Dak, the QB of the future or not.

resilient part 2

Dak, the QB of the future or NOT  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Has Dak shown enough to make Dak our QB going forward, OR NOT!

• definitely has shown enough promise to build around
    • NO he sucks and Dallas needs to find his replacement.

4 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

If he performs this year and wins a SB then I will say it was all SL holding him back along with the rest of the offense. Then go ahead and pay him. If not, lets look to the draft for a potential replacement.

I don't need him to win the superbowl. I just need him to play better. It doesn't matter if we win the superbowl on the legs of Elliott and a great defense. That's the thing. The Cowboys record isn't a direct reflection of how Dak played. Everyone cites the cowboys win loss record as a stat for Dak. It doesn't work like that. Scott Linehan has the same record. Jeff Heath has the same record. You have to evaluate individual performance, not blindly credit the QB.

If Dak plays like 2015 Cam Newton I don't care if we miss the playoffs entirely. I'll realize it was Scott Linehan holding him back, and we should pay him/I would be happy we already did.

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I don't need him to win the superbowl. I just need him to play better. It doesn't matter if we win the superbowl on the legs of Elliott and a great defense. That's the thing. The Cowboys record isn't a direct reflection of how Dak played. Everyone cites the cowboys win loss record as a stat for Dak. It doesn't work like that. Scott Linehan has the same record. Jeff Heath has the same record. You have to evaluate individual performance, not blindly credit the QB.

If Dak plays like 2015 Cam Newton I don't care if we miss the playoffs entirely. I'll realize it was Scott Linehan holding him back, and we should pay him/I would be happy we already did.

Well I do. I could maybe be convinced he's the answer he proves he is part of the solution. I don't need gaudy stats, I need Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady results. If that happens and we still lose I think I could be ok with it more.

21 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Well I do. I could maybe be convinced he's the answer he proves he is part of the solution. I don't need gaudy stats, I need Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady results. If that happens and we still lose I think I could be ok with it more.

Brady and ARod have put up their fair share of gaudy stats. I don't care how you feel about the word "stats," It isn't a bad thing to have a ship load of TDs. It isn't bad to have measurable production. If Dak throws 58 TDs and 3 INTs and we miss the playoffs for other reasons I'm not holding it against him. If we win the Superbowl and he has 3 TDs and 53 INTs on the year then I'm not paying him. I judge him based on how HE performs. 

Edited by DaBoys

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/6/28/18761646/cowboys-news-should-cowboys-be-wary-of-paying-dak-prescott-top-dollar

"Why the Cowboys should be wary about giving Dak Prescott a record-setting deal | Eric Eager & George Chahrouri | Pro Football Focus

PFF data scientists Eric Eager and George Chahrouri explain why the Dallas Cowboys should exercise caution when it comes to extending QB Dak Prescott.

PRESCOTT RELATIVE TO OTHER QUARTERBACKS

While Dak has been impressive with respect to his draft position and was very much a plus player in Year 1, he has struggled to keep pace with a league that’s maintaining and cultivating brilliance at the position like never before. In the most predictive aspect of quarterback play, the ability to avoid throws graded negatively by us at PFF, Prescott was 25th among qualifying quarterbacks a season ago. He was an average passer from a clean pocket (18th in PFF grade), despite an average depth of target below 7.5 yards — a full yard lower than in his rookie season of 2016. All of this led the Dallas signal-caller to earn only the 19th-best wins above replacement among all players at the position in 2018.

The 19th-most valuable player at a position likely should not be earning a top-dollar deal, especially with the narrative being that said player is enhanced by the presence of surrounding talent, to which there will be less money to appropriate post-Dak contract. That said, with the coming retirements of Tom Brady(fourth in WAR last year), Drew Brees(second), Phillip Rivers (sixth) and Ben Roethlisberger(16th), would a reversion back to his rookie-year efficiency be a big enough leap to justify a top-level deal for a player who would, in that event, be in the top eight at his position? If you’re in support of a new, market-level deal for Prescott, this is the logic you’re going to have to follow."

So if he reverts back into his 2016 self, and all the old elite QBs retire, AND no other rookie or 1st year QBs leap frog him again..... then he COULD be the 8th best QB.

