Sign in to follow this  
Rich7sena

Mock Offseason 1

That would be terrible. Lions sit on their cap space and don't sign a single significant free agent and draft a player at #8 that doesn't really fit what they need in their defense?

I would love to get Ferrell for Carolina! I don't see him slipping that far though

The only main criticism I can make of the Rams' bit is that (outside of the fact that I think it's a less than 2% chance we re-sign Suh - and that 2% involves him taking a massive discount deal which we all know he's not going to do) the Rams' offseason strategy (which will only be bolstered by the fact that they've made the Super Bowl this season) is going after the vets that are cut/released to let them come in, "rebuild" (so to speak) their stock, and then go out to get that one (last) big payday - which in turn rewards the Rams a worthwhile comp pick down the line.

So with that kept in mind, I think it's far more likely to see them go after the likes of McCoy or Jackson than to re-sign Suh.  Similarly, I really don't see them pursuing Mathieu for that same reason.  Also, with regard to Peters - I'm not certain, but I don't believe that they can outright cut him.  It's possible they could rescind his 5th year option, but I think that has to be for cause otherwise it's fully guaranteed (again, could be wrong and if I am, please correct me because it'd be beneficial to know).  If they did let him go, I'd have a hard time believing they wouldn't be first in line to pursue a released Janoris Jenkins - assuming fences could be mended and that assumes the fence was really all that badly damaged in the first place - as opposed to Mathieu.

I do like the Byron Murphy pick and I'd admit, if there weren't any gaping holes on the defense, and he was there for the picking when we were up, I'd be upset if we didn't take him barring a whopper of a trade offer being tabled.  With Talib having only one year after this current one left on his contract, getting in his successor - and someone of the quality and with the ceiling of Murphy - would be ideal.

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

You could have done worst.  I do not see them passing on either Wilson/Bush/Baker for Sweat who I see as a hand on the ground 4-3 DE.

With Bush and Wilson on the board and all the issues they have had at ILB, I just do not see them passing on both of them.

Not only that...pulling an 0-fer in FA with close to $30 mil to spend while losing guys. 

I like the FA sigings for Denver....Tho I don't think we will go with 2 backup QBs in Keenum and Teddy B......but Amos is a very nice signing.

Give Cody Ford at 10 with Simmons gone and the Penn State CB at 41

90 million in cap space and all we get in Bobbie Massie?

You have teams signing guys that cant afford them.

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Speedster receivers always tend to go higher than anticipated. When all is said and done, I think Brown will be viewed as a similar prospect as John Ross, who went around the same place in 2017.

And that was a mistake by the Bengals. 

Also I doubt Brown is significantly faster than Metcalf or Harry to go "higher than anticipated" and be a top 10 pick

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

And that was a mistake by the Bengals. 

Also I doubt Brown is significantly faster than Metcalf or Harry to go "higher than anticipated" and be a top 10 pick

Not if they view Brown as a Tyreek Hill or T.Y. Hilton type. I'm not saying Brown is an amazing prospect, I"m just saying speedster receivers with immense production go higher than initial projections.

Metcalf doesn't have near the production of Brown and I think he has serious hands issues. Harry will run significantly slower than Brown or Metcalf.

I could live with this draft and FA for the Browns. We would need to address LB and we will almost certainly cut Jamie Collins but other then that 👍

Would like to see the Falcons get atleast 1 new talented FA considering we lost like 3 or 4 of them as it sits:(  I like keeping Grady for sure but we gotta add something to the OL or DL in FA as well. 

As for the 1st round pick im a big fan of Wilkins at DT and it's for sure a need for us so not a bad pick at all.   But honestly Ferrell at 14 to replace Beasley would be a better move as outside of Takk we literally have nothing besides Beasley at DE now really lol.   We atleast got Grady and Senat at DT which are talented but i want to keep beasley at a lower price tag and still get another DE to add to those 2.  Plus get a DT to add to Grady and Senat.

How would you feel about a Darryl Williams  OL to the Falcons in FA?  Even with getting a talented OL in FA we still have to find 2 more in either FA or in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft.

