2019 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting RG

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting RG position?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting RG position?

• Retain Mike Remmers
    • Sign an external free agent (state preference in thread)
    • Draft a replacement (state preference in thread)
    • Promote Danny Isidora
    • Other (state preference in thread)

We did this last a couple of years ago, I think it's time to drag it back up to evaluate where the Vikings go from here, so they can make a triumphant return to the playoffs next year.  Let's move on to the starting RG position...

2018 depth at the position:  Mike Remmers, Danny Isidora

2019 Outgoing Free Agents: None

Potential Free Agents Available: J.R. Sweezy (Seahawks),  Byron Bell (Packers), Jeff Allen (Chiefs), Jamon Brown (Giants), Mark Glowinski (Colts), Arie Kouandjio (Washington), AJ Cann (Jaguars)

Potential Draftees:   Chris Lindstrom (Boston College), Michael Deiter (Wisconsin), Darryl Williams (Mississippi St), Cody Ford (Oklahoma), Michael Jordan (Ohio State)

What should the Vikings do to improve this position?  Sign a free agent, Draft a replacement, or Promote from Within?  For the record, any of the options chosen other than retaining Remmers means that you believe the Vikings should either renegotiate or outright cut Mike Remmers.

I selected "sign an external free agent" but that is only because they need to do that before getting to the draft. They should also draft an eventual replacement for whoever they sign. That guy would hopefully be a good backup for a year or two. If he wins the starting job even earlier that would be fantastic.

It doesn't have to be a free agent they sign before the draft. The team also could trade for a player. The point is they need a guy they can count on as a starter before the draft and they have no such guy currently on the roster.

Personally, I lean towards cutting Remmers and signing a free agent replacement (one of the younger guys coming off his rookie deal), while drafting the replacement on the left side (to compete with a re-signed Easton for the starting LG spot).  I think that's the most cost-effective solution with highest chance for an upgrade.  

20 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd draft a starter and sign one for both guard spots. I'd prefer to use a high pick at RG because it's generally the more valued Guard position.

Just curious, why is RG more valued than LG?

Thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, since72 said:

Just curious, why is RG more valued than LG?

Thanks in advance.

I was curious myself, basically, what I've understood from reading about it is that the RG is often left one-on-one with a right-handed QB because the center often is forced to the left side to help the LG protect the left side, especially on roll-outs to the right (which is more often where the QB rolls out).  Somebody can correct me if that's wrong.    

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I was curious myself, basically, what I've understood from reading about it is that the RG is often left one-on-one with a right-handed QB because the center often is forced to the left side to help the LG protect the left side, especially on roll-outs to the right (which is more often where the QB rolls out).  Somebody can correct me if that's wrong.    

Correct. Seems like most of the premium dollars go to RGs too. There are certainly exceptions like Osemele getting paid as he did and Nelson ending up at LG as a top 5 pick. Just seems that RGs on average are higher paid and drafted earlier. 

2 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Get rid of Compton and Remmers. 

Try to find a decent G in FA (Glowinski, McCann)

Draft a starting OL in rounds 1 or 2 (preferably with G-T flexibility).

Draft another OL in Rounds 3-5.

Best players win starting RG and LG positions 

I agree with this though I'd like to bring back Compton or Easton as a backup, someone who can compete with a rookie too. I'd also add a mid round Guard or Tackle. Basically, I think it would be ideal to get 1 Guard and 1 Tackle/Guard both with potential of pushing for a starting job fairly early in their careers. Might be wishful thinking.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

I agree with this though I'd like to bring back Compton or Easton as a backup, someone who can compete with a rookie too. I'd also add a mid round Guard or Tackle. Basically, I think it would be ideal to get 1 Guard and 1 Tackle/Guard both with potential of pushing for a starting job fairly early in their careers. Might be wishful thinking.

Exactly. If we can get Compton or Easton back on a 1 year $2 million deal or so I think that either one of those guys could at least push a rookie at the LG spot.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd keep Easton for competition/depth.  Draft OL in Round 1 (Risner, Ford, Little, Taylor) or Round 2 (Edwards, Lindstrom, Bradbury, Cajuste).  And follow up in Round 3-4 (Deiter, Samia, McGary, Benschawel, Pierschbacher, Bar). 

The OL would be something like this

T:  Reiff, O'Neill, Hill,

G/T: Risner

G:  Glowinski, Isadora, Bar

C: Elflein

C/G Easton

Archived