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Brady and ARod have put up their fair share of gaudy stats. I don't care how you feel about the word "stats," It isn't a bad thing to have a ship load of TDs. It isn't bad to have measurable production. If Dak throws 58 TDs and 3 INTs and we miss the playoffs for other reasons I'm not holding it against him. If we win the Superbowl and he has 3 TDs and 53 INTs on the year then I'm not paying him. I judge him based on how HE performs. 

Gaudy stats that meant nothing in the end to Cam who choked away the Panthers chance at a SB. If he is the X-Factor in our season, meaning he has officially shown to be the most important person on the team then its justified.

Technically Dak put up pretty good numbers in that Rams game but pretty much choked away the game by not even being able to deliver on simple passes to extend the drive. People want to keep bringing up the DT, but sometimes sh!t like that happens and Dak who was both healthy and well couldn't execute. So yes Rodgers and Brady have had gaudy stats on their resume but the most important plays came on a few drives at the end of the season.

This team right now is technically better then it was last season in terms of talent roster. There is no way we should miss the playoffs, and if we do JG should be gone but nearly just as important is to look at the roster and see who is going where and if Dak hasn't shown to be on the up and up in crunch time like we needed him to be last year then we need to think about possibly moving on.

3 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I need Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady results.

Aaron Rodgers is arguably the most talented QB in the history of the league. In his last 30 games against teams with a winning record, he is 5-25. 

He puts up gaudy stats. And he loses to any team thats good. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Aaron Rodgers is arguably the most talented QB in the history of the league. In his last 30 games against teams with a winning record, he is 5-25. 

He puts up gaudy stats. And he loses to any team thats good. 

I wish he'd start losing to us.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 11:45 PM, Calvert28 said:

Dak is good enough to where we can win with him. But more often then not we won't win because of him.

But I still want to draft competition. Competition never hurts.

That's an excellent way to sum it up.  I agree with this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Northland said:

What we need to do is improve our backup QB position.   If Dak goes down we have trouble with a capital T.

To be fair we don't really know that. Obviously It's likely true and easy to assume, but we have never seen these guys in a real game. We were supposed to be in trouble in 2016 when Romo went down. You just never know.

Cooper Rush had a very similar rookie preseason that Dak had in '16. 

Daks amazing rookie preseason: 39 of 50(78%) -- 454 yards -- 7 total TDs -- 0 picks

Cooper Rushs' rookie Preseason: 38 of 51(74.5%) -- 398 yards -- 6 TDs -- 0 picks

We are such a run first team, and have such talent outside the QB position that it's not impossible for another QB to come in and replicate Daks 2018 average of 261 total yards and 1.75 total TDs per game. Those aren't irreplaceable numbers. Those are Case Keenum numbers.

Edited by DaBoys

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/7/2/19102857/cowboys-dak-prescott-extension-is-he-worth-it-or-good

This is an extremely well written article. Includes some good Sturm quotes. In a way it's about the state of the franchise more than Dak, but very well encapsulates what makes him such a divisive player. Worth a read.

"Cowboys fans may see him as a kind of quarterback purgatory—not good enough to win a Super Bowl but good enough to ensure the team won’t replace him."

7 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

"Cowboys fans may see him as a kind of quarterback purgatory—not good enough to win a Super Bowl but good enough to ensure the team won’t replace him."

I just dont get it. Looking at the top Qbs  playing or ever to play in their first 3 years don't give me reason to believe this. In every playoff game he's played in he was the best player on the cowboys hands down. So you can blame coaching, defense or even the running game, but when games matter he puts up.

Just ask yourself if our defense played the way they did against Green Bay does Russell Wilson still Win if he was Qb for the Cowboys that game?

2 hours ago, eagles suck said:

I just dont get it. Looking at the top Qbs  playing or ever to play in their first 3 years don't give me reason to believe this. In every playoff game he's played in he was the best player on the cowboys hands down. So you can blame coaching, defense or even the running game, but when games matter he puts up.

Just ask yourself if our defense played the way they did against Green Bay does Russell Wilson still Win if he was Qb for the Cowboys that game?

I don’t wanna be the “Romo would’ve never gone down 21-3!” guy, but that Green Bay defense was worse* than ours. There’s a reason they got run off the field the week after.

Edited by matt79511