NFL announces 5 international games for 2019

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

NFL = NATIONAL Football League
AFC = AMERICAN Football Conference
NFC = NATIONAL Football Conference

I hate this international crap. It's not good for the players, the teams or the fans. It's only good for a quick money grab by the owners.  

National? It doesn't specify which nation.

American? Mexico is part of the American continent. It doesn't specify the United States of America Conference.

52 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Who says that they are not reaping the benefits from it now? The article, as i mentioned before, only stats they haven't recouped the money from the direct London based activities - gate price, broadcast, and sponsorships. Never mentioned anything about the impact of international sales. I also mentioned the Amazon streaming price rising 30% YOY and Fox's $3.3B Thursday for a reason - those things are impacted and grown because of the popularity of the sport. Opening up the game to one of the biggest financial markets in the world has DIRECT impact on the bottom line, regardless of losing money on the actual events itself. The league revenues in total are greater because of the expansion to the world market.

You are right, the salary cap did rise prior to the London games, and most likely would have continued to rise without. But look at the jumps that have taken place since the London games have gained more games. Since the league has gone to multiple London games per year in 2013, the Salary cap has jumped over $10M per year -- 2019 marking the 7th straight year of that size jump. 

Its not the only factor, but it plays a major part in the financial situation the NFL is currently in. 

The rise in things such as streaming services, network contracts, etc can't be attributed directly to the European market since that is just the nature of growing technology that would have been there regardless. 

The Salary cap has been rising the same way it usually does following a new CBA agreement as you can see below. So again you're trying to credit the expansion as a being direct result of cap increases when in fact it would have done so anyhow with or without it.

CBA Years since Salary Cap Avg yearly % increase Med % increase
1995-2005 7.8% 6.9%
2006-2009 (2010 uncapped) 8.6% 6.2%
2011-2018 5.4% 7.0%

Year Maximum team salary % Increase
1994 34.608 --%
1995 37.1 6.7%
1996 40.753 9.0%
1997 41.454 1.7%
1998 52.388 20.9%
1999 57.288 8.6%
2000 62.172 7.9%
2001 67.405 7.8%
2002 71.101 5.2%
2003 75.007 5.2%
2004 80.582 6.9%
2005 85.5 5.8%
2006 102 16.2%
2007 109 6.4%
2008 116 6.0%
2009 123 5.7%
2010 Uncapped --%
2011 120 --%
2012 120.6 0.5%
2013 123 2.0%
2014 133 7.5%
2015 143.28 7.2%
2016 155.27 7.7%
2017 167 7.0%
2018 177.2 5.8%

I mean seriously, if we are losing money on London games right now....just imagine what revenues will be for the league when the London market catches up. 

Oh it's going to be great for London's economy. But I doubt it's ever going to really catch up at all. And even if it does, I doubt they would do much better in London than they would here.

48 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

So you have no sympathy for the millions of Americans who live abroad?

Not when it comes to the NFL, no. And as I pointed out that % of people is very small anyhow.

48 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

National? It doesn't specify which nation.

Look up the word national in the dictionary.

^^That kind of speaks for itself. American football.

51 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

American? Mexico is part of the American continent. It doesn't specify the United States of America Conference.

Lol You got this all wrong my friend.

America is not a continent. The US and Mexico are two entirely separate countries located in the North American continent.

We have Canada to the north and Mexico to the south. All 3 are entirely different.

8 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

For the life of me, I never understood why they ever did AFC vs NFC games in London.  The home team has to go 16 years between hosting that team when they move it to an international site.  I have a friend who is a Washington fan, and I was going to take him a couple of years ago.  But I can't say for sure that I'll keep the tickets six more years.  I know it would take some work, but couldn't they try to focus on intra-conference games for these, since teams play each other way more?

Please pass our condolences along to your friend.

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I hate this international crap. It's not good for the players, the teams or the fans. It's only good for a quick money grab by the owners.  

Agreed. Stop making international (or at least overseas) games happen.

Just now, ninjapirate said:

It's also two times higher in elevation than denver should never have any teams play there period.

Prior to JerryWorld being built, Azteca Stadium in Mexico City held the single game attendance record due to the Chiefs-49ers game there in 2004 or 2005.

9 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Your grandpa argued against the league expanding from 8 teams to 12, I bet.

To get the most out of the London games the NFL really should set them all at 9:30 AM and sell them as a separate TV package, with ABC my preference (even if it has to wait until the next contract, at which point ABC could add half of the TNF package (simulcast with NFLN, having all TNF games simulcast over the air will require negotiating with the NFL Network's carriers to do so since currently some games have to be just on NFLN), a Divisional Playoff game, and entering the Super Bowl rotation as well, with none of ABC's playoff games simulcast on ESPN in the new contract).

Also I feel there should be 2 games in Mexico City this coming season to make up for last year (it's called compensation).

People moaning about International games need to accept reality, the league is intent on international expansion. Games in Brazil and Germany are on the way, and a London franchise is the clear intent. There is an obvious route we're on now to having a complete International round of matches with every team playing overseas once per year

You can sit and moan, but it won't do anything. The league realise revenue growth is limited in the USA and that International markets are where real growth potential exists

Embrace the idea, you never know, you might like it

6 hours ago, pf9 said:

To get the most out of the London games the NFL really should set them all at 9:30 AM and sell them as a separate TV package, with ABC my preference (even if it has to wait until the next contract, at which point ABC could add half of the TNF package (simulcast with NFLN, having all TNF games simulcast over the air will require negotiating with the NFL Network's carriers to do so since currently some games have to be just on NFLN), a Divisional Playoff game, and entering the Super Bowl rotation as well, with none of ABC's playoff games simulcast on ESPN in the new contract).

Also I feel there should be 2 games in Mexico City this coming season to make up for last year (it's called compensation).

I hope the 4 London games are in the 9:30 AM slot. Some people say "diluted", I like more football. 

I know the Patriots have said they want to play in Germany. Wonder who would play in Brazil. 

Archived