NFL announces 5 international games for 2019

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Chargers as well, what could be a key game to decide the division. 

The Chargers don't even have a home field advantage as it is. Playing it in Mexico if anything we mean there may be a lower % of Cheif fans there.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

At this point, I think they've built up enough familiarity in London to help. 

Kinda cool to see the Texans in London. Gonna have to find a good breakfast buffet with bottomless mimosas or bloody mary's for that one...

I'm a fan in London. We really don't give a damn about the Jags. So many fans this side of the pond picked franchises as the sport got big here either in the late 90's or again in the mid to late 00's (hence why there is a stupid amount of Patriots, Steelers and Chargers fans and also Packers, Giants and Eagles fans - teams doing well around that time - Chargers excepted). The Jags - Eagles game this year was dominated by Eagles fans from UK and who came from stateside.

36 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

meh...I don't get this NFL's obsession with international games. If it's NBA, then atleast that's understandable. Basketball is global sport. Football will never become popular outside America. No other country outside America plays the sport & moreover, the rules are also tough to understand for international fans who is new & trying to get into the sport. It doesn't even require this international fanbase. It's still the richest league in the world despite not much exposure in international markets.

American Football is fast growing sport in terms of popularity. UK Twitter was dominated by certain hashtags last night and it had little to do with the soccer games over here.

How are the rules so much tougher than the intricacies of Tennis or Basketball or Cricket? If your interested you'll take the time to learn them just like any other sport or hobby.

I'll wait to see if Cam is actually playing this year and if the Jags bother to get a decent QB before buying tickets for enxt year.

13 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

None of which like the idea of having to travel across the world while also losing a home game.

But do they like the idea of money? The cap rises each year because of this stuff. The more popular the game gets, the more ways fans will have of watching, the more funds teams will have to pay players, and the more cap space players will have to increase their salaries. I mean, this stuff isn't hard. The more popular the game, the more money that comes in. That benefits everyone.

The 5 teams losing "home games" - 3 rank in the bottom 5 of attendance numbers. One offered themselves to do it, one barely has a home stadium, and one's city is trying to evict them. 

9 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

But do they like the idea of money? The cap rises each year because of this stuff. The more popular the game gets, the more ways fans will have of watching, the more funds teams will have to pay players, and the more cap space players will have to increase their salaries. I mean, this stuff isn't hard. The more popular the game, the more money that comes in. That benefits everyone.

The 5 teams losing "home games" - 3 rank in the bottom 5 of attendance numbers. One offered themselves to do it, one barely has a home stadium, and one's city is trying to evict them. 

International games are hardly the reason for cap rises. The cap was rising every year before this and the league was doing just fine.

Ontop of that, the league has actually lost money on London games because of how much it costs teams and the league to host it.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/ct-nfl-games-in-london-lose-money-20160929-story.html

In the 10 years the National Football League has played in London, tickets for all but one of the 14 games have sold out, including seats for this season's matches, which start Sunday with the Indianapolis Colts and the Jacksonville Jaguars at Wembley Stadium.

For all that popularity, the games are still losing money, said Mark Waller, the NFL's head of international development. The productions are extraordinarily expensive, and the league has yet to make enough from British broadcast rights, ticket sales and sponsorships to offset the costs.

Still, the games are very expensive to stage. Each team travels with around 180 people including players, coaches, trainers and other personnel who all need to be flown over, lodged and fed. Add the league's technical staff, cheerleaders and more, and the NFL is paying for first-class travel for nearly 500 people.

The league also pays to rent Wembley Arena and training facilities for each team for the duration of their stays. It also covers the cost of promotion and events that go on for days -- costs that would, in the U.S., be born by the local franchise.

The costs are only going up, at least in the short term. Last year the league signed a 10-year partnership with the Premier League's Tottenham, pledging to play a minimum of two games per year at its new stadium, which is slated to open in 2018, plus at least two at Wembley through 2020.

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

NFL = NATIONAL Football League
AFC = AMERICAN Football Conference
NFC = NATIONAL Football Conference

I hate this international crap. It's not good for the players, the teams or the fans. It's only good for a quick money grab by the owners.  

What about the millions of fans who don't live in the USA?

Brother, if losing money by spending it to be there was an issue....they wouldn't still be doing it and they wouldn't be considering putting a franchise there. The popularity of the game growing impacts the revenues and bottom line of every player, coach, owner, and even fan in the NFL. 

And you kinda missed some really important quotes:

That's going to change quickly, Waller said. By continuing to play games in London -- and making them free to watch via the BBC -- the NFL has succeeded in slowly building a fan base. Half of the fans who went to a game at Wembley last year had been to a previous football game, and one-third bought tickets to the full series.

With enough fans, Waller said, "media values go up, your sponsor values go up and the commercial side of the arrangement reaches scale." As it is, the price of the U.K. media rights for the NFL has already doubled since thNew York Giants beat the Miami Dolphins at Wembley in 2007, and Waller said they will be more valuable when they come up for bid again. The BBC owns the rights to the London games and the Super Bowl for the next two years; Sky Sports will air the NFL's U.S. games in the U.K. through 2019.

