NFL announces 5 international games for 2019

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Technically, you stole Marvin Lewis from us.

True, but let's just agree to blame Tampa. 

Had they not backed out on their verbal deal to hire him, he goes straight to Tampa without the stint as your DC and our stint as HC.  If Marvin never gets hired here, maybe Gruden stays in the Arena league until his brother  hired him for the Raiders.

Just now, INbengalfan said:

True, but let's just agree to blame Tampa. 

200.gif

Just now, INbengalfan said:

Had they not backed out on their verbal deal to hire him, he goes straight to Tampa without the stint as your DC and our stint as HC.  If Marvin never gets hired here, maybe Gruden stays in the Arena league until his brother  hired him for the Raiders.

giphy.gif

Edit for weird letter characters...?????

3 hours ago, Activated10 said:

This is foolish, let other fans around the world enjoy the great game that is football.

First of all, to call someone foolish for having a different view than your own only reeks of self-rightous arrogance. This pretentious attitude is especially an ugly look when you are showing it in a post where you are accusing someone else of being selfish and having a selfish attitude. Now, if you would like to have a discussion on the topic, let's have one. But I'm sure we can do it in a more mature fashion. Cool? Moving on....

let other fans around the world enjoy the great game that is football.

Nothing is stopping anyone from enjoying the game. You wanna go to a game, then plan a trip. You wanna watch it, then get the international gamepass. Which by the way is a HELL OF ALOT better than the domestic version that is offered to us here in the states - which is why it is teh version I usually get every year. With the UK version you get live games with no restrictions, the NFL network and Redzone. None of which are offered to us.

Stop being so selfish, we should all want NFL to grow globally as it helps make the sport even better.

How is it being selfish to want to watch a sport with even balance? And it certainly does not make the sport any better, it only hurts it. That's the biggest problem. Why do you think the majority of fans, players and staff all hate it? In case you don't know, here are a few reasons why.

--By all accounts the long flights causes jet lag and in turn affects a player's performance. Which means you are more than likely not seeing both teams playing at their best. Now I have never traveled by plane but I used to travel(drive) ALOT so I can certainly relate to similar symptoms and how it affects you. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000712568/Palmer-Players-working-through-jet-lag-in-London

--Allen Robinson, who has been to London games numerous times, has talked about how the long flights and travel conditions are also hard on the body and how it slowed down his recovery process.

--Kenny Britt had this to say: "I hated everything about it. I hated the flight. I hated us being there so long. I hated the flight back. I hated the food."

--John Harbaugh had this to say: "Maybe I'll get in trouble for saying this - don't plan on going over there anytime soon."

https://www.king5.com/article/opinion/silvi-nfl-force-feeding-london-games-but-how-are-players-reacting/281-507672438

A little harsh, but he's not alone. Since the league started playing games in London in 2007, animosity has been on the rise among players. They don't like the long trips and the unfamiliar surroundings that come with the London games.

The fans are the backbone of the NFL, which is largely made up of Americans. It hurts the league when TV ratings plummet all because the majority of their largest fan base are not even tuning to watch these London games. Including most of the fans of those teams.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not but here in the states we have 6 different time zones and depending on where you live the London games come on anywhere from 4am-9am. The live air time is simply too impractical and too inconvenient. Even for those like myself who lucky enough to live in the eastern time zone are not even bothering to watch it. I already spend 10 hours every Sunday watching football from 1pm-11pm. There is no way in hell I'm sitting there for 3 or 4 more. It's too much.

This selfish attitude is what will stagnate the growth of the league 

No, unless you have been living under a rock, the league itself and how it is being run is what is going to stagnate the growth.

On 21/01/2019 at 5:49 PM, upriser7 said:

meh...I don't get this NFL's obsession with international games. If it's NBA, then atleast that's understandable. Basketball is global sport. Football will never become popular outside America. No other country outside America plays the sport & moreover, the rules are also tough to understand for international fans who is new & trying to get into the sport. It doesn't even require this international fanbase. It's still the richest league in the world despite not much exposure in international markets.

There are professional leagues outside of the US, but the standard obviously is nowhere near the professional level in the US. You’ll also find non-professional leagues in most countries in Europe and parts of Asia.

You do have players like Boeringher and Obada who made it directly to the NFL from leagues in Europe (and guys who got to big college programmes after playing as kids in Europe) so there is some talent there, but the coaching and competition isn’t at a level to develop it fully. 

On 2019-01-22 at 10:06 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

Edit for weird letter characters...?????

First of all, to call someone foolish for having a different view than your own only reeks of self-rightous arrogance. This pretentious attitude is especially an ugly look when you are showing it in a post where you are accusing someone else of being selfish and having a selfish attitude. Now, if you would like to have a discussion on the topic, let's have one. But I'm sure we can do it in a more mature fashion. Cool? Moving on....

