51.1%) 30-29 Los Angeles

MVP: Tom Brady

I'm hoping for a blowout, but I'd take that ^ too.

The game should come down to containing two players - Donald and Gurley. If either of them have a big game, the Pats lose. Obviously Suh and Goff can win it for them, but containing the primary threats is vital.

Offensively they should do what they did against the chiefs, run. A lot. Run right at Donald even. He’s brilliant, but Wade gives him room to improvise, and that means potentially lax gap discipline. Run and run and run, and I’m including dump off passes to White as “runs” in that scenario. Tire the line out. Then hit them with play action.

Defensively,  shut down Gurley. The Rams passing game lives off play-action (something like 35% of passes), so kill the run to undercut PA. 

In the secondary, it’s a Buffallo reunion, Gilmore can handle Woods 1v1. Then you bracket Cooks, all day. He’s smaller than most of the Pats CBS so bully him, hit him at the line to throw off the timing and then double him down the field. Trust the longer DBs to contest any 50/50 balls.

Going to be a great game, I think. Already nervous. Slow two weeks coming up.

20 hours ago, Starless said:

Shaq Mason was the best guard in the league this year.

He's staking his reputation on his ability to contain Aaron Donald.

That's going to be the battle that decides this game. 

Remember when we had no clue who the starting LT would be and we weren’t sure who would start where? Scar’s is easily the best offensive line coach in the NFL imo. Shaq has trained with the best.

5 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

The game should come down to containing two players - Donald and Gurley. If either of them have a big game, the Pats lose. Obviously Suh and Goff can win it for them, but containing the primary threats is vital.

Offensively they should do what they did against the chiefs, run. A lot. Run right at Donald even. He’s brilliant, but Wade gives him room to improvise, and that means potentially lax gap discipline. Run and run and run, and I’m including dump off passes to White as “runs” in that scenario. Tire the line out. Then hit them with play action.

Defensively,  shut down Gurley. The Rams passing game lives off play-action (something like 35% of passes), so kill the run to undercut PA. 

In the secondary, it’s a Buffallo reunion, Gilmore can handle Woods 1v1. Then you bracket Cooks, all day. He’s smaller than most of the Pats CBS so bully him, hit him at the line to throw off the timing and then double him down the field. Trust the longer DBs to contest any 50/50 balls.

Going to be a great game, I think. Already nervous. Slow two weeks coming up.

Cooks you know and can treat like Tyreek Hill with either Jonathan Jones or JC Jackson with the other covering Josh Reynolds as best they can. Meanwhile stick Gilmore on Woods and hopefully contain him.

Not to be underestimated either will be Patriots Chung, Van Noy, Hightower and Roberts matched up against the Rams tight ends, Everett and ... the other guy, Higbee, who is decent at blocking/YAC.

Hopefully Anderson and Gurley can be contained while the coverage holds up and the pass rush gets home. Goff will be forced to extend plays where he is underrated and probably his best individually as a player if he didn't have McVay to help him along.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

@Starless how about David Andrews to contain Donald and Suh too? Brockers v Trent Brown/Cannon will be a doozy too.

CJ Anderson concerns me almost as much as Gurley but less so than if Cooper Kupp were healthy and active.

I was actually corrected by some Rams fans. I guess Donald typically lines up against the LG, which means it'll probably be a double-team of Thuney and Andrews working on him. Mason will nonetheless have his hands full with Suh one-on-one. 

1 hour ago, Starless said:

I was actually corrected by some Rams fans. I guess Donald typically lines up against the LG, which means it'll probably be a double-team of Thuney and Andrews working on him. Mason will nonetheless have his hands full with Suh one-on-one. 

runningtheballshouldntbeanissue.

10 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

@Starless how about David Andrews to contain Donald and Suh too? Brockers v Trent Brown/Cannon will be a doozy too.

CJ Anderson concerns me almost as much as Gurley but less so than if Cooper Kupp were healthy and active.

I'm always scared when we have to defend against fatty RBs tbh. 

A thought occured while watching the AFCCG, did some research and it turns out:

Tom Brady has MORE touchdowns, yards, wins and rushing yards than his ENTIRE rest of his draft class....combined. Maybe not surprising, just bulk stats. But Brady also has FEWER losses and interceptions.

In short, Brady is great and the 2000 QB draft class sucked.

Archived