Tickets sell for around $130 on average, compared to $86 in the U.S., and with more than 80,000 seats, Wembley is 25 percent bigger than most NFL stadiums. Last year, gate revenue averaged more than $10 million. For the Jaguars, who have a multi-year deal to play in London, the Wembley games are far more lucrative than their own games in Florida, where they average 61,000 fans at much lower ticket prices.

The NFL is essentially paying for a fan base, that fan base is growing -- the revenues grow with it. Nothing in the article touches on what international sales have been like since the start of the games. What does jersey and memorabilia look like? How has it impacted the TV money from getting an extra game and advertisement from CBS, Amazon, Yahoo, NBC, Fox -- for the additional games each year? How has this impacted individuals on a international marketing level? I mean, the article even says if they double what they did (2 years ago) they more than break even -- and when the rights come up, and the popularity continues to grow, the revenue will continue to grow. 

Amazons Thursday night agreement rose about 30% YOY. Fox gave the NFL $3.3B for Thursday. These things dont happen without growth of the fanbase of football -- growth happens by expanding. London = Expansion. 

1 hour ago, Magnifico said:

I'm a fan in London. We really don't give a damn about the Jags. So many fans this side of the pond picked franchises as the sport got big here either in the late 90's or again in the mid to late 00's (hence why there is a stupid amount of Patriots, Steelers and Chargers fans and also Packers, Giants and Eagles fans - teams doing well around that time - Chargers excepted). The Jags - Eagles game this year was dominated by Eagles fans from UK and who came from stateside

Makes sense. That Texans/Jags game might be pretty thin on the excitement level then - not like either team has a tradition of winning.

2 hours ago, upriser7 said:

No other country outside America plays the sport & moreover, the rules are also tough to understand for international fans who is new & trying to get into the sport

Boy are you wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIG6_European_Football_League

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Football_League

The sport is played in European countries such as Switzerland, which has American football clubs in every major city,[172] and Germany, where the sport has around 45,000 registered amateur players.[167]In Europe, almost all nations have their own leagues.

Sure, not as popular as over here.. but to say no other country outside of America plays it, is simply wrong. NFL/NBA/MLB Merchandise is pretty popular in Europe so yeah, i can see why they have the international games.

1 hour ago, BigMountainGoat said:

What about the millions of fans who don't live in the USA?

I'm sorry this may sound harsh but I have no sympathy for them. It's called the NFL, not the IFL.

50 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

Plenty of fans travel from the US to London and think it's great

Maybe to visit on a vacation, sure, (Hell I would like to visit some day (boat only. I don't fly)) but only a very small percentage of US citizens actually attend NFL games in London.

Don't quote me on this, but I thought read an article before that said only about 3% of attendees were US citizens or were originally from the US. Most of which who I presume did not actually plan a flight to London just to watch a game. So that 3%, if true, would be considerably lower.

48 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Brother, if losing money by spending it to be there was an issue....they wouldn't still be doing it and they wouldn't be considering putting a franchise there. The popularity of the game growing impacts the revenues and bottom line of every player, coach, owner, and even fan in the NFL. 

I get that they're growing a fan base and it's a future investment that the league has yet to reap the benefits from. I'm just saying the cap has not been rising due to having games played internationally. In the future, yes. But not at this time. Again the league was doing just fine before and are doing just fine now without it. 

3 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

NFL = NATIONAL Football League
AFC = AMERICAN Football Conference
NFC = NATIONAL Football Conference

I hate this international crap. It's not good for the players, the teams or the fans. It's only good for a quick money grab by the owners.  

So we're just forgetting the NHL and NBA? ;)

22 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I get that they're growing a fan base and it's a future investment that the league has yet to reap the benefits from. I'm just saying the cap has not been rising due to having games played internationally. In the future, yes. But not at this time. Again the league was doing just fine before and are doing just fine now without it. 

Who says that they are not reaping the benefits from it now? The article, as i mentioned before, only stats they haven't recouped the money from the direct London based activities - gate price, broadcast, and sponsorships. Never mentioned anything about the impact of international sales. I also mentioned the Amazon streaming price rising 30% YOY and Fox's $3.3B Thursday for a reason - those things are impacted and grown because of the popularity of the sport. Opening up the game to one of the biggest financial markets in the world has DIRECT impact on the bottom line, regardless of losing money on the actual events itself. The league revenues in total are greater because of the expansion to the world market.

You are right, the salary cap did rise prior to the London games, and most likely would have continued to rise without. But look at the jumps that have taken place since the London games have gained more games. Since the league has gone to multiple London games per year in 2013, the Salary cap has jumped over $10M per year -- 2019 marking the 7th straight year of that size jump. 

Its not the only factor, but it plays a major part in the financial situation the NFL is currently in. 

I mean seriously, if we are losing money on London games right now....just imagine what revenues will be for the league when the London market catches up. 

Archived