Super Bowl LIII - Rams vs Patriots

RamRod

1 minute ago, NVRamsFan said:

It was close enough that you know I'm right. Patriot fans if that was Suh hitting him would have lost their cookies. 

I have no skin in the game so it wouldn’t matter to me. If he had stepped out before the hit then that’s one thing but we hadn’t yet when contact was made. 

14 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Goff was in bounds on that hit. He hadn’t stepped out and that call was correct. The holding was ticky tacky though.

This is correct.  I genuinely didn't see how they could have called Sullivan for holding on the Gurley run, but I did see where there could have been an argument for an uncalled chop-block on that same play.

Similarly, on the 4th quarter deep-shot in the end zone to Cooks, there's a legitimate case for a PI call, as Cooks' left arm was clearly held down and unable to be brought up to the ball, but if I'm being honest, I wouldn't expect any referee to make that call at that stage of the Super Bowl but maybe less than 1% of the time.

The one that' still has me confused is how you can call a false-start on the QB, since false-starts that don't involve entry into the neutral zone are supposed to be against players who are supposed to come set before the snap, so far as I know (because Peyton and several others were allowed to get away with this for years), that doesn't include the QB because he's off the LOS.

I thought Goff was giving himself up on that hit. I didnt understand that as being a non-call especially if the league is so bent on protecting the QB. Had that been Brady, Brees, ARod I think thats a flag because they are high profile QBs that the league cant afford to lose if he gets hit hard and hurt while giving himself up running out of bounds.

I also didnt understand the penalty of NRC on Edelman. How was Edelman a defenseless receiver when he caught the ball and got hit straight up? If he didnt get hit he wouldve ran and got yards after the catch. 

I also agree that penalty on Sullivan was so ticky tac. 

In general though the Patriots made more plays than the Rams and they won the game. This is a learning experience for the Rams, especially McVay. I think the next time he gets a chance to play in the Superbowl we will see him be better. If we are sticking with the LA theme, LeBron didnt do anything in his first NBA Finals. He also didnt do anything in his first year with the Big 3. They fell flat on their faces to the Mavs. So it happens even to the great players and teams their first go around. Im confident the Rams will be back and better than ever the next time they get a chance to play in the Superbowl. 

4 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I thought Goff was giving himself up on that hit. I didnt understand that as being a non-call especially if the league is so bent on protecting the QB. Had that been Brady, Brees, ARod I think thats a flag because they are high profile QBs that the league cant afford to lose if he gets hit hard and hurt while giving himself up running out of bounds.

I also didnt understand the penalty of NRC on Edelman. How was Edelman a defenseless receiver when he caught the ball and got hit straight up? If he didnt get hit he wouldve ran and got yards after the catch. 

I also agree that penalty on Sullivan was so ticky tac. 

In general though the Patriots made more plays than the Rams and they won the game. This is a learning experience for the Rams, especially McVay. I think the next time he gets a chance to play in the Superbowl we will see him be better. If we are sticking with the LA theme, LeBron didnt do anything in his first NBA Finals. He also didnt do anything in his first year with the Big 3. They fell flat on their faces to the Mavs. So it happens even to the great players and teams their first go around. Im confident the Rams will be back and better than ever the next time they get a chance to play in the Superbowl. 

The hit was on Burkhead not Edelman but that was a terrible call. Ended up being pretty inconsequential because of the miss by Gostkowski.

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

This is correct.  I genuinely didn't see how they could have called Sullivan for holding on the Gurley run, but I did see where there could have been an argument for an uncalled chop-block on that same play.

Similarly, on the 4th quarter deep-shot in the end zone to Cooks, there's a legitimate case for a PI call, as Cooks' left arm was clearly held down and unable to be brought up to the ball, but if I'm being honest, I wouldn't expect any referee to make that call at that stage of the Super Bowl but maybe less than 1% of the time.

The one that' still has me confused is how you can call a false-start on the QB, since false-starts that don't involve entry into the neutral zone are supposed to be against players who are supposed to come set before the snap, so far as I know (because Peyton and several others were allowed to get away with this for years), that doesn't include the QB because he's off the LOS.

I think they changed the rule to disallow the QB from making quick movements because Rodgers was using his hands to get defenders to jump. But yeah, that holding call was terrible. Still, we had plenty of time to overcome it.

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I think they changed the rule to disallow the QB from making quick movements because Rodgers was using his hands to get defenders to jump. But yeah, that holding call was terrible. Still, we had plenty of time to overcome it.

That they changed any rule to benefit the defense at the expense of a QB simply astounds me.

44 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

I have no skin in the game so it wouldn’t matter to me. If he had stepped out before the hit then that’s one thing but we hadn’t yet when contact was made. 

I don't think you're reading what I said or you are taking something I said and thinking I'm implying something else. I never said it was a dirty hit. I said if it was Brady he'd have gotten the call. And if that hit had been on Brady the poop would have hit the fan. 

8 hours ago, DistantRam said:

Nice knowing you all but I’m quitting the NFL. 

I’m not dedicating any of my time or money to a game that is clearly fixed. 

Peace. 

Are you talking about the Saints game ? If you are you are correct.

I am baffled on how we used Gurley in the passing game, if it s true that he was 100%. I thought this one was solely on McVay. He got woefully out coached in a very winnable game. Need Cooks to catch one of those 2 balls.

Ultimately it still bothers me that Sully got called for a hold. Maybe I missed it on the replay but it looked like a phantom call in a game that was the definition of "let them play". We were finally getting something together and that killed momentum. 

On 2/1/2019 at 4:44 PM, LARams91 said:

For some reason I feel it's close until halftime and we really pull away. That or a first quarter turnover early that gets momentum on our side. Lets go!

Well, I nailed it on both. Just was a bit off on who pulled away....

Why are people saying Goff played so badly? I mean he wasn't slinging it but he was making some good throws I thought. 

I mean the dude didn't have Gurley. If Cooks catches that ball I think we singing a different song.

This one hurts boys....i forgot how much losing the Superbowl sucks...last time Brady beat us I was 16....at least I had booze this time...

I said before the game we were the more talented team with just as good of a coaching staff. The only way we lose is showing our inexperience and that's what happened. Goff wasn't getting passed his first read and knew where he wanted to put the ball before he even snapped it. Gurley never got going. McVay went back to pass happy when it was 3-3 with under 5min left.

Our defense played lights out for most of the game. Credit to Wade Phillips. Besides Wade, we got out coached and shrunk in the moment offensively. Rams will be back next year with a deep playoff run. Time to turn to the offseason. I think vets and FA's will be willing to take less money to come play with us now which is exciting.

Archived