footbull3196

Is the Saints window closed?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Saints window closed?

• Yes
    • No, but it’s only open next year
    • No, and it’s open multiple years into the future

8 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I think they have 1 more real year with this core. Their key is if they can get some real threats around Michael Thomas (legit WR 2-3, good TE). I don't think you can count on MVP Brees anymore to carry the offense but his smarts should get him one more season.

Problem is, it’s all gonna have to be through FA. They mortgaged their future like crazy for this year. They’ve got a late 2nd round pick then nothing until the 5th. 

Unfortunately I do think their window has closed. That offense was just not all that good in the last seven games. Lacked explosiveness and do think Brees arm is starting to show big signs of decline. That defense on the other hand was really good in the last half of the season and youngsters like Davenport should only improve. So maybe I should take back what I said and give the Saints more respect. If they can some how add another play maker opposite of Thomas and the defense continues to improve, they may have another legitimate shot at the SB. 

So yeah, I'll change my mind and say they have one more season left before the Brees era window is 

The Saints really need to add a receiver opposite of Michael Thomas.  Thomas is amazing.  Alvin Kamara is amazing.  But that's it.  That team severely lacks talent outside of those two players.  If you can take both of those guys away, the Saints almost have nothing offensively.  Granted, it's impossible for most teams to do that, but the top teams can. 

I called before the playoffs started that if you take away Thomas and Kamara the Saints offense would struggle big time.  Yesterday, Thomas was completely taken out of the game by the Rams.  Kamara had a great game as a receiver, but several of his catches came in a certain period of the game.  After that, Kamara was neutralized pretty well.

If they can somehow add another really talented consistent weapon through the draft then they'll be right back.

46 minutes ago, showtime said:

The Saints really need to add a receiver opposite of Michael Thomas.  Thomas is amazing.  Alvin Kamara is amazing.  But that's it.  That team severely lacks talent outside of those two players.  If you can take both of those guys away, the Saints almost have nothing offensively.  Granted, it's impossible for most teams to do that, but the top teams can. 

I called before the playoffs started that if you take away Thomas and Kamara the Saints offense would struggle big time.  Yesterday, Thomas was completely taken out of the game by the Rams.  Kamara had a great game as a receiver, but several of his catches came in a certain period of the game.  After that, Kamara was neutralized pretty well.

If they can somehow add another really talented consistent weapon through the draft then they'll be right back.

They tried to find a #2 they just haven't been able to.

Signed Meredith, but he's been injured or too inept to see the field, though ineptness might be an injury of it's own.

Drafted Tre'Quan Smith who has been inconsistent with some great flashes and then just disappears.

Signed Dez Bryant who's Achilles blows up in practice.

Signed another aging but experienced WR who didn't make it through the week of practice.

Ginn was hurt for most of the season.

Like not much more they can really do when most other players are locked up or cost too much to sign.

Maybe there will be someone in the 2nd round the Saints can target at WR or TE.

The Saints have a lot of young players.  The window probably comes down to how long Brees can play effectively.  If I were them, I would try to get Teddy Bridgewater some action here and there next season and see if they can get him ready for the transition when Brees retires.  If they can do that, their window could be open for quite a while. 

Luckily they have the GOAT RB Alvin Kamara for the foreseeable future. Once they start feeding him the pill more in the run game they probably won't lose a game again, regardless of who else is on that roster.

They'll contend again next year, but that window is closing in 2020. I don't think they'll be an abomination after Brees is done, but they'll most certainly plummett out of championship contender range.

I think they will compete. But I don't like the things they are saying after the game. Saying we will never get over this closes some windows in my opinion. While football is a game in the NFL its a job and its hard to go to work when some one else gets the promotion you thought should have been yours. That was the feeling I got from listening to the players and Sean Payton. 

Archived