Dak, the QB of the future or not.

resilient part 2

Dak, the QB of the future or NOT  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Has Dak shown enough to make Dak our QB going forward, OR NOT!

• definitely has shown enough promise to build around
    • NO he sucks and Dallas needs to find his replacement.

15 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

If you fully intend to move on from him after that, sure. Otherwise you’re only further screwed

Is there no in between? We cant use the next two seasons to help decide?  He has a new OC now. If our offense cant get out of the mid 20s in passing over the next two years through 2 different OCs, then maybe it wasn't just SLs fault? And moving on from that isn't such a loss. If he DOES turn out to be great then yeah we may have to sign him to an even larger contract, but it's okay because we have a great QB. 

Seems like a dumb risk to just assume he will be great eventually so let's ink him now before his price goes up.

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

Is there no in between? We cant use the next two seasons to help decide?  He has a new OC now. If our offense cant get out of the mid 20s in passing over the next two years through 2 different OCs, then maybe it wasn't just SLs fault? And moving on from that isn't such a loss. If he DOES turn out to be great then yeah we may have to sign him to an even larger contract, but it's okay because we have a great QB. 

Seems like a dumb risk to just assume he will be great eventually so let's ink him now before his price goes up.

I think it’s a dumb risk to assume he’ll get any better at all and then pay him $35M per year instead of $30M. He is who he is

Given the fact that we are going to re-sign him it would be prudent to do so now before Wilson, Wentz, Goff, etc

3 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I think it’s a dumb risk to assume he’ll get any better at all and then pay him $35M per year instead of $30M. He is who he is

Given the fact that we are going to re-sign him it would be prudent to do so now before Wilson, Wentz, Goff, etc

He might get better if we ran him more. Of course that wont help our passing stats, but it would help our offense move the ball. It sounds like you agree that he shouldn't be signed. I guess if we are going to sign him no matter what then sure the sooner the better. 

I still hold out hope that they let him play for $2M this year and see what happens. 

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

He might get better if we ran him more. Of course that wont help our passing stats, but it would help our offense move the ball. It sounds like you agree that he shouldn't be signed. I guess if we are going to sign him no matter what then sure the sooner the better. 

I still hold out hope that they let him play for $2M this year and see what happens. 

I’m mixed tbh. Don’t trust our team to go into the wilderness at the QB position. Don’t see Dak ever being more than a middle-of-the-road passer. It’s a tough call.

I personally tend to think that Garrett not getting an extension is about as strong of an endorsement of Dak as we can give. IMO the only thing that could break up Jerry’s love for Jason is Jerry’s love for his QB. Ultimately, Garrett couldn’t get it done with Romo, and you can argue he’s having an even worse effect on Dak. At least with Romo the two had symbiosis, since he was a textbook gunslinger who needed to be reined in at times. With Dak, Garrett’s conservatism just plays into his worse tendencies. On some level the Joneses know that that tandem just isn’t going to work. I guess that’s kind of a pet theory, but until Dak takes the first snap in Week 1 without an extension I’m going to assume he’s getting one.

With Fowles getting 22 I figure if Dak has a solid 23 - 24 TD 6 more rushing and less then 14 interceptions in the high 60’s comp percent then I figure he’s proved his worth at the 28-30 range 4-5 years maybe 40 guarrented

3 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Correct. I figured this was the obvious thought for everyone.

Most people see two QBs of the same skill level, which is why you figured wrong.

Edit: the Staff is all in on Dak though so you are probably right. But I'm an optimist, and I hope they wait till next year to extend him.

Edited by DaBoys

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Most people see two QBs of the same skill level, which is why you figured wrong.

Edit: the Staff is all in on Dak though so you are probably right. But I'm an optimist, and I hope they wait till next year to extend him.

They'd be dumb to wait.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, D82 said:

They'd be dumb to wait.

I don't see it that way. I see an opportunity to pay Dak $16M over the next two years while we see what he can do with his 2nd OC. If he turns out to be great(which he has not been) then a larger contract won't matter much because we have a great QB. If not then we can cut ties. What's dumb is to pay the same QB $60m over the next two seasons hoping he turns out to be something that he hasn't been. The hope that Dak matches his top 5 QB contract with his play is more far fetched than my hope that the Cowboys wait to extend him.

7 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

What's dumb is to pay the same QB $60m over the next two seasons hoping he turns out to be something that he hasn't been. The hope that Dak matches his top 5 QB contract with his play is more far fetched than my hope that the Cowboys wait to extend him.

He has played like a franchise QB. He deserves to be paid like a franchise QB. If we extend him now at $30m/yr for 5 years, it would be an average annual value of ~$25m including this year. 

That would pay him tied for 8th. And in two years, it would be more like ~10-15th. So at no point will he be a top 5 paid QB. You can rest easy at night. 

Edited by Matts4313

12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

He has played like a franchise QB. He deserves to be paid like a franchise QB. If we extend him now at $30m/yr for 5 years, it would be an average annual value of ~$25m including this year. 

That would pay him tied for 8th. And in two years, it would be more like ~10-15th. So at no point will he be a top 5 paid QB. You can rest easy at night. 

$30m per year is top 3. So he'll immediately be top 5, and then you can rest easy.

Edited by DaBoys