Is the Saints Window Closed?

footbull3196

Is the Saints window closed?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Saints window closed?

• Yes
    • No, but it’s only open next year
    • No, and it’s open multiple years into the future

It's gonna be the same story next year if we don't get some depth at oline.  Armstead always goes down, and guys always get banged up and shuffled around.  We need to be able to replace Armstead better than we have been.  I don't expect the same level of production, but the difference is night and day.

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

They’ve got the ammo to trade up for a top 10-15 pick.

They do? They have no first, no third and no forth round pick. The only way they have the ammo to trade into the to 15 is by trading an important piece of their current roster, which would sort of defeat the purpose. 

Just now, Forge said:

They do? They have no first, no third and no forth round pick. The only way they have the ammo to trade into the to 15 is by trading an important piece of their current roster, which would sort of defeat the purpose. 

Won’t they get comp picks?

1 hour ago, Roninho said:

I understand that, but QB >>>>> CB by a lot. Would have been a Favre/Rodgers kind of situation though, Mahomes might not have seen the field by now in that situation.

I agree normally, but considering we've had a 1st ballot HOFer and have numerous 7-9 seasons in a row because our defense, specifically CBs have been dog poop and putting up NFL worst performances, I think its pretty close for the Saints.  

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

They have 1 year left and SHOULD trade up for a QB of the future this year or it’s gonna get ugly.

What ammo?  We have a late 2nd round pick and then like a 5th round pick.  At best we try next year and look to suck in 2020 for TL unless we want to try for Tua or whoever in 2020 draft and trade up for them.

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

They have 1 year left and SHOULD trade up for a QB of the future this year or it’s gonna get ugly.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

A top 15 pick probably still puts them 5th behind NYG, JAX, DEN (now going without Kubiak as OC but instead the SF QBC tells me we're diving into this mess - ugh) and WAS all in the top 13 picks (and DEN at #10).   

Given the lack of a 1st, 3rd and 4th, I don't really see the fit to move up.  It's not enough to get even a top 3 guy - and frankly, it's very thin at the top this year.   A developmental QB might be a 2nd round pick and might only be 10-20 percent riskier than the 3rd-4th QB taken this year in Rd1.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

Won’t they get comp picks?

For who?  We didnt lose any big FA that I can think of.  Though instead of just takong away picks the NFL could give us a comp pick at the end of the first due to the blatant miss call?

4 hours ago, Raves said:

I think they need to hit big in their next QB they have to groom after Brees.  Their defense is young and talented, they have some great weapons on offense and a good/great OL when healthy that will likely improve with time and increase cap amount.

Unfortunately I think the best QB the Saints have a chance at this year would be Will Grier in the 2nd and I don't think he's the answer for the Saints.  Kyler Murray could fall to the 2nd/spot for the Saints to draft him, but at 5'9 and needing to be in a shotgun only offense would be bad for the Saints since we don't have the caliber of receiving threats needed to make it work.  Maybe if Drew Locker falls into the later half of the 1st they could find a way to move up, but that means another future 1st going out the window possibly more.

Hopefully the odds of adding the next qb will look better going into next off season. I don’t know much about the class as of now, but I doubt their draft position will be any better than mid teens.  

Foles in that offense is an interesting thought.  Very small chances he would go there to be a backup, but he could win with that roster.  Fix up the back end of the secondary,  and the window is extended. 

Teddy also deserves more consideration too.  Who knows how he would look with an off season as starter and first team reps.  I wouldn’t necessarily be excited about him if I were a Saints fan, but there are worse options.

Ive always liked Brees but want to see what Peyton can do without him.

1 hour ago, KellChippy said:

Hopefully the odds of adding the next qb will look better going into next off season. I don’t know much about the class as of now, but I doubt their draft position will be any better than mid teens.  

Foles in that offense is an interesting thought.  Very small chances he would go there to be a backup, but he could win with that roster.  Fix up the back end of the secondary,  and the window is extended. 

Teddy also deserves more consideration too.  Who knows how he would look with an off season as starter and first team reps.  I wouldn’t necessarily be excited about him if I were a Saints fan, but there are worse options.

Ive always liked Brees but want to see what Peyton can do without him.

The back end of the secondary has steadily improved with Lattimore and then the addition of Apple.  The nickel and dime CBs are still a little hit and miss at times, but better than what we had been workign with.

Teddy is a FA and I doubt he would stay for what the Saints can afford to pay a backup QB.  The best I can see the Saints hoping for is if Brees retires after next season and Gruden isn't sold on Carr, trading our 1st for Carr.  I think he would work well with Payton.

Drew Brees doesn't have long. He doesn't have the zip or distance on his balls anymore. He is officially in Manning mode. That being said.... they have a lot of big pieces that can make a Superbowl. 

Kamara is a top 5 back, Thomas is a top 5 WR, Lattimore is a top 5 CB, that right there is some great pieces to have. They should do what the Rams did and go to FA and get that defense to elite level and see if you can't get Brees one more ring on what is almost assured his last year.

Brees has never had zip or distance on his balls. In 2006 his first season with the Saints he couldn't throw the ball more than 25 yards in the air. I'm not going to say it hasn't gotten a little worse the last couple of years, because it obviously has, but the Saints offense has always been set up to compensate for that. It's not a particularly new problem.

If we can get Ingram back on a hometown discount and corral a decent #1 TE, they could be a contender on paper for 1 more year. But everything has to go just right.

Archived