Which team is going to experience the biggest decline next year?

RaidersAreOne

On 1/21/2019 at 9:55 AM, Destructo Spin said:

Probably the Saints TBH. I don't see them coming back from this. It's the sort of thing that carries over into the next year. One of those you can bounce back but two in a row? Nah Look what happened to the Browns in the 80s after the drive and the fumble back to back years. They were never the same as an organization after that.

Dude, you guys are going to be more than fine. With Brees at the helm again next season you'll be right back in the playoffs as a contender. Things look bleak after last Sunday, but it shouldn't impact the team that much. Are you set to lose any major FAs?

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

This. Honestly i want even pretend like they dont have 14-2 potential because they do. But i dont trust the 'minds at work'.

Totally agree, and it's why I'm counting down on a train wreck of a 2019 season - I can't help but to think Cal McNair won't be as patient as Bob McNair was with Gary Kubiak and Dom Capers. A slow start after that horrendous playoff performance will force Cal to make decisions - and perhaps there's a diamond in the rough with QB coach Sean Ryan, who was able to maximize Deshaun Watson's ability with numerous injuries at WR and a very porous OL. 

To save this village, you have to burn it down, and another 0-3 start will get that fire raging.

Heck while i dont think itll happen, as much as i hate to say it, isnt Pittsburgh at least arguable to this discussion?

They may lose/trade AB, their defense has all kinds of problems. Cleveland has improved, Baltimore won the division...if this isnt a productive offseason for Pittsburgh, they could be staring a losing season in the face. 

7 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Let's say a hypothetical.  Let's say the Patriots win the SB, Brady and Gronk decide to retire.   Patriots go 3-13 and never make it to the SB again for the next decade. (That's an extreme scenario)

Bears is the wrong answer imo.  They're a very good team. 

The top choices for me are Cleveland, Baltimore, and Houston.

I know Cleveland improved, but it's cleveland.

As for Baltimore, they're not actually that good, neither is Lamar Jackson.

Houston...give it time, that team is destined to go 2-14.

original.gif

7 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Let's say a hypothetical.  Let's say the Patriots win the SB, Brady and Gronk decide to retire.   Patriots go 3-13 and never make it to the SB again for the next decade. (That's an extreme scenario)

Bears is the wrong answer imo.  They're a very good team. 

The top choices for me are Cleveland, Baltimore, and Houston.

I know Cleveland improved, but it's cleveland.

As for Baltimore, they're not actually that good, neither is Lamar Jackson.

Houston...give it time, that team is destined to go 2-14.

if your reason is because its Cleveland its a crap reason...

On 1/22/2019 at 6:33 PM, wackywabbit said:

The Chiefs may actually be the top candidate. I think they were THE best team in the regular season. But they were dependent on Mahomes being historically great and that type of season hasn't repeated before. If Mahomes is merely normal great that'll be a ways down for the Chiefs.

SBLIII covered this a bit, but I think what we have going for us that will offset is our defense was also kind of historically bad. Mahomes will almost certainly regress statistically. Even if he plays as well, the odds of him replicating the 5000 yards and 50 TDs are so slim. But the odds of us allowing 4700 passing yards and 2100 rushing yards again is also slim. If the offense is worse that will take some pressure off the defense, and similar to really great years, really terrible years tend to have some regression to the mean as well. I could easily see us scoring 40 or 50 points fewer, but also allowing a similar amount less. Regress to low end top 5 offense or something, but also elevate to the low 20s or something on defense. Other great years have had a similar trend. The 2014 Broncos regressed a lot offensively because they couldn't match the greatness of 2013, but the D had an easier team and just naturally improved as well, to counter that. 2005 Colts, same deal. 2012 Packers. Etc.

Might not happen, but I think the safest bet is both the terrible defense and amazing offense regress a little bit to the mean.

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Heck while i dont think itll happen, as much as i hate to say it, isnt Pittsburgh at least arguable to this discussion?

They may lose/trade AB, their defense has all kinds of problems. Cleveland has improved, Baltimore won the division...if this isnt a productive offseason for Pittsburgh, they could be staring a losing season in the face. 

I could see it. I also think Baltimore will take a step back unless Lamar greatly improves as a passer.

On 1/21/2019 at 9:09 AM, MikeT14 said:

Could finally be the Pats. Gronk retires, Brady maybe finally sorta regresses, a difference here and there. Not saying they won't be good, but maybe they go from SB appearance to first round exit?

Would that really be the biggest decline of any team in the NFL though?

I think it will be Pittsburgh.  They have an aging QB and obvious problems in the locker room.  They also have to deal with the Ravens and the Browns who could both be better than they are next year.

6 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Would that really be the biggest decline of any team in the NFL though?

I think it will be Pittsburgh.  They have an aging QB and obvious problems in the locker room.  They also have to deal with the Ravens and the Browns who could both be better than they are next year.

Im not arguing that the Steelers couldnt regress, but....

a) People have been using the aging QB thing for a few years now.     Ben may be regressing, but its at a slow pace.   Unless he falls off a cliff, he still gives us a better chance to win than most QBs.

b) The locker room issues are a bit overblown .  With LeVeon leaving, the only real issue is the feud between Ben and Brown....and that will be solved one way or another.     On top of that, the locker room issues had nothing to do with ANY of our losses.

c) I fully expect Cleveland to keep improving, but the question is how much?    Ravens dont scare me with Lamar Jackson unless he learns how to pass.     They will always be a tough game no matter what, but winning the way they did with Jackson at the end of 2018 is not a sustainable formula for lasting success.

The Steelers regressing depends largely on how Ben holds up and their ability to address the issues in the LB corps and secondary.     I dont have much faith in the latter, but I dont think Ben is going to fall off a cliff either.   He may decline a bit again, but I still expect him to be solid at worst.   Regardless of his issues this year, its not like he had a bad season by any means.  

Archived