Nothing is stopping anyone from enjoying the game. You wanna go to a game, then plan a trip. You wanna watch it, then get the international gamepass. Which by the way is a HELL OF ALOT better than the domestic version that is offered to us here in the states - which is why it is teh version I usually get every year. With the UK version you get live games with no restrictions, the NFL network and Redzone. None of which are offered to us.

How is it being selfish to want to watch a sport with even balance? And it certainly does not make the sport any better, it only hurts it. That's the biggest problem. Why do you think the majority of fans, players and staff all hate it? In case you don't know, here are a few reasons why.

--By all accounts the long flights causes jet lag and in turn affects a player's performance. Which means you are more than likely not seeing both teams playing at their best. Now I have never traveled by plane but I used to travel(drive) ALOT so I can certainly relate to similar symptoms and how it affects you. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000712568/Palmer-Players-working-through-jet-lag-in-London

--Allen Robinson, who has been to London games numerous times, has talked about how the long flights and travel conditions are also hard on the body and how it slowed down his recovery process.

--Kenny Britt had this to say: "I hated everything about it. I hated the flight. I hated us being there so long. I hated the flight back. I hated the food."

--John Harbaugh had this to say: "Maybe I'll get in trouble for saying this - don't plan on going over there anytime soon."

https://www.king5.com/article/opinion/silvi-nfl-force-feeding-london-games-but-how-are-players-reacting/281-507672438

The fans are the backbone of the NFL, which is largely made up of Americans. It hurts the league when TV ratings plummet all because the majority of their largest fan base are not even tuning to watch these London games. Including most of the fans of those teams.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not but here in the states we have 6 different time zones and depending on where you live the London games come on anywhere from 4am-9am. The live air time is simply too impractical and too inconvenient. Even for those like myself who lucky enough to live in the eastern time zone are not even bothering to watch it. I already spend 10 hours every Sunday watching football from 1pm-11pm. There is no way in hell I'm sitting there for 3 or 4 more. It's too much.

No, unless you have been living under a rock, the league itself and how it is being run is what is going to stagnate the growth.

Obviously they can see it on TV and plan a trip to America but there something special going to NFL game at your own home where you can with way more friends and family than planning a trip where that becomes more limited so would like international fans to have ultimate experience. 

I didn't mean to make you upset calling your comment foolish, was just disagreeing. I apologize 

These maybe not be the best for players but they got realize it helps grows the game internationally which means more money for there pockets. 

Obviously the game is growing big time in the US, but so much more growth can be made going internationally. Three is reason every sport in America is trying to grow their game internationally, potential growth is too much to pass up just to keep it in America and NFL is still a business 

I don't see why there should be international games, although I'm not personally complaining. 

If this was England Premier League sides were being uprooted for a league game, it would lead to absolute chaos. I know there's a slight difference, but I feel for the fans who miss a game even though I get to go. The interest is certainly there in England, even if it's mainly for merchandise. I can't remember the last football/soccer game I went to where I didn't see a hat for a NFL side. We have a hell of a lot of Rams hats, usually see about 4-5 a game, but there's a lot of variation too - Cowboys, Falcons, Packers, Pats, Bills, Jags, Raiders...etc. 

As for the time being an inconvenience, I had to get into a pattern of ensuring I'm up from 6pm-3am most Sundays, with work 8am (5 hours) the next day. I'm as ready for a break as the players! 

On 2/2/2019 at 11:17 AM, DerbyRam said:

If this was England Premier League sides were being uprooted for a league game, it would lead to absolute chaos. I know there's a slight difference, but I feel for the fans who miss a game even though I get to go.

Yes, but the EPL isn't the only big domestic football (soccer) league. Other leagues can do the job of opening up foreign markets & increasing international interest in the code. 

I'm pretty sure La Liga signed a contract last year to take regular season games to the US. (Met with resistance of course)

However, even if big leagues don't take regular season games overseas, they can still play exhibition matches/tournaments to a decent standard. 

Football (American) doesn't have that luxury. Both the NFL & College take regular season games overseas - because it's the only way to ensure a higher standard of play. Just look at the pitiful standard of football played in the Pro Bowl. Regular season games provide incentive to play hard, exhibition games don't. Especially, when it comes to collision sports.

Various Rugby Union organisations employ similar strategies with the games they take to America (Both in terms of Internationals & domestic club games). The Gallagher Premiership plays regular season games in the States, & International Test Matches involving top 10 tier one nations are also regularly played there (South Africa v. Wales / New Zealand v. Ireland, etc...)  ... They also base an annual Rugby Union Sevens tournament (Leg) of the HSBC World Sevens Series in Las Vegas. And, last year they held the Sevens World Cup in San Francisco.   

Archived