5 hours ago, atown703 said:

I would love to get Ferrell for Carolina! I don't see him slipping that far though

Im pretty sure he won't get past Atlanta if we indeed do cut Beasley that makes DE a SUPER HIGH PRIORITY on the list even more so than DT at that point.  Which means Ferrel would be a easy choice to atlanta then.  

14 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Would like to see the Falcons get atleast 1 new talented FA considering we lost like 3 or 4 of them as it sits:(  I like keeping Grady for sure but we gotta add something to the OL or DL in FA as well. 

As for the 1st round pick im a big fan of Wilkins at DT and it's for sure a need for us so not a bad pick at all.   But honestly Ferrell at 14 to replace Beasley would be a better move as outside of Takk we literally have nothing besides Beasley at DE now really lol.   We atleast got Grady and Senat at DT which are talented but i want to keep beasley at a lower price tag and still get another DE to add to those 2.  Plus get a DT to add to Grady and Senat.

How would you feel about a Darryl Williams  OL to the Falcons in FA?  Even with getting a talented OL in FA we still have to find 2 more in either FA or in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft.

Not going to speak for Rich, but just from my perspective, he did really only project about the top 2 or so tiers of the free agents at each position.

Now you guys do have a track record of managing to finagle a free agent at a surprisingly low(er) price each offseason it seems, but just looking at the crop of free agents out there, this is one of those pools where it doesn't really play to the type of free agents you guys pursue - and I mean that as a complement, because I've really never seen you as a team that bites hard on single-season or contract-year hype and ends up overpaying free agents as a result.

In short, I wouldn't expect you guys to not sign an FA DL, I'd just probably expect it to be more in the vein of how the Adrian Clayborn signing went down where you got a guy who was like a post-hype sleeper in that he'd underachieved well below what his previous hype had been, but then got into position where he was used more appropriately by you guys and hit a boom.  That said, I also think Rich went a little overboard with the cuts/releases here.  So I'm not really convinced you're losing Beasley.

53 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Not going to speak for Rich, but just from my perspective, he did really only project about the top 2 or so tiers of the free agents at each position.

Now you guys do have a track record of managing to finagle a free agent at a surprisingly low(er) price each offseason it seems, but just looking at the crop of free agents out there, this is one of those pools where it doesn't really play to the type of free agents you guys pursue - and I mean that as a complement, because I've really never seen you as a team that bites hard on single-season or contract-year hype and ends up overpaying free agents as a result.

In short, I wouldn't expect you guys to not sign an FA DL, I'd just probably expect it to be more in the vein of how the Adrian Clayborn signing went down where you got a guy who was like a post-hype sleeper in that he'd underachieved well below what his previous hype had been, but then got into position where he was used more appropriately by you guys and hit a boom.  That said, I also think Rich went a little overboard with the cuts/releases here.  So I'm not really convinced you're losing Beasley.

Fair enough explanation and i actually understand where you are coming from on the free agent thing.  We are usually good for 1 big FA signing thats a big need then we finagle some okish players for fair prices that fit our needs usually 2 or 3 of them.  you are 100% correct on that but no doubt we are always good for that 1 big one almost every year lol.    last few years it has been   2015 - Sanu  2016 Alex Mack   2017 Dontari Poe   2018 - Only had like 8 mil cap space couldn't do it with Ryans contract coming lol.

As said really only 1 good 1 we use big money on when we have it which this year we got a bit to play with.  Then like 2 or 3 lower tier guys who are solid but work for us like you said.    I actually hope we do keep beasley i still see talent there that can flourish in the right position and with a mentor like Irvin.   He looked much better while irvin was here at the end of the year and his best year to date was under Freeney's mentorship.   We need to resign Irvin and keep beasley and a lower price tag.   If we can do those 2 things then i say a 3rd round edge rusher like oshane ximines to pair with Beasley, Takk, and Irvin would be a good group.   This would then allow us to go DT and OG/OT in rounds 1 and 2.  But if we lose Beasley and Irvin then Ferrell would probably need to be the pick if there for us.  That and Ferrell is MUCH BETTER value there of the 2.